Topics

moderated Rejecting messages without a subject line #suggestion

Duane

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 09:17 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
For those asking for clarification: It's not really that the message gets rejected in the usual sense, because it is not even allowed to be submitted without a subject.
This would be for online submissions.  If sent via email, the message is actually bounced with the message "500 This message is missing a subject. Please include a subject and send it again."  Unfortunately, a hashtag on the subject line is enough to allow it to be accepted.

Duane

For those asking for clarification: It's not really that the message gets rejected in the usual sense, because it is not even allowed to be submitted without a subject. The composition box stops you right after you hit "Send" and says "You must include a subject." right below the subject line, which lights up in red.

I also personally don't care if owner messages have subject lines or not. Well, honestly, I lean very slightly towards not requiring them.

I would like this too. Since my group uses hashtags, all that happens is that the hashtags show as hashtags and are then repeated as the subject line, so members continue sending messages with hashtags rather than subject lines.

Personally, I'd prefer messages sent to the group without a subject line to get rejected, but I don't mind messages sent to the mods without a subject line.

Helen

ro-esp

If this is a suggestion, I'd like some clarity on what you mean by "rejected". Does the message simply get discarded, or does the author get a message back saying something like "you sent a message without a subjectline, so we assume it was sent in error and it was not sent to the group"

I'd prefer the latter. I too think it should cover messages to the +owner address

groetjes, Ronaldo

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 04:49 PM, Debbie wrote:

I think it's great that when someone tries to send a message it is
automatically rejected if it has no subject line. I would love it if that
feature would be applied to the messages sent to the owner address.
I think that honest prospective members are more likely to write to +owner without Subject than spammers.

I hope this feature never goes away. And, yes, I also want this to apply to owner messages as well.

Debbie

I wrote about this a couple of times in the past few years, and never saw anything about why it's not being done. I think it's great that when someone tries to send a message it is automatically rejected if it has no subject line. I would love it if that feature would be applied to the messages sent to the owner address. I get those often and find it very annoying.

Have a good weekend,

Debbie