moderated Really lock a topic #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

Locked topics can still be posted to by Mods and co-Owners. It would be nice if there was some Message Policy setting to disable this.

Thanks for your consideration,
Bruce

This was a long and hard-won battle but I don’t see a problem with an option to disable.

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 12:47 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
This was a long and hard-won battle...
J -- My use case, if that helps:

We have a Moderator who posts a weekly "news note." It's an announcement; she doesn't want any replies. So I created a hashtag to lock the topic immediately. Nonetheless, it seems that every week one of the other Mods posts a well-meaning "thank-you" message or something of the sort. Short of taking away their Mod privileges, I have to way to prevent them from doing this.

For my edification, I would be interested in hearing more about the "battle" you are referring to.

Regards,
Bruce

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 12:14 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
I would be interested in hearing more about the "battle" you are referring to.
Without a mod's ability to post to a lock topic, any time you wanted to lock a topic, assuming you wanted to announce that it was locked - and I usually do, you had to post the announcement FIRST, and then rush to lock it before anybody posted to it. You can now lock it and then announce that it's locked. Immediately after it was implemented, I noticed that even Mark started to take advantage of it, by first locking a topic and then making the announcement.

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 12:14 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
J -- My use case, if that helps:
That should be addressed to Mark. I don't care if there's an opt-out. Whether he thinks it's worth implementing the disable option is up to him.

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 03:51 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Without a mod's ability to post to a lock topic, any time you wanted to lock a topic, assuming you wanted to announce that it was locked - and I usually do, you had to post the announcement FIRST, and then rush to lock it before anybody posted to it. You can now lock it and then announce that it's locked.
Ah, you're talking about sequential posts to an existing topic. I remember some discussion along those lines. For creating new topics locking with a hashtag seems a lot simpler.

I wish I didn't have so many Moderators. Unfortunately, I'm kinda stuck with it. We have a lot of contributors to the group (a Secretary who uploads meeting minutes, a Membership Coordinator who maintains backup Excel files, etc). I want them to be able to [mainly] use the file repository without giving that permission to everybody, and the only way I can do that is to make them all Mods.

Regards,
Bruce

Not sure what you’re saying. The topic IS “existing” once it’s created, n’est ce pas? So what’s the difference, functionally? You’ve got a locked topic (even if there’s only a single message in it) and you don’t want certain mods to post to it because of their annoying habits (or whatever). I need the functionality of allowing mods to post to locked topics. So make your case to Mark  for the ability to disable that. :-)

On Oct 31, 2021, at 2:11 PM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

[...]

In addition to the locking problem, sometimes it’s useful to issue some sort of final pronouncement or piece of info on a locked topic, without opening it all up again (and without having to change it to moderated, etc). But this case was all made before and Mark made his decision, so I’m not going to make the case all over again.

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 02:11 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
the only way I can do that is to make them all Mods.
BTW, you could put them on moderation. You probably don't want to do that, but it's not true that all mods necessarily have blanket permission to post. They could still do all their uploads.

Donald Hellen

Bruce . . .

On Sun, 31 Oct 2021 14:11:53 -0700, "Bruce Bowman" <bruce.bowman@tds.net> wrote:

I wish I didn't have so many Moderators. Unfortunately, I'm kinda stuck with it.
If you're the group owner, can't you just remove moderators you wish were not
moderators?

Feelings aside, sometimes that is necessary. Maybe getting rid of the moderators
who might post to locked topics might be a better solution than changing the way
this works?

I can see a good case for J_Catlady's side and allow you to lock the topic
FIRST, then make an announcement it's locked.

Donald

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 04:49 PM, Donald Hellen wrote:
I can see a good case for J_Catlady's side
This does not need to be relitigated! I don't have a "side." I don't care if Mark implements a disable option for this. But I assume it's not going to be completely redone on the basis of a few uncontrollable moderators. If anything needs to be done, it should, and I assume would, be simply the disable option that Bruce is asking for. Which is absolutely fine with me.

Here are a few practical options/alternatives:

1. Put the mods on moderation who you don't want to post to locked topics. They can still upload their files, etc.
2. Have a hashtag called #Locked that you can put on topics where you want it to be very obvious they're locked, and instruct your mods not to post to those. Presumably they can read.
3. Create a new moderator permission called "Post to locked topics."

Andy

I'm not following this thread closely, but I want to suggest another option (I think):

When a Moderator attempts to reply to a Locked topic, make that reply Pending.

Then another Moderator can accept it or reject it.  Even the Moderator who posted it can accept it; but that additional step should make them stop and think, and realize that it was locked and maybe they should not have tried to reply.  Not foolproof, but it's better than now where a Moderator posts a reply without realizing that it was locked.

Andy

Not a bad idea.

On Oct 31, 2021, at 9:05 PM, Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

I'm not following this thread closely, but I want to suggest another option (I think):

When a Moderator attempts to reply to a Locked topic, make that reply Pending.

Then another Moderator can accept it or reject it.  Even the Moderator who posted it can accept it; but that additional step should make them stop and think, and realize that it was locked and maybe they should not have tried to reply.  Not foolproof, but it's better than now where a Moderator posts a reply without realizing that it was locked.

Andy

Bruce,

Based on Andy's suggestion, here's your solution: make your locked topics moderated as well as locked. That will require any posts to it to go through moderation. I justed tested and confirmed this.

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 10:25 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Based on Andy's suggestion, here's your solution: make your locked topics moderated as well as locked.
Wouldn't that cause her first message to be moderated, too? Don't want to do that.

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 07:49 PM, Donald Hellen wrote:
If you're the group owner, can't you just remove moderators you wish were not moderators?
I already explained why that is not desirable (Ref: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/30701).

Regards,
Bruce

No.

On Nov 1, 2021, at 4:04 PM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 10:25 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Based on Andy's suggestion, here's your solution: make your locked topics moderated as well as locked.
Wouldn't that cause her first message to be moderated, too? Don't want to do that.

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 07:49 PM, Donald Hellen wrote:
If you're the group owner, can't you just remove moderators you wish were not moderators?
I already explained why that is not desirable (Ref: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/30701).

Regards,
Bruce

Oops, yes it would. But actually that seems pretty crazy. You should be able to create a topic with either a moderated or a locked hashtag or both and have the first message post normally. I will do some further testing. This seems to be a design bug.

Bruce and all,

I checked this out a little more.

The description of "Locked" for a hashtag reads:
"Topics created with this hashtag will be locked immediately. "

 Yet the description of "Moderated" for a hashtag reads:

"Messages with this hashtag will be moderated." (It should read "Topics" rather than "Messages" but that's another issue.)

And indeed, that's what happens for Moderated, which I think is a design flaw. If Locked were made analogous, even the first message in the topic would not be postable becausew the topic is locked before it even begins.

I think Moderated should be changed to be analagous to Locked, namely, only *replies* to the original message are moderated. The first message should be able to go through without moderation. Depending on what transpires in this conversation, I may start a separate topic for this as a suggestion or bug. If that is fixed, my solution would actually be one.

Donald Hellen

Bruce . . .

On Mon, 01 Nov 2021 16:04:39 -0700, "Bruce Bowman" <bruce.bowman@tds.net> wrote:

I already explained why that is not desirable (Ref: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/30701).
Maybe it's just an educational thing then. You must trust them enough to upload
files, so maybe they just aren't aware of your expectations?

Donald

I just posted this request:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/30721
The request is to change "Moderated" hashtags so that only replies to the topic are moderated, not the first message itself (which seems to make no sense).

If that gets implemented, then Bruce, all you have to do is tell your mods to put the same hashtag on the post that they've already been doing (the one that's Locked), but make the tag both Moderated and Locked. That's possible to do (I just tested). So when any of them tries to reply, it will go through moderation and you can stop it.

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 10:31 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I just posted this request:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/30721
The request is to change "Moderated" hashtags so that only replies to the topic are moderated, not the first message itself (which seems to make no sense).
J -- Yeah, I saw that.

If that gets implemented, then Bruce, all you have to do is tell your mods to put the same hashtag on the post that they've already been doing (the one that's Locked), but make the tag both Moderated and Locked.
I find myself unable to support this. It doesn't address my use case, inasmuch as I would now have to moderate the first message, which didn't require that before. Not only that, but as Andy and Malcolm have already stated, it breaks existing behavior that some may rely upon. I struggle to understand why this is preferable to implementing the original proposal, which doesn't break anything.

Anyway, this is my last post on the subject. My suggestion will stand or fall on its own merits. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would spark such controversy.

Bruce

On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 08:39 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
I find myself unable to support this. It doesn't address my use case, inasmuch as I would now have to moderate the first message,
Bruce,

The whole point of my immediately prior message was to explain to you that I think having to moderate the first message is a bug (or design flaw) and I expect that to be fixed! If fixed, you would NOT have to moderate the first message. That's the point.

Ironically, I had to deal with a situation somewhat skin to Bruce's in one of my groups tonight. This particular group has four mods (including me, the owner) and a couple of them are difficult egos. It's a group for my home block, and there are lot of HUGE egos in it, and I can't do much about the other mods because of the politics of the block, so I let them remain mods. So tonight I locked a very problematic topic (I seldom resort to locking topics in this group, but it was a volatile and escalating situation) but two of the mods kept posting in it! I was like, "Oh, NOW I get what Bruce was talking about!" It's a whole different kettle of fish from my cats group, which I basically control with an iron fist. I can't do that with my egomaniacal neighbors. Fortunately, in the nick of time I remembered my workaround and put the topic on moderation as well, knowing that their posts would then have to go by me. This felt very esoteric and I'll post about it in docs in the a.m. after checking to see whether this behavior is documented. ("Locked topics can be posted to by mods, but if the topic is also on moderation, their posts will be moderated.":-)

My conclusion from this experience is that my preference would be to make "Post to locked topics" a mod permission. It solves Bruce's problem without the need for (1) a fix to the "moderate-first-message in a topic that doesn't exist yet" bug (I'm still calling it a bug) and (2) the need for group owners to understand the esoteric process of putting a locked topic on moderation in order to control posts to it by other mods.

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 02:56 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
My conclusion from this experience
My own conclusion is that allowing mods to post to locked topics has now created the need or desire for further changes to work around the issues created by the original change. If a locked topic was treated as such then it would be simpler all round.  If a Mod wants to post to a locked topic, then unlock it, post and lock it again.

Andy

As I mentioned, this was heavily debated and fought fir years ago, and Mark decided to allow it, I still think that was the right decision, and even Mark takes advantage of the increased convenience. Please let’s not go through that all over again.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 10:56 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
My conclusion from this experience is that my preference would be to make "Post to locked topics" a mod permission. It solves Bruce's problem without the need for (1) a fix to the "moderate-first-message in a topic that doesn't exist yet" bug (I'm still calling it a bug) and (2) the need for group owners to understand the esoteric process of putting a locked topic on moderation in order to control posts to it by other mods.
Well, I feel obligated to violate my own rule not to post to this thread again.

The proposal above doesn't really solve my problem. Two of the worst offenders are co-Owners, not Moderators. One of them is the President of the parent organization. Making this a Moderator permission would not head them off. And as previously stated, I don't want to start moderating posts that should have been bounced in the first place.

I've considered this carefully, and from where I stand, disabling this via a Message Policy checkbox is the only way to go. But obviously, I've lived with it this long, so it can't be causing me terrible hardship. No one on my end is being malicious, they simply aren't thinking about it. If the proposal never gets any traction, so be it.

Regards,
Bruce

Agreed. A disable option works for your case. For my case, I can stick with setting the topic to moderated.

On Nov 5, 2021, at 9:48 AM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

[...]

Chris Jones

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 04:48 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Two of the worst offenders are co-Owners, not Moderators.
Would that not mean that they could disable the disable function as and when the mood suited them? Once that they had found it, that is...

The additional function would seem to be immediately vulnerable to being subverted.

Chris.

True but Bruce said they’re just unaware, not malicious. (One of the mods in MY block group, OTOH, is actually malicious…but I’m stuck with her and can just use Moderated, and she’s not a co-owner.) I doubt Bruce’s co-owners would even know how to un-disable it, or go to the trouble if they did.

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 05:15 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
One of the mods in MY block group, OTOH, is actually malicious…but I’m stuck with her and can just use Moderated
Ah... interesting. In your case the solution might be an additional per moderator permission: Allow to post to Locked Topic

Wouldn't help Bruce though.

Chris

I’ve already suggested that as a mod permission.

On Nov 5, 2021, at 10:20 AM, Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 05:15 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
One of the mods in MY block group, OTOH, is actually malicious…but I’m stuck with her and can just use Moderated
Ah... interesting. In your case the solution might be an additional per moderator permission: Allow to post to Locked Topic

Wouldn't help Bruce though.

Chris

Hi All,

I'm leaning towards no changes, but I did have one idea:

- Revert the initial change so that when a topic is locked, it's really locked and nobody can post to it
- For mods/owners, add a checkbox on the Post/Reply pages that says something like `Lock this topic after posting this`

Thoughts?

I prefer the "no changes" option but could live with the checkbox.

Ken Schweizer

Hi Mark,

I like the combination as sometimes an owner might want to post the reason the topic is locked and item two seems to give us a way to do that in one step.

Ken S

“You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can’t, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don’t give up.” ―Chuck Yeager

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 05:57 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I did have one idea:

- Revert the initial change so that when a topic is locked, it's really locked and nobody can post to it
- For mods/owners, add a checkbox on the Post/Reply pages that says something like `Lock this topic after posting this`

I like the idea of saying that if a topic is locked then nobody can post to it.  It sounds like the checkbox on the reply/post pages would be equivalent of using a hashtag with the 'Locked' attribute set or manually locking the topic after posting. Am I understanding that correctly?  If so, that works for me.

Regards
Andy

Bruce Bowman

Okay. Resurrecting this topic one last time.

Can we please just go back to my original suggestion? https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/30693  Please read it before commenting.

I'm not asking that we roll back the change made some time ago. All I want is some straightforward way to disable this. A checkbox in the Message Policies group settings would suffice ("Disable Moderator posting to locked topics").

It really doesn't seem that complicated to me.

Thanks much,
Bruce

I would have no problem with this.

On Mar 1, 2022, at 3:20 PM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

Okay. Resurrecting this topic one last time.

Can we please just go back to my original suggestion? https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/30693  Please read it before commenting.

I'm not asking that we roll back the change made some time ago. All I want is some straightforward way to disable this. A checkbox in the Message Policies group settings would suffice ("Disable Moderator posting to locked topics").

It really doesn't seem that complicated to me.

Thanks much,
Bruce

Hi All,

I've just pushed the following changes to production:

- Locked topics can no longer be posted to by anyone, including moderators
- The New Topic and reply pages now have `Lock Topic After Posting` checkboxes that will lock the topic after the message is posted