moderated Returning bug: below messages, banned members' names/profiles are viewable, past (not banned) members' profiles are not viewalbe #bug #misc

This came up awhile ago and my impression was that at one point it had been fixed, but now it's back:

Below the message of a member who has left or been removed, i.e., a past (but not banned) member, the display name is invisible and replaced with elipses. But when that same member is banned, the display name (and clickable profile, if it exists) comes back, and it, and the profile, are completely viewable again (and with the incorrect "joined" date equal to the date and time the member was banned, i.e., added to the banned list). Unban the member and it goes away again; ban the member again and it comes back.

This seems like the reverse of how it should be.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 10:17 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Below the message of a member who has left or been removed, i.e., a past (but not banned) member, the display name is invisible and replaced with elipses.
J -- Can you provide a screenshot of this?

I'm seeing the domain portion of the email address replaced by ellipses, but the Display Name seems intact. 

But when that same member is banned, the display name (and clickable profile, if it exists) comes back, and it, and the profile, are completely viewable again (and with the incorrect "joined" date equal to the date and time the member was banned, i.e., added to the banned list). Unban the member and it goes away again; ban the member again and it comes back.
I have no banned members. Is the banned member profile viewable to regular Members, or just the Owner?

As for profiles of past members, I'm not in favor of those being visible. When I leave a group I expect my profile to go away, too.

Regards,
Bruce

Before everyone jumps in to respond, I've narrowed the problem down to search results after searching the message list. It's not the message list in general. I'm working on testing all the cases and will report back: member viewing vs mod viewing, past vs banned, message list vs search results, and top of message vs display name at the bottom. This will take me a little while, but before anyone else jumps in to say they're not seeing it, that's right if you're just looking at the message list before doing a search on it. Will report back later. Meanwhile I think you will see what I mean if you do a search on the message list.

And Bruce, I totally agree that this info should not be visible in either case - past or banned.
--
J

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 07:01 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
I have no banned members
Forgot to mention: Bruce, you can ban a past member for a minute or two (it has absolutely no effect on them), see the result, and then "unban" them. I formerly used to do this precisely because of this bug (or "feature"), namely: banning them allows to see their profile again. You can unban them immediately afterwards (and see their profile go away). They will not be notified, they won't see anything different (unless they try, during those 10 -20 seconds of your test, to go to the group home page), and they will be completely unaware that they have been (technically) "banned." This will only work on search results, as I said below.

--
J

Here are my test results, and there are some real anomalies here. Bruce, good question about whether only mods can see the profile. The answer is yes. However, note the other discrepancies and inconsistencies.

When looking at the message list (i.e., without search filtering), what you see is consistent, whether the past member banned or non-banned, and whether or a mod or a non-mod is viewing, namely: the email address and display name are always visible, both at the top of the message and in the attribution below the message in the list. The display name, however, is not clickable so the profile is not viewable.

However, in search results on the message list, the results are the same as for the message list except:
(1) if the member is banned, the display name and email address show up below the message; and
(2) if a mod is viewing the display name is actually clickable and takes you to the profile.

I agree generally with Bruce that none of this - neither email address nor display name (let alone, clickable display name taking you to the profile) - should be available for a past member. Weirder still, although more an anomaly than a danger, is that only if the member is banned do mods see a clickable display name leading to the profile.

I've checked and re-checked this until my brain is fried, and I think it's all accurate, but hopefully others will double-check to confirm. I haven't thought a whole lot about it but will try, even if further thoughts occur to me, not to post a bunch of p.s.'s for now.

PAST (NON-BANNED)

mods see

PAST (NON-BANNED)

non-mods see

BANNED

mods see

BANNED

non-mods see

MESSAGE LIST

-------------

------------------

-----------------------

------------------

email address at top of message

YES

YES

YES

YES

display name  and email address below message

YES

YES

YES

YES

display name clickable to show profile

no

no

no

no

SEARCH RESULTS

-------------

------------------

------------------------

-------------------

email address at top of message

YES

YES

YES

YES

display name  and email address below message

no

no

YES

YES

display name clickable to show profile

no

no

YES

no

--
J

this
"(1) if the member is banned, the display name and email address show up below the message"
was a mental typo in summarizing the results and should read "in the message list only", but everyone can see the results in the table and come to their own conclusions.

--
J