moderated renaming file doesn't notify if initial posting didn't #bug

Glenn Glazer

Steps to repro:

1) Upload a file, do not click notify members.
2) Used the update icon to rename the file
3) When doing 2), click Notify Members
4) Afterwards, no one gets a notification, including owners and moderators.

My expectation would be that the choice of notification is on a per action basis, that is, whether the initial upload was no notify isn't relevant to the desire to have the update notification sent.

Best,

Glenn
--
#calcare
PG&E Delenda Est

Andy

I want to suggest (but not proven) that this behavior is random, and might not be related to whether or not the initial upload had a notification.

For the last week or two I have been working on writing up a similar problem.  I have seen a number of file uploads, updates, and deletions that do not send the Moderators any notification.  MY suspicion is that there are 'holes' in what the servers do, and integrity is not being maintained by the servers.  It is troubling.  Your case might be just one example of this.

My expectation agrees with yours, Glenn.  My suspicion is that the cause might be random, not related to the initial upload; but that would be an interesting thing to investigate too (if only I had a lot more time).  Whatever is going on, I can confirm that a number of file actions did not send a notice to Moderators.  I even had a case where I received a moderator notice that a file was deleted, but no moderator notice that it had been uploaded.

Andy

Glenn Glazer

On 10/23/2021 13:47, Andy wrote:
[...]

It may be that my sample size isn't large enough to see the randomness, we do some, but not a ton of uploading, and we may just have hit the randomness when there were other plausible factors involved.

Best,

Glenn
--
#calcare
PG&E Delenda Est

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Oct 23, 2021 at 03:44 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
1) Upload a file, do not click notify members.
2) Used the update icon to rename the file
3) When doing 2), click Notify Members
4) Afterwards, no one gets a notification, including owners and moderators.
Glenn -- The File Notifications section of your Subscription says "How to be notified when a folder is modified or file is uploaded." [italics added] There is no mention of a notification associated with the Update File activity.

Do you wish to add this as a new notification, or remove the checkbox from the Update File dialog?

Regards,
Bruce

Glenn Glazer

On 10/24/2021 06:19, Bruce Bowman wrote:
On Sat, Oct 23, 2021 at 03:44 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
1) Upload a file, do not click notify members.
2) Used the update icon to rename the file
3) When doing 2), click Notify Members
4) Afterwards, no one gets a notification, including owners and moderators.
Glenn -- The File Notifications section of your Subscription says "How to be notified when a folder is modified or file is uploaded." [italics added] There is no mention of a notification associated with the Update File activity.

Do you wish to add this as a new notification, or remove the checkbox from the Update File dialog?

Regards,
Bruce

Hi, Bruce.

Perhaps we read things differently, but to me, renaming a file is modifying it.

That aside, I wish this to be a (new) notification because that's what people in my group wanted and found the presence of the checkbox deceptive.

Best,

Glenn

--
#calcare
PG&E Delenda Est

Chris Jones

On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 02:19 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
The File Notifications section of your Subscription says "How to be notified when a folder is modified or file is uploaded." [italics added] There is no mention of a notification associated with the Update File activity.
Interesting... It does indeed say that, but anyone updating a Folder is not presented with the opportunity to "Notify Members", while anyone updating a File is.  (As is anyone uploading a new File or Folder.)

Chris

On Sat, Oct 23, 2021 at 12:45 PM Glenn Glazer <glenn.glazer@...> wrote:
Steps to repro:

1) Upload a file, do not click notify members.
2) Used the update icon to rename the file
3) When doing 2), click Notify Members
4) Afterwards, no one gets a notification, including owners and moderators.

This has been fixed now.

Also, I have added `Notify Members` checkboxes to both the Rename Folder dialog as well as the Move File dialog.

Glenn Glazer

On 10/25/2021 10:27, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Sat, Oct 23, 2021 at 12:45 PM Glenn Glazer <glenn.glazer@...> wrote:
Steps to repro:

1) Upload a file, do not click notify members.
2) Used the update icon to rename the file
3) When doing 2), click Notify Members
4) Afterwards, no one gets a notification, including owners and moderators.

This has been fixed now.

Also, I have added `Notify Members` checkboxes to both the Rename Folder dialog as well as the Move File dialog.

Many thanks, Mark.

Best,

Glenn

--
#calcare
PG&E Delenda Est

Hi Mark,

>>> This has been fixed now.

Out of curiosity, what is the time threshold that determines whether notifications "lump together" in a single message or go out by themselves?  I've noticed that if I do a few things within some minutes those come in a single message, it pays to be fast I guess.

Interestingly, all those single "File Notifications" messages thread together in a single topic.

Cheers,
Christos

Duane

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 12:18 AM, Christos Psarras wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is the time threshold that determines whether notifications "lump together" in a single message or go out by themselves?
I believe the latest information is 4-8 minutes, plus your email checking delay.  https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/25552

Duane

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 01:18 AM, Christos Psarras wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is the time threshold that determines whether notifications "lump together" in a single message or go out by themselves?
I believe the window is roughly 5 minutes (ref: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/25375).

A side effect of this feature is that affected notifications never go out right away...they are always 5 minutes "late", waiting to see if you make another change within the window.

Regards,
Bruce