moderated remove duplicated photos due to top posting #suggestion

I take it back, the bottom right square of the matrix is still blank. I think the photos "moved up" in the grid as more duplicate photos got added, and some of the blanks fell off.

Also, I am not willing to remove the messages with the duplicate photos. The message content should stay, and the only way to remove the duplicates is by removing the entire message. So I think this issue of duplicates really should be fixed if at all feasible.

With my work email address, I have to include an image with a corporate logo as part of my signature. Would that count as a photo to be loaded on to the home page of a group? That would be annoying.

JohnF

Anita L

I think it would. I have noticed many who have signatures are coming in as photos.

Anita

From: "atinalee@... via Groups.Io" <atinalee@...>
Date: 12/27/16 08:04 (GMT-08:00)
To: beta@groups.io

That is good to know. I don't have a mess on my home page. I deleted the photos and they disappeared. No blanks.

Anita

From: "atinalee@... via Groups.Io" <atinalee@...>
Date: 12/27/16 08:04 (GMT-08:00)
To: beta@groups.io

That is good to know. I don't have a mess on my home page. I deleted the photos and they disappeared. No blanks.

Anita

That is good to know. I don't have a mess on my home page. I deleted the photos and they disappeared. No blanks.

Anita

That photo section is only seen by members, just like other things on the home page that are only seen by members.

The issue is that the gaps and/or the duplicates make it an unsightly mess IMO.

Ro

No reason it needs to show up there as far as I can see!

Ro

with Silk gazing over the fence, and Sally, Handy, Feliz &  Police Kitty patrolling in the Great Beyond.

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 03:04 pm, Ro wrote:
No reason it needs to show up there as far as I can see!

I totally agree. If it truly consisted of ALL recently posted photos (emailed and posted), I wouldn't mind it (but still could not find much reason for it). As it is now, with it only being the emailed photos, AND the duplicates, AND the gaps, I'd get rid of it too if I could.

Linda

Happy New Year,

Our home page is attractive with the photos.

I hope the problem can be fixed.

Thanks,
Linda
https://1a-travelzine.groups.io/g/ZINE

Hi, this is off the topic thread, but I was curious about your group and went to your site. Did you know that you have a tab for "subgroups," but when you click on it there are no subgroups? As an aside to Mark, I think the subgroups tab should not appear if there are no subgroups. It seems weird.

As for the photos, I don't mind them appearing and agree they can be an asset. However, I feel strongly that either the language should be changed somehow, or the section should ACTUALLY show all "recently posted photos" as described. It's weird to show very old photos there (and have them described as "recent") just because they were emailed, while members are posting photos via the web much more recently and they're not showing up.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

If the issue between e-mailed and posted photos can be resolved perhaps the wording "recently contributed photos" would cover all bases.
--
Brian

I have made mistakes, but have never made the mistake of claiming I never made one.

          ~  James G. Bennet

I don't think it's the language that's the ultimate problem. I think "posted" sounds like it covers both and would not confuse anyone. It's confusing *because* only emailed photos are shown there. I think the ultimate issue is that there's some technical problem precluding showing both. But I'm not sure. This is just what I vaguely remember from the last time this came up.

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
If the issue between e-mailed and posted photos can be resolved perhaps the wording "recently contributed photos" would cover all bases.
--
Brian

I have made mistakes, but have never made the mistake of claiming I never made one.

          ~  James G. Bennet

I figured out this morning that when you delete the photo from the "emailed photos" page, only the photo is deleted, not the message itself. I'd been finding the wording of the warning message ambiguous ("it will also be deleted from the message archive") so had been hesitant to remove duplicates for fear the messages themselves were being removed. They're not. I still would like to see the duplicates problem go away, but in any case it might be more clear to say "the photo will also be deleted from the message archive" when someone deletes a photo.

Linda

Hi J,
There IS a subgroup but it is private, for moderators only. It would make more sense for that tab to appear for moderators only.

You wrote:
Hi, this is off the topic thread, but I was curious about your group and went to your site. Did you know that you have a tab for "subgroups," but when you click on it there are no subgroups? As an aside to Mark, I think the subgroups tab should not appear if there are no subgroups. It seems weird.

Linda,
Yes, I agree, that would make more sense.
Sent from my iPhone

You wrote:
Hi, this is off the topic thread, but I was curious about your group and went to your site. Did you know that you have a tab for "subgroups," but when you click on it there are no subgroups? As an aside to Mark, I think the subgroups tab should not appear if there are no subgroups. It seems weird.

I'm also realizing another "clue" about the gaps on the home page: the home page "recently posted photos" has photos displayed in (reverse) chrono order, whereas the "emailed photos" page, from which you effect the delete, has them in alpha order. I don't know if that is a cause of the gaps, but I would suspect it.