moderated Quoting Message Posts in Replies #suggestion

Drew

Currently when subscribers reply to a message post via web the message they are replying to is not quoted by default. This results in many puzzling and out-of-context replies that are essentially a waste of bandwidth and a source of irritation to other subscribers. This is a matter of simple oversight on posters' part because the Quote Message Post button is obscure and easily overlooked. Following are two suggestions for improving this:

1) A group option setting to have message posts quoted by default. This would suppress the Quote Message Post button from the composition window and automatically quote the message being replied to. Only the immediate post would be quoted; not accumulated threads. The poster could edit or delete the quoting if they wished to do so.

2) An interactive alert ("popup") in the composition window giving the poster the option to quote the post they are replying to, for example: "Would you like to quote the message you are replying to?". This would at least remind posters of the option

Drew

Donald Hellen

On Sat, 22 May 2021 07:08:33 -0700, "Drew" <pubx1@af2z.net> wrote:

2) An interactive alert ("popup") in the composition window giving the poster the option to quote the post they are replying to, for example: "Would you like to quote the message you are replying to?". This would at least remind posters of the option
I'm in favor of this second option but not the one that automatically
quotes messages.

Donald

Andy

Wait -- Are you saying there is a "Quote Message Post" button?

Wow, that button really IS obscure!  You're not kidding.  I knew you can quote from a message by highlighting text before clicking "Reply", but I did not realize there was a (cloaked) button to add quoted text after clicking Reply.

Personally, I am not in favor of quotes enabled by default..

Personally, I dislike quoted messages on Groups.io because they look dramatically different in email vs. on the web -- not just different, they look horrible when read in email.  It probably depends on how the reply was sent.  But I digress.

Andy

Duane

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 03:52 PM, Andy wrote:
I knew you can quote from a message by highlighting text before clicking "Reply", but I did not realize there was a (cloaked) button to add quoted text after clicking Reply.
It's explained in the Members Manual, so not completely obscure.  I think a lot of owners only read the Owners Manual, not realizing that if it's something a member can do, it's in the other manual.

Duane

Chris Jones

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 05:28 PM, Donald Hellen wrote:
I'm in favor of this second option but not the one that automatically
quotes messages.
From my perspective I'm not happy about either; it is a case of be careful what you wish for, just in case you get it.

"Overquoting" is a perpetual problem, with (on occasions) a new message being accompanied by goodness knows how many previous posts, each of which includes the post(s) that preceded it.

Far better to educate & encourage group members in the art of selective quoting so that only sufficient prior material to provide essential context for a reply is included.

Why implement a system that (as described) would almost certainly result in overquoting?

Chris

Drew,

This would suppress the Quote Message Post button from the composition
window and automatically quote the message being replied to.
Or perhaps convert it into a Remove Quote function, in case you don't want it there.

Only the immediate post would be quoted; not accumulated threads.
That's the real trick.

I believe that it has been suggested long ago in beta, both in terms of the Quote Message Post function and in terms of auto-trimming trailing quotes in posts by email. Many cases can be handled by a few relatively simple heuristics, but ultimately one runs into the rabbit-hole of all the various quoting mark-ups used (or not used) by members' email applications.

I think that rabbit-hole is part of the reason Reply doesn't simply quote the whole message post (absent a selected text), as many email interfaces do, and the Quote Message Post button was the work-around. On the theory that anyone who uses it deliberately would be more likely to trim the result than if it were simply a default action.

My only concern with making it a group option is that it is yet another behavior that could be inconsistent among my group memberships. On the other hand, I'll disqualify myself from that opinion because I rarely post via web. Also, in many groups most of the members are solely members of that group, so it may be that relatively few users would ever notice the inconsistency.

2) An interactive alert ("popup") in the composition window giving the
poster the option to quote the post they are replying to, ...
I'm really not a fan of nagging popups - especially when they force a decision and extra click at that moment. I'd almost rather see Clippy* float over and suggest that you might like to use the Quote Message Post function.

Shal
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Assistant