Topics

moderated Reinstate previous version of groups home page on mobile devices #suggestion

Andy Wedge

Hi,

until a couple of days ago the mobile version of the groups homepage (https://groups.io/groups) was very useful and displayed details about the number of members and pending messages and subscription requests. Then it just displayed very small mobile site icons and group names that were almost so small you couldn't see them clearly. Now the icons and text are a bit larger and readable but the useful information about members and pending actions is still missing. Can we please reinstate the earlier version? As it stands I think it's user unfriendly as it requires many more user actions to locate and act upon pending moderator actions.

Thanks,
Andy

Duane

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 09:32 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
but the useful information about members and pending actions is still missing
Have you tried landscape mode?  It looks to me like those items only disappear when the screen is less than 750 pixels wide.  Seems like it would be way too scrunched to read below that, but I guess it would depend on the device.

Duane

Andy Wedge

Hi Duane

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 03:47 PM, Duane wrote:
Have you tried landscape mode?  It looks to me like those items only disappear when the screen is less than 750 pixels wide.
Landscape mode has no effect and I checked my default browser and another before posting about this.  It was perfectly fine in portrait mode on my Galaxy S7 Edge until recently.

Andy

Hi All,

Sorry about that. That was unintentional. The old mobile Groups page is back up.

I'm working on a new design for that page, but it's not done yet and was not supposed to be rolled out yet.

Andy Wedge

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 05:00 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Sorry about that. That was unintentional. The old mobile Groups page is back up.
Perfect!  Thanks for the quick response.

Regards,
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 05:02 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 05:00 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Sorry about that. That was unintentional. The old mobile Groups page is back up.
Perfect!  Thanks for the quick response.

Regards,
Andy

Hi Mark,

I notice the mobile Groups page has changed again. I can see that it shows pending messages and member subscriptions but it's missing the number of members in a group. From an owner/mod point of view, this information is really useful particularly when the member list view on a mobile device does not display the number of members.

Apart from the addition of a sort feature (which even with my list of 34 groups and subgroups I think I am unlikely to use) I can't see any advantage for the new layout with smaller icons and links for pending messages and subscriptions.

Regards,
Andy

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 3:10 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

I notice the mobile Groups page has changed again. I can see that it shows pending messages and member subscriptions but it's missing the number of members in a group. From an owner/mod point of view, this information is really useful particularly when the member list view on a mobile device does not display the number of members.

Can you give me some more information on why you'd like the number of members on that page? Are you using that as a proxy for something else? That number generally doesn't change much.

billsf9c

Mark, Prospective members want to know and judge between lists they will join, partially by member count and use it when they act like BMOC to ellicite a pal to join.

Also used to readily note if after ruffled feathers, there's a loss, and a word needs to be said about it. It's just handy. 5 members in 1500 is nothing but reminds us to remind members that they can wreck things being low on tact.

Ideal of course is it being a clickable owner-option.

BillSF9c

Andy Wedge

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 05:16 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Can you give me some more information on why you'd like the number of members on that page? Are you using that as a proxy for something else? That number generally doesn't change much.
From an owner/mod point of view it's a simple and easy way to get an overview of members in our different subgroups and a feel for the uptake of the different interests or geographic regions each one represents. The membership numbers are displayed on the feeds page but along with loads of other information and the order changes based upon group activity so that does not provide an easy to use summary.  Going to the members list for each individual group involves more users actions and doesn't help as the number of members is not displayed on mobile devices.

Regards,
Andy

Duane

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 04:42 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
that does not provide an easy to use summary.  Going to the members list for each individual group involves more users actions and doesn't help as the number of members is not displayed on mobile devices.
Not 100% sure it will show what you want, but try going to the main group, then select Subgroups on the left (NOT the one under Admin).  For a parent group owner, the page that opens will list all groups and subgroups, along with the number of members in each and some other info.  A bit messy, but seems to have what you're looking for.

Duane

Andy Wedge

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 12:10 AM, Duane wrote:
Not 100% sure it will show what you want, but try going to the main group, then select Subgroups on the left (NOT the one under Admin).
Hi Duane,

I've looked at that too. It does show membership details of subgroups as you say but does not show pending messages or subscriptions, and it involves more user actions to get there. The Groups page is a great overview of all groups and subgroups I am a member of and it's probably my 'go to' page on a mobile and desktop. The desktop version includes the number of members for each group and each number is also a link to the membership list which I find really useful. I'm sure that was the case on the mobile version too and it's probably one of those things I used without really thinking about it.

Andy