Topics

moderated Search all wiki actions in Member Activity #suggestion

Mark,

In each group's Activity log it is a minor pain to find out what has been updated in the group's Wiki. One has to individually search for:
  • Added image to wiki
  • Added wikipage
  • Deleted image from wiki
  • Deleted wikipage
  • Modified wikipage
A selection for "Any wiki change" would be welcome. Actually, there are other topics within the logs which are also covered by multiple entries, and those too could use an "any" selection.

Eventually I hope the notifications overhaul gives me the ability to be notified by web and/or email for such events, but until then...

Shal

Bill Hazel

There are many reasons that monitoring all wiki activity is an important part of owning or monitoring a group.
Monitoring would allow them to:
  1. Check content to ensure it meets the groups standards of conduct
  2. Check accuracy of statement
  3. Check formatting
  4. Check links
  5. Check for copyright infringement
  6. See who is actually using the wiki
    1. Helps to see if it is being used by the group as a repository
    2. To encourage their continued participation
    3. To help them with technical aspects

Bill Hazel

One thing I thought of after posting was our reaction when someone does something that is "against the rules".
Getting other people to participate is truly the biggest challenge any wiki creator faces, the problems listed in my prior post are secondary.

I have been promoting wikis for over 10 years and have NEVER had anyone do something intentionally malicious.
They've made mistakes, but that is what they were, mistakes, honest mistakes.

Do you want to discourage them? Make them angry? There is a REALLY easy way to accomplish this:
Delete their post.

However, if you want to encourage them to continue to contribute, just change their behavior, there is a much more productive way to do it.
Communicate privately with them and let them know what needs to be changed.
Ask them to make the necessary changes, explaining the reasons why.
Be kind about it.
Thank them for participating.

Usually a lot of thought and effort goes into creating a wikipage,
Much more than most messages.

Respect their effort.

Bill