moderated Return to Members page gives "form resubmission" warning #bug

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- If I click open a member record and subsequently click my browser's "back" button to return to the list, I'm getting a "confirm form resubmission" warning.

It doesn't happen if I return to the first page of members, only on subsequent pages, or if I've previously changed sort order or applied a filter.

I don't recall this happening before, so it may be related to the recent change to add the "member's notes" icon.

FYI,
Bruce

Chris Jones

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 03:34 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
I don't recall this happening before...
I have experienced the same problem, usually when going "backwards" having previously gone "forwards" via a filter. IIRC it has been happening for some months now.

Chris

Malcolm Austen

On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 11:35:50 +0100, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

Mark -- If I click open a member record and subsequently click my browser's "back" button to return to the list, I'm getting a "confirm form resubmission" warning.

It doesn't happen if I return to the first page of members, only on subsequent pages, or if I've previously changed sort order or applied a filter.

I don't recall this happening before, so it may be related to the recent change to add the "member's notes" icon.

At risk of barking up the wrong tree, isn't this modern browser behaviour?

I get:

Confirm Form Resubmission

This webpage requires data that you entered earlier in order to be properly displayed. You can send this data again, but by doing so you will repeat any action this page previously performed.

  • Press the reload button to resubmit the data needed to load the page.
ERR_CACHE_MISS
Which is the result of the form results being marked as not to be cached, so <back> has to resubmit the form and potentially repeat an action that you don't want to repeat.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 10:54 AM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
At risk of barking up the wrong tree, isn't this modern browser behaviour?
I would agree if I had actually filled out a form or otherwise entered any data whatsoever to get there (say, entered some kind of search criteria). But that's not what's happening.

Clicking on an entry on the second page of members and then returning to it using the Back button does not strike me as a form-fill action.

Regards,
Bruce

Malcolm Austen

On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 23:21:38 +0100, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 10:54 AM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
At risk of barking up the wrong tree, isn't this modern browser behaviour?
I would agree if I had actually filled out a form or otherwise entered any data whatsoever to get there (say, entered some kind of search criteria). But that's not what's happening.

Clicking on an entry on the second page of members and then returning to it using the Back button does not strike me as a form-fill action.

It's not a visible form, but it is still a 'form action' unfortunately and your browser is only concerned with what is happening in the HTTP dialogue. Somewhere within the javascript there is an HTTP request with either GET or POST parameters (probably the latter as they don't show in the address bar).

If you go to, say, the second page of members and then refresh that page, you will still get 'confirm form resubmission' query.

The problem is made worse because having gone from a 'subsequent' page of members, and then gone to one member's properties page, there is no way back other than through the [back] button. And to make matters worse still, on the member list, the click through to the member properties page has the right-click-open-in-new-tab masked out.

This is something that certainly could be improved Mark! Please?

As a counter example, when looking at the topics list, this problem does not occur, [back] works fine - for me :-)

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...