moderated Searching for "User Names" in Members #suggestion

Andy I

User profiles can have a "User Name".  I don't know how significant it is.  Its use appears to be limited to about three places:
  1. in Chats,
  2. in one's Profile ID (as in "https://groups.io/g/groupname/profile/@UserName" versus "https://groups.io/g/groupname/profile/123456"),
  3. and at the top of the user's Profile page.

I don't use Chats in groups.io.

If I have identified someone with their profile page (which I got by clicking on their name at the top of a message), I know their Display Name and their User Name if they have one.  I might want to see their full membership information.  But I can't search the Members list (Admin > Members) for their User Name.  Apparently, User Names are not indexed and cannot be searched within the Members list.

My suggestion is to make it possible to Search for User Names in the Members list.  I offer this suggestion but I don't know if this is actually worthwhile.  It is frustrating to know someone's User Name and not be able to find them in the Members list, especially when groups.io dangles the User Name in front of us.

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 10:45 PM, Andy I wrote:
My suggestion is to make it possible to Search for User Names in the Members list.
You can access members'  usernames by making an API call to the /getmemberdiectory endpoint.  I have a Python script that returns details from that call and could modify it and send you a copy if you wish.

Regards
Andy

Duane

On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 04:45 PM, Andy I wrote:
If I have identified someone with their profile page (which I got by clicking on their name at the top of a message), I know their Display Name and their User Name if they have one.  I might want to see their full membership information.
On the Profile page, I click on All Messages By This Member, click on a message, click More, and click Member Page.  Of course, that won't work if they've never posted.

On all the Profile pages I looked at, the Display Name (which can be searched for on the member page) is shown just before the User Name at the top, but I don't know if this is universal.

Duane

Andy I

On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 07:04 PM, Duane wrote:
On the Profile page, I click on All Messages By This Member, click on a message, click More, and click Member Page.  Of course, that won't work if they've never posted.

Thanks, that helps.  Now I hope I can remember that.

On all the Profile pages I looked at, the Display Name (which can be searched for on the member page) is shown just before the User Name at the top, but I don't know if this is universal.

The Display Name can be blank, and many of my group's members have no Display Name.  The other problem is, searching with a Display Name can come back with over 100 members with (or containing) that name, and then I need to manually check each of them, one by one.

But the other suggestions do help.

As for using the API call, I'm not up for that yet.  Perhaps I should learn.

Andy

On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 2:45 PM Andy I <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

My suggestion is to make it possible to Search for User Names in the Members list.  I offer this suggestion but I don't know if this is actually worthwhile.  It is frustrating to know someone's User Name and not be able to find them in the Members list, especially when groups.io dangles the User Name in front of us.

This bug has been fixed.

Andy I

On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 08:18 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
This bug has been fixed.

Awesome!

Thanks for all the recent fixes.  (On this and other issues.)

Andy

Duane

On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 07:18 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 2:45 PM Andy I <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

My suggestion is to make it possible to Search for User Names in the Members list.

This bug has been fixed.
Just so it's clear to all, you have to look for the User Name without the @ prefix.

Duane