Topics

moderated safari warns groups.io certificate expired, site "may be impersonating" groups.io etc. #misc


 

Right, Patti, rhanks. It's clear now that it's my old version of Safari (forced on me by my old OS) that's causing my problem. I need to upgrade to Cataline but am scared to do it. It's becoming more and more clear that I need to bite that bullet soon.


On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 12:26 PM Patti Woodbury <deserthorses@...> wrote:


MacBook Pro ten years old running High Sierra 10.13.6

Patti


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

J - my son (he's an IT manager and bit of a MAC/Safari guru) feels this is "something else" - and not related to the age of either your machine or version of Safari. It would be easier to investigate offline if you would feel comfortable pm-ing me; could then be more specific in some back and forth of what to look for, etc., if its a serious issue or not, etc.
Everything about the certificate, issuer, etc. is valid and up to date.

Patti in AZ


 

Patti,
I'll PM you but it's been determined that the certificate is fine and this is my safari. I can't even view videos on FB any more and even FB informs me that I must switch to "an up to date browser." Nevertheless, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth (pun intended - I know you're a horse person!) and may PM you later. I've even received a generous offer from another IT person on beta who's willing to hold my hand during the OS update (something I'm dreading;) Beta is wonderful!
J

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 1:23 PM Patti Woodbury <deserthorses@...> wrote:
J - my son (he's an IT manager and bit of a MAC/Safari guru) feels this is "something else" - and not related to the age of either your machine or version of Safari. It would be easier to investigate offline if you would feel comfortable pm-ing me; could then be more specific in some back and forth of what to look for, etc., if its a serious issue or not, etc.
Everything about the certificate, issuer, etc. is valid and up to date.

Patti in AZ


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Michael Pavan
 

OS X 10.15.5 Catalina is a 64-bit based OS.
It won't run on any Mac older than 2012, and in the case of the Mac Pro, late 2013.

If you have apps that will not function on 64-bit, do not upgrade beyond OS X 10.14.6 Mojave (the last 32-bit)
(My choice for my 2017 MacBookPro)
Safari 11.1.2 is the latest for this OS

If you have "Storage Medium Type: Rotational"
(i.e. a Hard Disk Drive, HDD - rather than a Solid-State Drive, SSD)
it is advised to not update beyond OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
(My choice for my mid 2010 MacBookPro)
Safari 13.1.1 is the latest for this OS (and Catalina)


Michael Pavan
 

Oops, I mixed up which Safari goes with which OS,
I should have said:

OS X 10.15.5 Catalina is a 64-bit based OS.
It won't run on any Mac older than 2012, and in the case of the Mac Pro, late 2013.

If you have apps that will not function on 64-bit, do not upgrade beyond OS X 10.14.6 Mojave (the last 32-bit)
(My choice for my 2017 MacBookPro)
Safari 13.1.1 is the latest for this OS (and Catalina)

If you have "Storage Medium Type: Rotational"
(i.e. a Hard Disk Drive, HDD - rather than a Solid-State Drive, SSD)
it is advised to not update beyond OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
(My choice for my mid 2010 MacBookPro)
Safari 11.1.2 is the latest for this OS


 

Hi All,

I've upgraded the certificates on the site.

Cheers, Mark


 

Yep, I can get in using safari now, which makes me tempted to delay the inevitable (an OS upgrade;)
Thanks!
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


dave w
 

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 07:29 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
It's clear now that it's my old version of Safari (forced on me by my old OS) that's causing my problem.
Group- To be contrary, both my MacBook and OS are older than those cited.
And I have no problem whatsoever using an alternative browser.
The 'condition' of using Safari is the concern- while it can't be erased, I'd suggest it can be ignored.
And that from a 30 year 'fanboy' who's done my time troublshooting and supporting a heck of a lot of other local Mac users, mostly for free!
regards dave


 

I have no problem using an alternative browser, either, and have been using Firefox for groups.io during this issue. It is still convenient to use safari sometimes, if not for groups.io then for some other sites.


On Jun 2, 2020, at 8:08 PM, dave w <groupsmaster@...> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 07:29 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
It's clear now that it's my old version of Safari (forced on me by my old OS) that's causing my problem.
Group- To be contrary, both my MacBook and OS are older than those cited.
And I have no problem whatsoever using an alternative browser.
The 'condition' of using Safari is the concern- while it can't be erased, I'd suggest it can be ignored.
And that from a 30 year 'fanboy' who's done my time troublshooting and supporting a heck of a lot of other local Mac users, mostly for free!
regards dave

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

Ominously, I just got the same "this connection is not private... impersonation" yada yada  message on my brand-new (< 1 month old) iPhone, after clicking on a wapo link that had been sent to me in an email. It happened just once but does not bode well.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu