Topics

locked RSVP feature #suggestion

RS

Just ran across a situation where it would have been handy to send notice of a calendar event, with an RSVP reply that carries to the event.  In theory, people would just hit reply to the event notification, and that would get them listed under attendees for the event on the group calendar.  I picture this as an optional feature, selected at the time the event is created, perhaps a simple "Request RSVP" checkbox control?

Just another thought for the hopper.

Steve Weinberg

Sure!

Groups.io could have a program like Doodle attached for determining best times for meetings or calls

It could have a program like Evite built in for handling invitations to events

It could have a program like FreeConference built in for handling free conference calls

It could have a program like surveymonkey built in for doing surveys

It could have all the functionality of GoogleDocs & Dropbox built in for collaboration and posting docs and photos and videos...

Etc

Etc

Ot it could just be great listserv software.  And leave all the rest for those exiting applications that are NOT also great listserv software

Steve

On Jan 17, 2015, at 11:53 PM, dalemonator@... wrote:

Just ran across a situation where it would have been handy to send notice of a calendar event, with an RSVP reply that carries to the event.  In theory, people would just hit reply to the event notification, and that would get them listed under attendees for the event on the group calendar.  I picture this as an optional feature, selected at the time the event is created, perhaps a simple "Request RSVP" checkbox control?

Just another thought for the hopper.

Thanks for that bit of reality, Steve. I see people wanting groups.io to be everything under the sun, when in reality, it just needs to function as a solid list server. Dano

This might not be the most important feature right now, but eventually, why not?

This is a feature that we can be pretty sure that people would use. Part of the reason why many groups have switched from mailing lists to Facebook is that Facebook is good at handling events.

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 10:08 PM, Steve Weinberg <steve.weinberg@...> wrote:
Sure!

Groups.io could have a program like Doodle attached for determining best times for meetings or calls

Ot it could just be great listserv software.  And leave all the rest for those exiting applications that are NOT also great listserv software

First, I appreciate any suggestions made on the beta list. Please keep them coming.

I totally get the keep it just a listserv. I think I've demonstrated, with the Integrations, that I don't want to rebuild the entire world. But I think there are some things that should be built in.

Unfortunately, there is no generally accepted "groups api" that we could use to interface with other services that involve groups.  It would be great if we could set something up with Doodle, so that any events scheduled there were automatically restricted to the people in your group here, and your members wouldn't have to create an account at Doodle. I hope at one point to create such an API so that we can interface with other services.

My first priority is for Groups.io to be a kick-ass list server.

Mark

Steve Weinberg

Group members don't need an account at Doodle to respond to a request that they indicate the best times for them to participate in an event.

Only the person coordinating the "Doodle" needs the account

Same for Freeconference, Googledocs, etc

Steve
-----

Sent from Steve's iPhone

On Jan 18, 2015, at 11:01 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Oops, sorry about the double post before. I was having some issue with my internet.

Duane

"My first priority is for Groups.io to be a kick-ass list server.

Mark"

I won't speak for others,but I say it already kicks Yahoo's ass! (VBG)

Duane

Nightowl >8#

Depends on your goals.

If you are trying to encourage people to leave Yahoo Groups and come here, which believe me, we are, it has to have most if not all of the things that people used there.

A solid list server to me, sounds like a mailing list. Groups in Yahoo were so much more. They collected data, stored it on site, photos, files, databases, etc. they were our homes and they were bulldozed.

Mark's goal is to make it what people want, and make it a success. Therefore, listening to the ones from Yahoo who have either fled already or are about to, is to his benefit. The simple fact that so many people have clung to what is left of Yahoo Groups is testament to how badly we needed what was offered there.

And the reason we haven't left is it hasn't been offered anywhere else. Not one group site has EVERYTHING we lost in our Groups. Not one. But this one has that potential, and is well on the way to being somewhere people might actually migrate to. And Mark already has the key thing to making it a success.

Listening to and acting upon feedback by the users/beta testers, etc.

He certainly has that down, for sure.

Brenda