Topics

moderated Retaining Thread after change the original subject #suggestion

Mike Hanauer

I notice that if I change the subject (usually to make it clearer) of an original topic, and someone then replies by email to a previous email (thus the old topic), it starts a new thread.

I wonder if that could be changed. If I understand the mechanism, perhaps via message id rather than subject. I don't know if message id is or can be carried in the email reply.

Thanks.

Duane

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 02:38 PM, Mike Hanauer wrote:
I notice that if I change the subject (usually to make it clearer) of an original topic, and someone then replies by email to a previous email (thus the old topic), it starts a new thread.
I've found a way to minimize this.  You may want to try it until/unless Mark can make a 'quick fix'.

Start a new topic with the corrected subject line and a placeholder message.
Merge the original into the new one.
Delete the placeholder message.

Based on minimal testing, that should cause replies to go into the new topic.

Duane

John Pearce <jj.pearce@...>

Hopefully if some change to help with this happens,  I hope that it requires the poster to take specific actions to do so leaving everything else the same as it has been.  Our group discusses many different topics.  Many members (1400 total) are not interested in half or more of them.  It helps disinterested people to simply delete the email or not open the thread unless it is something of interest to them.  If a topic changes in a thread to something that a member would be interested in they would never see it.  A change like this could destroy much of the usefulness of the group and groups.io

John

ro-esp

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 09:38 PM, Mike Hanauer wrote:

I notice that if I change the subject (usually to make it clearer) of an
original topic, and someone then replies by email to a previous email (thus
the old topic), it starts a new thread.
I think I agree with John here. If you change the subject, you SHOULD create a new thread by doing so.
Usually you change it because the original subjectline was too vague (e.g. "I have a question"), or because the discussion has err.. "gone off on a tangent"(?), that is the discussion is about something other than the original topic

I wonder if that could be changed. If I understand the mechanism, perhaps via
message id rather than subject.
If you want to maintain the threading, the traditional way is by changing the original subject ( "I have a question" ) to the new one ("topic at hand") like this:

Topic at hand (was: I have a question)

Of course, replies to older posts would still have the old subject

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo

Mike Hanauer

Not usually the case. I change the subject to make it clearer, especially later on for searches. I still want to be able to maintain and continue the thread as a needed choice.

Consider Better, not Bigger. So many advantages. Just ask. USA adds a Chicago to our overpop each year.
"Still more population growth is not our way to a healthy community, a healthy planet, OR enjoyable cycling."

    ~Mike

On Thursday, March 4, 2021, 03:07:27 PM EST, ro-esp <ro-esp@...> wrote:

On Tue, Mar  2, 2021 at 09:38 PM, Mike Hanauer wrote:

> I notice that if I change the subject (usually to make it clearer) of an
> original topic, and someone then replies by email to a previous email (thus
> the old topic), it starts a new thread.

I think I agree with John here. If you change the subject, you SHOULD create a new thread by doing so.
Usually you change it because the original subjectline was too vague (e.g. "I have a question"), or because the discussion has err.. "gone off on a tangent"(?), that is the discussion is about something other than the original topic

> I wonder if that could be changed. If I understand the mechanism, perhaps via
> message id rather than subject.

If you want to maintain the threading, the traditional way is by changing the original subject ( "I have a question" ) to the new one ("topic at hand")  like this:

Topic at hand (was: I have a question)

Of course,  replies to older posts would still have the old subject

                                  groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo

John Pearce <jj.pearce@...>

Mike,

Just to clarify my objection, I do not object to some facility that would allow you to maintain the thread when you change a subject.  I would like you to be required to take some specific action to do so each time you change a subject.  For example, to check some check box which is unchecked by default.  I believe the default should remain as it stands now, that any change to a subject creates a new thread.

John

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 01:38 PM, John Pearce wrote:
I do not object to some facility that would allow you to maintain the thread when you change a subject.  I would like you to be required to take some specific action to do so each time you change a subject.
I agree with John on this. One of the problems I encounter is members picking up an old emails from the group, changing the subject and starting to discuss something completely different. If threading was done automatically by message id it would break the expected connection between topic subject and the actual text of messages.

if you find yourself wanting to adjust topic subjects for clarity then why not moderate the first message of each new topic and ensure the subject is clear to start with. See the Spam Control options on the Group settings page:

Having it sorted from the outset would save multiple updates for following messages and potential topic merges afterwards.

Regards
Andy