Topics

moderated Reporting a pending subscriber #misc

Larry Finch

Thanks to Shal and all the others who pointed out that this feature already exists. I’ve just updated my lists.

Larry

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 2:29 AM Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:
Larry,

 > I manage this in the listserv groups I admininster by not
 > automatically removing a first poster from moderation. ...
 > Is there an easy way to do that with gio?

What Christopher said: the "New Members Moderated" checkbox in the Spam
Control panel of your group's Settings page.

With it checked you'll be given a choice of manual ("Not enabled") or
automatic Unmoderate After (pick a number).

Shal

--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 50"
W 74° 02' 55"

John Pearce

I would use it and a tool that I could use help determine if it's a spammer before reporting to you.  I have had many such attempts to join beginning with all those aol users, but that was more easily recognized as word spread on this group and the simple user name generation.  More recent attempts have been less recognizable.  The only way I have with more certainty is to wait for the pending member request to age out of our restricted group.  After 7 days have gone by it's a good bet that it will age out at 14 days.  But waiting a week would defeat the purpose of reporting to groups.io

Thanks
John

Chris Jones

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 03:30 PM, John Pearce wrote:
But waiting a week would defeat the purpose of reporting to groups.io
Not necessarily, IMHO. Flagging up too soon might well result in so many false positives that it risks swamping Groups.io with potentially innocent applicants.

FWIW we (i.e. the Group I co - own) seem to get a significant number of apparently innocent applications who never provide an answer to the Pending Subscription message, even if a reminder is sent. As in your case they are allowed to "age out"; it may not catch them at spamming but it certainly prevents them spamming - at least on our Group! Mind you as a nearly fully moderated group they wouldn't get very far anyway...

Chris

I think each of us tends to look at our groups from our own groups’ perspective. Groups run the gamut from laissez faire which pretty much run themselves to strictly controlled and restrictive and everything in between. Interaction with group members ranges from engaged community to”my way or the highway”.  What constitutes spam, depending on our perspective, ranges from someone plugging their business to sending unwanted porn to scraping the group for personal information. As mentioned already, what’s spam in one group is perfectly acceptable in another.
I fail to see how we can expect Mark to protect us from any and all. negative aspects of the internet with the click of a button given the huge variety of possibilities and the enormous scope of GIO. I tend to feel personally responsible for my groups and never expected them to exist in a perfectly safe bubble.

Patti

John Pearce

Chris Jones wrote:
Not necessarily, IMHO. Flagging up too soon might well result in so many false positives that it risks swamping Groups.io with potentially innocent applicants.

Chris, agreed.  I was thinking that a tool might help to identify someone as a spammer more than I could do myself.  I don't know what information a tool Mark is suggesting  might provide.  I found for example one person who applied on the web whose email address tracked to a cloud provider in Florida that is known for allowing spammers and hackers to use their service.  The application aged out.  At this time the only people I would report are people that make it onto the group and then spam.  This has only happened once.  Some guidance as to when to report someone along with the tool would be helpful.

John Pearce

Chris Jones

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 11:03 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I added a feature where you could report someone who had applied to your group that you thought was a spammer, would you use that feature?
Yes I would, but it might be of limited utility. Only very rarely do we get "suspect" applications, and they never respond to the Pending Subscription mesage. The last time that I am aware of was back in January when there was a small rash of applications from common IP addresses that was flagged up on GMF here. (The topic ran on for 202 messages!) As things stand few applications come from email addresses that just don't look right.

. Are there other tools I could provide to help weed these jerks out?
One idea that springs to mind is to add a function to the on - line moderation UI for Report as Spam. How easily the equivalent function could be provided for email moderation I won't pretend to know. Obviously that would be of no help for groups that run unmoderated. A further option could be to add Report as Spam to the "More" hamburger so that obvious spam could be reported by just one or two clicks; that might help those unmoderated groups.

If I really wanted to go on a spammer hunt I would use the Activity log; on the group I moderate (which does not allow non - members to post) the spam is abundantly clear both from the sender's garbage email address and the supposed subject line, but of course there is no way of reporting it as spam from there, even assuming we go to look. I suspect that as this spam happens in sudden bursts and then stops for a while that it is being stopped by spam - killers running in the background.

One thing that might help is for the applicants' IP addresses to appear on the web UI; I know it is sent in the email version but cross - referencing web UI and emails is a bit tedious. The downside to trying to add it to the web UI is that that page is already cramped when using a 4:3 display unit and adding IP addresses would only make that much worse. (See here for previous post about this!!)

Chris

Michael Pavan

On May 5, 2020, at 6:02 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

For those of you with restricted groups, if I added a feature where you could report someone who had applied to your group that you thought was a spammer, would you use that feature?
Yes, I would use it.

It should only be available to Owner and/or Moderators,
perhaps only those Moderators with "Approve Pending Messages", "Approve Pending Members", and/or "Ban Members", and perhaps "Remove Members" privileges.

It would filter up to something system wide.
A register of how recently reported, how many reports or groups reporting and over what time span.

Also number of groups it is a member of and for how long - this might help evaluate how seriously to regard these reports of applicants who would be spammers.

Are there other tools I could provide to help weed these jerks out?

(fully acknowledging that this would only be one signal in evaluating if someone was a spammer).