Topics

moderated Rejoining a group later #bug

Duane

While doing some research on another #bug (https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/73955560), I ran into an anomaly.  It appears that if you've ever been a member of a group, your application to join again doesn't follow the normal routine.  I applied to a restricted group where the account in question had been a member a couple of years ago (for testing) and did not get the pending notice, nor did the application show as a pending member.  I suspect that the account is being remembered in the 'past members' list, thus changing the work flow, but can't verify this because this is a Basic group.  There should be a time limit when the account in question starts all over.  An easy way would be to delete them from the past members list after a given time, say a year, but there may be groups that would want to keep the information longer than that.  The other obvious alternative is to treat all applications as new, but I think this might interfere with the rejoin routine when someone is removed for marking a message as spam.