Request to limit new photo album creation to moderators #suggestion

Ginny T.

It would be so helpful to be able to moderate who can create new albums. There is no way to stop every member from willy nilly adding albums, resulting in duplicates and even inappropriate albums. Please?
Thanks much,
Ginny
--
Ginny T.  gttemari21@...
========

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 05:27 AM, Ginny T. wrote:
It would be so helpful to be able to moderate who can create new albums. There is no way to stop every member from willy nilly adding albums,
That already exists in Settings > Features:

Regards
Andy

Chris Jones

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 08:17 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
That already exists in Settings > Features:
Does it, though? Taking Ginny's question fairly literally, she is asking to limit the capability of creating albums, not stopping people from uploading to those albums.

It might be better to have greater clarity; Ginny; do you want to stop people creating albums as you originally wrote or do you want to stop people uploading photos to existing albums? Andy's suggestion stops members from doing anything beyond viewing what is already there, having been uploaded by Moderators.

FWIW I wholeheartedly agree that a Photos section can quickly and easily become a complete mess. I occasionally spend some time clearing the photo section of the group I co - own.

Chris

Margo Seegrist

I'm sorry but I have to get my two cents in here.  I LOVE the fact that my members can upload their own photos.  Too often all they do is either attach or embed them and they appear in the Emailed photos album whereas I want them in specific albums and have to copy all those over to the correct albums.  The albums on our site are not personal albums on the site, they are by subject.  And when the time comes that we get close to the 1 G since it's a free site, I want the names on the photos so I can move them to a place like Pinterest or wherever we are allowed to store photos of cards on-line so people know who make them and what they were for.

Sincerely,

Rli@...

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 01:14 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
Does it, though? Taking Ginny's question fairly literally, she is asking to limit the capability of creating albums, not stopping people from uploading to those albums.
With the permissions set to 'Members can view, moderators can upload', a 'Member' account in my group cannot create an album.

Regards
Andy

Donald Hellen

Andy & Chris . . .

On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 14:17:43 -0700, "Andy Wedge" <andy_wedge@linetwo.co.uk>
wrote:

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 01:14 PM, Chris Jones wrote: Does it, though? Taking Ginny's question fairly literally, she is asking to limit the capability of creating albums, not stopping people from uploading to those albums.
With the permissions set to 'Members can view, moderators can upload', a 'Member' account in my group cannot create an album.Regards
(I had to quote both of you to make my reply make sense.)

Andy--I think Chris wants members to be able to upload to EXISTING albums but
not CREATE NEW albums.

The "Members can view, moderators can upload" setting won't allow the members to
upload into an existing album if I understand how that setting works. I could be
mistaken, though. In my groups, I have the setting you recommended because I
don't want them to do EITHER of those things.

So, if I understand the request, it's to allow uploading pictures to an existing
album but not allow creating a new album.

As I understand it, she wants the albums to remain static (no new ones) so that
everything uploaded is pigeonholed and stays in one of the pre-defined
categories (no new categories).

Donald

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 10:30 PM, Donald Hellen wrote:
-I think Chris wants members to be able to upload to EXISTING albums but
not CREATE NEW albums.
The OP subject is "Request to limit new photo album creation to moderators" and that setting will do that.

Regards
Andy

Chris Jones

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 10:48 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
The OP subject is "Request to limit new photo album creation to moderators" and that setting will do that.
Yes of course it will, but it wll also prevent members uploading photos to it, and as I pointed out earlier it is not clear that that is what is wanted.

It's not what I want; it's a question of exactly what Ginny is asking for. That is why I asked her the question in my previous post.

Chris

Ginny T.

To clarify - my request is to be able to control who can create albums. I agree that members uploading photos is necessary - totally.

A setting that could limit creation of photo albums to moderators only  would be so, so helpful. For groups that don't need such control, it could remain as is. For groups that do need/want to limit who can create new albums, it would be a tremendous help.

The only thing we can do now is to provide instructions/policy that only moderators are to create new albums. If you want one, ask us. Well - I think you can figure out how far that goes.  It doesn't matter how many times we "reinforce the rules" - there are always people that won't read.

Thanks everyone,
Ginny
--
Ginny T.  gttemari21@...
========

Ginny T.

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 05:17 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
'Members can view, moderators can upload', a 'Member' account in my group cannot create an album.
I  understand that Andy - but we don't want to stop people from uploading photos. We want to stop them from creating 8 albums for the same topic. We don't use personal albums, we have things sorted by subject/topic.

Right now if someone can upload a photo, they can also create albums. Help!! :>
Ginny

--
Ginny T.  gttemari21@...
========

This suggestion does tie-back to the granular permissions thread from last week.

Cheers,
Christos

Andy Wedge

On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 12:00 AM, Ginny T. wrote:
but we don't want to stop people from uploading photos.
OK - then Chris' guess was correct and your original message didn't accurately reflect what you what.
Yes, that's correct and there's no way to stop that currently.  As Christos said in his post:

On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 12:39 AM, Christos Psarras wrote:
This suggestion does tie-back to the granular permissions thread from last week.
Yes it does and maybe Ginny can add her thoughts to that topic about more granular permissions.

Regards
Andy

Andy

On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 03:24 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 12:00 AM, Ginny T. wrote:
but we don't want to stop people from uploading photos.
OK - then Chris' guess was correct and your original message didn't accurately reflect what you what.

Well actually, Ginny's original message exactly reflected what she wanted.  She wanted to limit album creation, and she made no mention of uploading photos.  But it's easy to extrapolate from that to think that it includes uploading photos too.  I think that's where my mind went.

Andy

Ginny T.

I have added my request to the permissions thread.
I hope that the confusion between albums and photos has been cleared up and I'm sorry if I did not clearly indicate that in my original post. I only mentioned albums and didn't realize that people would extrapolate it to photos as well.

Bottom line is we need to please separate allowing album creation from uploading photos. Please?  Wouldn't be a bad idea for the same with folders and files either, but the albums and photos are the main problem.

Thanks everyone,
Ginny

On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 03:24 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 12:39 AM, Christos Psarras wrote:
This suggestion does tie-back to the granular permissions thread from last week.
Yes it does and maybe Ginny can add her thoughts to that topic about more granular permissions.

--
Ginny T.  gttemari21@...
========
TemariKai.com

Hi All,

I've added new access settings to Files and Photos. They are:

- Members can view and upload photos, but not create albums
- Members can view and upload files, but not create folders