Topics

moderated Reply to Options #suggestion

outlawmws

There are Reply settings with options for reply to:
  • Sender
  • Group
  • Sender and group
What I think is needed is an option for
  • Sender OR Group
  • Maybe select a default for one or the other in the settings
This would entail a selection in the Reply page for the responding party to select one of the other.

Why?

One of my groups has this need to support the ability to contact a member, for instance when an offer for selling something comes up.  I want them to be able to reply directly to the person making the offer, and not fill the mostly technical discussions with back and forth for the item being sold  - to take the sake of the item off line from the group.  Selling things is NOT the primary purpose of the group, hens the ask.

Having every reply go to both sender and the group for every reply just increases Email traffic unnecessarily,

Another option might be a three way selection option on the reply page for, reply to:
  • Sender
  • Group
  • Sender and group
Again an option to select one of the three options by the responding party - This would be OK for my purposes also.
And agian, maybe select a default for one of the three in the settings

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 08:29 AM, outlawmws wrote:

What I think is needed is an option for

  • Sender OR Group
  • Maybe select a default for one or the other in the settings

There's already a button labeled Private that lets you send the message to the sender instead of the group. Or am I missing something?

Thanks, Mark

Mark is vetting new topics, and has vetted this one, so I’m confused because it seems the Private Reply option in creating the reply already exists and covers this need.

On Jan 30, 2020, at 9:18 PM, outlawmws via Groups.Io <Outlawmws@...> wrote:

[...]

Just seeing Mark’s reply belatedly. I think I’m missing msgs on my phone. In any case, I had the same reaction: use Private Reply, or I’m missing something.

[...]

Realized that since I’m FF, I saw the original message but not Mark’s, and replied to the original message before seeing Mark’s. Later I saw Mark’s reply online and was momentarily flummoxed. (I didn’t receive it in email as a catch-up to the thread). This might point to some sort of hole with FF. I have to think about it.

On Jan 31, 2020, at 11:18 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

[...]

OK, if that is what it does is a direct reply to the OP then yes - I never noticed it down on the corner like that so it's not intuitive -   So I'lI change the ask to move that to a pull down option for the "reply" button, or a second button next to reply, if it is a reply just to the sender alone.(I just KNOW the average person will not know about the Private button's purpose, if they even notice it down there)  At a minimum "Reply to OP" would be more descriptive than "Private"

The Blue "Arrow Reply" button could also have a companion the same way?

BTW  I'm not a newb to GIO,  been here with my initial group over 2 years, but this other group is new with new use cases...

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 11:50 AM, outlawmws wrote:
I never noticed it down on the corner like that so it's not intuitive
I totally agree that it's hard to find. There was a long debate over allowing an explicit "PM" (or whatever you want to call it) button that appears contemporaneously with the Reply button, rather than seeing it only after hitting Reply and having to peek down at the right corner.

That said, "Reply to OP" would be incorrect/misleading terminology, because the Private button does not cause you to reply to the OP of the thread. You're only replying to the person under whose message you reply to.

So in thinking about it, perhaps this it not what you're asking for. The only way to reply privately now to the OP is to go to the first message in the topic and do a private reply below that specific message.

Christos G. Psarras

J,

Realized that since I’m FF, I saw the original message but not Mark’s, and replied to the original message before seeing Mark’s. Later I saw Mark’s reply online and was momentarily flummoxed. (I didn’t receive it in email as a catch-up to the thread). This might point to some sort of hole with FF. I have to think about it.
<<<

This jolted my memory as I also FF+A on many of my groups, and I had noticed something similarly-weird some time ago but put it aside for the moment back then.  So I just did some testing, and it turns out, when one is a Following-Only user in some group and have the "Auto-Follow-Replies" to ON, when they reply (by email or online) to some topic they were not following before, it will be added to their followed list, but no catch-up emails get sent, so it is a bug in the sense that the functionality isn't there.  I just sent it as a #bug message to beta.

Cheers,
Christos

Christos,
Correct, I just sent that in as a bug/suggestion. Havent seen it come  thru yet.

On Jan 31, 2020, at 1:24 PM, Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

J,

Realized that since I’m FF, I saw the original message but not Mark’s, and replied to the original message before seeing Mark’s. Later I saw Mark’s reply online and was momentarily flummoxed. (I didn’t receive it in email as a catch-up to the thread). This might point to some sort of hole with FF. I have to think about it.
<<<

This jolted my memory as I also FF+A on many of my groups, and I had noticed something similarly-weird some time ago but put it aside for the moment back then.  So I just did some testing, and it turns out, when one is a Following-Only user in some group and have the "Auto-Follow-Replies" to ON, when they reply (by email or online) to some topic they were not following before, it will be added to their followed list, but no catch-up emails get sent, so it is a bug in the sense that the functionality isn't there.  I just sent it as a #bug message to beta.

Cheers,
Christos

Christos G. Psarras

J,

>>> Correct, I just sent that in as a bug/suggestion. Havent seen it come  thru yet.

Yours did come through; mine said the same thing pretty-much (except I tagged it as #bug) and probably came after yours (ladies first :), so it may have already gotten deleted, which is fine in this case, as long as there is a record of the issue itself documented I personally don't mind from whom it came from.

Cheers,

Christos

Haha. I don’t mind, either. I think it actually may have been your post about the “catching up” that pinged my brain this morning. 😊

On Jan 31, 2020, at 2:06 PM, Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

J,

>>> Correct, I just sent that in as a bug/suggestion. Havent seen it come  thru yet.

Yours did come through; mine said the same thing pretty-much (except I tagged it as #bug) and probably came after yours (ladies first :), so it may have already gotten deleted, which is fine in this case, as long as there is a record of the issue itself documented I personally don't mind from whom it came from.

Cheers,

Christos

outlawmws

So Reply to OP may not be completely intuitive either as the FUNCTION of the Private button IS what I'm after.  It just needs to be clear what its for and IMO needs to be clear its a reply function at all.  Again a drop down off the current REPLY button makes it clear;  so maybe like this:

Replyv
  • Group
  • Private
Or  as a separate button:  "Reply Privately"  or "Reply Private Email"

Moving it next to the current Reply to group with color in this latter case,  off to the tight without color just makes it counter intuitive.  (you have to think like it's your first time on such a page - would you "get it"?  I didn't after years of posting...I never needed it and when I did I didn't see it...  I looked at the "reply" option (blue text and green) where I would expect to find it and it wasn't there.  I even checked the "More" blue and Nope...