Topics

Rejecting messages without a subject line #suggestion

Debbie

I wrote about this a couple of times in the past few years, and never saw anything about why it's not being done. I think it's great that when someone tries to send a message it is automatically rejected if it has no subject line. I would love it if that feature would be applied to the messages sent to the owner address. I get those often and find it very annoying.

Have a good weekend,

Debbie

I hope this feature never goes away. And, yes, I also want this to apply to owner messages as well.

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 04:49 PM, Debbie wrote:

I think it's great that when someone tries to send a message it is
automatically rejected if it has no subject line. I would love it if that
feature would be applied to the messages sent to the owner address.
I think that honest prospective members are more likely to write to +owner without Subject than spammers.

ro-esp

If this is a suggestion, I'd like some clarity on what you mean by "rejected". Does the message simply get discarded, or does the author get a message back saying something like "you sent a message without a subjectline, so we assume it was sent in error and it was not sent to the group"

I'd prefer the latter. I too think it should cover messages to the +owner address

groetjes, Ronaldo

I would like this too. Since my group uses hashtags, all that happens is that the hashtags show as hashtags and are then repeated as the subject line, so members continue sending messages with hashtags rather than subject lines.

Personally, I'd prefer messages sent to the group without a subject line to get rejected, but I don't mind messages sent to the mods without a subject line.

Helen

For those asking for clarification: It's not really that the message gets rejected in the usual sense, because it is not even allowed to be submitted without a subject. The composition box stops you right after you hit "Send" and says "You must include a subject." right below the subject line, which lights up in red.

I also personally don't care if owner messages have subject lines or not. Well, honestly, I lean very slightly towards not requiring them.

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 09:17 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
For those asking for clarification: It's not really that the message gets rejected in the usual sense, because it is not even allowed to be submitted without a subject.
This would be for online submissions.  If sent via email, the message is actually bounced with the message "500 This message is missing a subject. Please include a subject and send it again."  Unfortunately, a hashtag on the subject line is enough to allow it to be accepted.

Duane

Very good point.

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 7:39 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 09:17 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
For those asking for clarification: It's not really that the message gets rejected in the usual sense, because it is not even allowed to be submitted without a subject.
This would be for online submissions.  If sent via email, the message is actually bounced with the message "500 This message is missing a subject. Please include a subject and send it again."  Unfortunately, a hashtag on the subject line is enough to allow it to be accepted.

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 10:39 AM, Duane wrote:
Unfortunately, a hashtag on the subject line is enough to allow it to be accepted.
Yep...a source of annoyance for me.

Topics are supposed to have subjects. Not sure how the threading algorithm is supposed to work without one.

Regards,
Bruce

Malcolm Austen

On Sat, 23 May 2020 15:54:07 +0100, Bruce Bowman <@BruceBowman> wrote:

Topics are supposed to have subjects. Not sure how the threading algorithm is supposed to work without one.
Emails are (or should be) threaded on the basis of the threading headers, not on the basis of the subject line.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen <@malcolma>

Given the bouncing if sent via email, I feel even more strongly that owner messages without a subject should be allowed. These are potentially coming from people completely unfamiliar with the group or even groups.io.

However, I agree that the issue of hashtags qualifying as subjects in group messages needs to be fixed.

Thomas Gruber

Hi,
If they can send emails then they should be able to enter a subject. That‘s not a groups.io thing really, that‘s just good behavior in email traffic. I think a rejection is appropriate. And if I was a group owner I also wouldn’t want to receive emails without subject.
Or if you want to be really generous, a warning reply - like „please don‘t send emails without subject“ - and accept the message anyway.
Thomas

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 11:05 AM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
Emails are (or should be) threaded on the basis of the threading headers...
Not always. See https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/6321

Bruce

Malcolm Austen

On 23/05/2020 16:43:24, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 11:05 AM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
Emails are (or should be) threaded on the basis of the threading headers...
Not always. See https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/6321
Malcolm Austen:
Yes Bruce, there are extra possibilities. The point I intended to make was that even if there is no subject line, messages can be correctly threaded by means of the email headers.

Malcolm.

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 08:39 AM, Thomas Gruber wrote:
Or if you want to be really generous, a warning reply - like „please don‘t send emails without subject“
I think even that is too much if a relationship has not yet been established. People DO send blank emails to subscribe, unsubscribe, etc. It's not standard practice or in any way required that all emails have subject lines.

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 08:39 AM, Thomas Gruber wrote:
That‘s not a groups.io thing really,
My point was not that it's a groups.io thing. My point was that there may have been no relationship established yet, so it doesn't seem appropriate to me to slap them on the wrist ("please don't send emails without subjects") for not including a subject, or worse yet, bounce their email.

ro-esp

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 05:05 PM, Malcolm Austen wrote:

Emails are (or should be) threaded on the basis of the threading headers,
not on the basis of the subject line.
I disagree. If you change the subjectline, it's your intention to create a new thread.

Also, I don't want to copy one of the worst parts of googlegroups:
if you send a reply to a digest about subject A, and then send a reply to the same digest about subject B, the second message is threaded as subject A, and sent with the subjectline A ..

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo

Malcolm Austen

On 23/05/2020 17:25:59, ro-esp <ro-esp@...> wrote:

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 05:05 PM, Malcolm Austen wrote:

> Emails are (or should be) threaded on the basis of the threading headers,
> not on the basis of the subject line.

I disagree. If you change the subjectline, it's your intention to create a new thread.
Malcolm Austen:

I argue the converse. If you want to start a new topic, you should compose a new message. It should be permissible to correct a typo in the subject line without starting a new topic.

Malcolm.

This has been hashed and rehashed an rerehashed in the past and the decision was made to thread topics based on subject line as well, because sometimes they were not threading correctly otherwise. I think that was the right decision and it should stay as is. This is going off on a tangent .

On 23/05/2020 17:36:39, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

This has been hashed and rehashed an rerehashed in the past and the decision was made to thread topics based on subject line as well, because sometimes they were not threading correctly otherwise. I think that was the right decision and it should stay as is. This is going off on a tangent .
Malcolm Austen:
Indeed.
I thought the question was asked as to how messages can be threaded correctly if they have no subject line.
I attempted to answer that in such a case they can be threaded correctly by means of the threading headers.

Malcolm.