Search/collapse #bug


Duane
 

Found a gremlin this morning.  I went to a group and searched for "wipers won't stop" with/without quotes.  Found 27/29 messages, selected Collapse Topics and got 0 results.  Search box had changed to Wipers+won%27t+stop.

Thanks,
Duane


 

Happens for me, also, but only with the quotes. Not without.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 8:30 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
Found a gremlin this morning.  I went to a group and searched for "wipers won't stop" with/without quotes.  Found 27/29 messages, selected Collapse Topics and got 0 results.  Search box had changed to Wipers+won%27t+stop.


This was a tough gremlin to chase down, but I think I have done it. I ended up touching a lot of the pagination code throughout the site. While I have tested it, I'm not ready to generally release it yet. So, I've set up a test web server.

If you have a few minutes, I would appreciate it if you (the general beta@ you, not just Duane) would go to https://groups.io/settest/pagination to use the test server. You'll know you're using the test server because at the top of the page it will say 'TEST VERSION'. Please play around with paging throughout the various parts of your groups, do searches including funny characters, etc, and let me know if you see anything weird.

To get back to the normal site, just click on the 'TEST VERSION' text in the header.

Thanks!
Mark 


Duane
 

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 03:50 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
This was a tough gremlin to chase down, but I think I have done it.
If it was easy, anyone could do it! ;>)

let me know if you see anything weird.
Still a glitch when the search is in quotes, "wipers won't stop".  Using Collapse returns all topics in the group.  I thought maybe it was related to the apostrophe, but even something like "sale" returns all topics.  I didn't do much other checking.

Thanks,
Duane


 

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 1:59 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

Still a glitch when the search is in quotes, "wipers won't stop".  Using Collapse returns all topics in the group.  I thought maybe it was related to the apostrophe, but even something like "sale" returns all topics.  I didn't do much other checking.

Bah. You're right. Still broke. Working on it.

Thanks,
Mark 


 

I tried it a couple of seconds ago, and got "the search produced no topics" after collapsing a search in quotes that did correctly return messages.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 03:36 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I tried it a couple of seconds ago
I mentioned the timeframe because you are probably still working on it. :-)
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

Hello,

I think I've fixed it. Sure, it's gonna work now, I believe it! :-) Please try out the test server: https://groups.io/settest/pagination

Thanks!
Mark


 

I wanted so much to believe this, but nope. Just tried it, and collapsing wiped out all the results again.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 2:15 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I wanted so much to believe this, but nope. Just tried it, and collapsing wiped out all the results again.

Can you reproduce this searching the beta archives, and if so, what is the search you're doing?

Thanks,
Mark 


 

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 02:18 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Can you reproduce this searching the beta archives, and if so, what is the search you're doing?
Yes. I used "searching the beta archives"
It produced two results, and when collapsed, shrunk down to zero.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 2:27 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 02:18 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Can you reproduce this searching the beta archives, and if so, what is the search you're doing?
Yes. I used "searching the beta archives"
It produced two results, and when collapsed, shrunk down to zero.
 
Hmmm, it's working for me. Please make sure you're using the test instance (it will say "TEST VERSION" at the top of the page). If that's not it, which browser are you using?

Thanks,
Mark 


 

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 02:51 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please make sure you're using the test instance
My bad, wasn't using that. However, when I do use it, I get three results and collapse mysteriously turns them into two. An improvement, though!
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

"turns them into two"
Oops, not thinking straight. Of course it turns them into two. Two of them are in the same topic. All is well!
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu