Topics

locked Replying to messages

a comment from my husband (who joined my group),

"Don't reckon much of the way 'Reply' moves to the top of the page, so's you can't see your reply box, but that may just be a linux thing.

And hitting return gives me two lines worth of space, not one.

So I have to backspace a line to tidy things up."

Nightowl >8#

Hillary's Husband said:>>"Don't reckon much of the way 'Reply' moves to the top of the page, so's you can't see your reply box, but that may just be a linux thing.<<

No, that's not a linux thing. It happens with everyone, but maybe once Mark gets the auto quoting working it will jump us to the bottom and into the reply box instead of up to the top of the page.

Hilary's husband wrote:>>And hitting return gives me two lines worth of space, not one. So I have to backspace a line to tidy things up."<<

That's this stupid editor. ;) Wordpress did it too, and I hated it.Suz hated it too, because she had to clean up all the spaces for me since she was the editor. ;)

If you want a single space, you have to hit Shift-Enter, instead of enter. But no matter what I do, I always screw it up and have bunches of spaces I have to clean up after typing each line.

I wish that there was a way to default to single space with enter, but that's something else to ask Mark down the line...and believe me, I will. Meantime, if you want single spaces, always hit Shift-Enter together and you'll get them.

Brenda

On Thursday, January 22, 2015, Feathered Leader <featheredleader@...> wrote:
Hilary's husband wrote:>>And hitting return gives me two lines worth of space, not one. So I have to backspace a line to tidy things up."<<

That's this stupid editor. ;) Wordpress did it too, and I hated it.Suz hated it too, because she had to clean up all the spaces for me since she was the editor. ;)

It's an artifact of HTML, where a return is treated as a paragraph break. You can always switch to plaintext for your reply, if you're not going to be including any formatting. Use the drop down selector at the bottom right of the reply box to switch to plain text. At some point I'll make that a preference you can set.

Mark

Nightowl >8#

break. You can always switch to plaintext for your reply, if you're not
going to be including any formatting. Use the drop down selector at the
bottom right of the reply box to switch to plain text. At some point
I'll make that a preference you can set.

Yay!!!! Thanks!

Brenda

Judy F.

I definitely think it should be Enter to single space.  Use the SHFT + Enter for the odd spacing.

Also, I always want my replies to be at the top of the message.  If there are numerous replies, it gets confusing where the latest reply is if it’s at the bottom.

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Hilary Syddall <dragonsteeluk@...> wrote:

a comment from my husband (who joined my group),

"Don't reckon much of the way 'Reply' moves to the top of the page, so's you can't see your reply box, but that may just be a linux thing.

Took me awhile to figure out what was being referred to, because I didn't think it was doing that in the first place. But, I was wrong. Clicking reply definitely jumped you to the top of the page. I did some hunting around and was able to fix it. So, hitting Reply no longer scrolls to the top of the page. I thought about having it automatically scroll a bit up to make sure the reply box is in view, which I can do, but I'm not sure that's best. Please let me know what you think.

Judy,

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:03 PM, J. Faulkner <jfaulkner44@...> wrote:

Also, I always want my replies to be at the top of the message.  If there are numerous replies, it gets confusing where the latest reply is if it’s at the bottom..

Are you referring to viewing a message thread, where the newer messages are at the bottom? You can re-sort it so that the newest messages are at the top, but clicking the little 1->9 arrow next to 'Date' in the top right of the page. Unfortunately, you'll have to do that for every thread right now, but it's on the todo list to have it remember your setting.

Mark

Judy F.

Mark, will replying in the reply box allow that reply to show at the top of the message or do you at least have an option?

Thanks,

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

a comment from my husband (who joined my group),

"Don't reckon much of the way 'Reply' moves to the top of the page, so's you can't see your reply box, but that may just be a linux thing.

Took me awhile to figure out what was being referred to, because I didn't think it was doing that in the first place. But, I was wrong. Clicking reply definitely jumped you to the top of the page. I did some hunting around and was able to fix it. So, hitting Reply no longer scrolls to the top of the page. I thought about having it automatically scroll a bit up to make sure the reply box is in view, which I can do, but I'm not sure that's best. Please let me know what you think.

First I should explain I'm using Full Message View on the group page. For me, Reply just opened a reply below the link to reply and left the rest of the page. I think that's good. I like the plain text/html option, but wonder if the switch might be to the right of the "Reply" link to save space and make it faster to find.

I suppose the easiest way to add quoted text is just to copy and paste. I like to use the greater-than sign to show quoted text in plain text messages.

I'll see if there are any issues after I hit Send.

Dano

Judy F.

Mark, I hate to keep referring to Yahoo Groups, but since that’s my only example…….. Maybe we are talking about two different things.

I view all of my messages in Outlook, but I click the ‘reply via web post’ option at the bottom of the message and actually reply on the group.  When I click Reply, I have the option to show history and I delete everything except the most recent message (to this specific message).  It allows me to reply at the top so when someone reads my reply, they see it first and don’t have to hunt for it further down in the message.

Since on the beta group, I am replying directly from Outlook, my reply is always at the top.  Note I have Outlook set to reply at the top.  I’m sure you are wondering why I do it one way in Yahoo and another here.  The reason I do is because I don’t have the options at the bottom of each message here in groups.io that I do in Yahoo Groups.

Also while I’m thinking about it, at some point will we have a cc and a bcc option in messages?  Also, would like to have an option to reply to sender only and not have it go to the group.

Thanks,

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

Also, I always want my replies to be at the top of the message.  If there are numerous replies, it gets confusing where the latest reply is if it’s at the bottom..

Are you referring to viewing a message thread, where the newer messages are at the bottom? You can re-sort it so that the newest messages are at the top, but clicking the little 1->9 arrow next to 'Date' in the top right of the page. Unfortunately, you'll have to do that for every thread right now, but it's on the todo list to have it remember your setting.

Mark

Nightowl >8#

Wonderful! I just have to remember to click the Plain Text choice BEFORE I start typing, because if I do it in the middle, it adds all kinds of weird characters!

And yes, I would be thrilled if this could eventually be a defaulted option that I wouldn't have to change every time I reply. :)

This just gets better and better!

Brenda

Nightowl >8#

Yay! Thanks!

That's really nice, not having it jump up there to the top when we hit reply.

I know eventually, it will have auto-quote, but for now, the >> (text) << seem to be working ok. Copy, paste, and put it in between them. :)

Brenda

Mark,

It's an artifact of HTML, where a return is treated as a paragraph
break.
That's not exactly HTML's fault.

You can always switch to plaintext for your reply, if you're not going
to be including any formatting. Use the drop down selector at the bottom
right of the reply box to switch to plain text. At some point I'll make
that a preference you can set.
I'll like that.

-- Shal

Mark,

I thought about having it automatically scroll a bit up to make sure the
reply box is in view, which I can do, but I'm not sure that's best.
I think scrolling it just enough to ensure that the screen changed somewhat would be helpful. Understanding that there's a danger of annoying the user by scrolling things they want to see off the other end, you wouldn't want to go too far with this.

Reason: early on there was a problem with Yahoo Neo where if a menu button was at the bottom of the screen the menu would open entirely off-screen. So the visual appearance was that the button had no effect whatsoever. Unless one happened to think of scrolling down. And just to double-down on the problem, the natural scrolling behavior as one moved from message to message put the row of action buttons for the next message right at the bottom of the screen. I wouldn't want the Reply to exhibit a similar usability fail.

-- Shal

Judy,

Mark, will replying in the reply box allow that reply to show at the top
of the message or do you at least have an option?
Mark mentioned copying the original message's text into the reply as quoted text. But I don't see that on the published todo list.
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/beta/message/384

-- Shal

On 1/22/2015 10:39 PM, J. Faulkner wrote:
It allows me to reply at the top so when someone reads my reply, they
see it first and don’t have to hunt for it further down in the message.
If you are talking about a message - and "top posting" - I disagree.

I know that is the "new way" - most mail clients have the default as
top posting, but my problem with that is that in order to find out
what the person is replying to - I have to go search the message.

If you put just the specific thing you are responding to on top,
then you read that first, and then the response, as you see here.

It's a more natural way to read than response first.

dg

(Reply to several messages in this thread)

Several good ideas, I've updated the 'Messages and Archives' todo list with:

CC/BCC in Group Post
Reply directly to the sender
Link in message footer to 'Reply on the web'
Quote the original message in a reply
When clicking on reply, possibly scroll up slightly to expose the reply box

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 8:01 AM, CatWoman <diana@...> wrote:
On 1/22/2015 10:39 PM, J. Faulkner wrote:
It allows me to reply at the top so when someone reads my reply, they
see it first and don’t have to hunt for it further down in the message.

If you are talking about a message - and "top posting" - I disagree.

I know that is the "new way" - most mail clients have the default as
top posting, but my problem with that is that in order to find out
what the person is replying to - I have to go search the message.

If you put just the specific thing you are responding to on top,
then you read that first, and then the response, as you see here.

It's a more natural way to read than response first.

dg

Judy F.

Thanks Shal. Maybe you are saying what I am hoping for and terminology is
getting in the way. I want to be able to include the last reply to the
original message. Example: A message is sent asking a question and there
are 3 replies (questions & answers) to that original message. Then I reply
from the group. I want to be able to keep the last reply only to my reply.
Since everyone doesn't do this, I don't want this to be something the
'group' does, but I would like for it to show all of the info and I can then
delete the portion I don't want.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

Mark, will replying in the reply box allow that reply to show at the
top of the message or do you at least have an option?
Mark mentioned copying the original message's text into the reply as quoted
text. But I don't see that on the published todo list.
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/beta/message/384

-- Shal

Judy F.

Dianna, you might want to read all of my messages on this subject. I didn't say to code it so that's what happens. I said to give us capability to reply at the top of that message or at the bottom.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

[...]

I think it is terminology. I didn't intend to refer to the message that happened to start the thread (a different context for "original", forget I used that word).

As you scroll down the thread on Groups.io, note that each message in the thread has its own Reply link. It is the text of the one you click on that I think will be copied in as a quote in the Reply edit box that opens up below that message.

-- Shal