Topics

Publicly Listed Groups results #bug

Duane

When paging through the results of the various views in the groups directory, there comes a point when it won't show the next page.  It always happens when crossing over the 10,000 results line.  As an example, if I go to https://groups.io/search?p=SubsCount,,,20,2,9980,0, all works fine.  When I scroll to the bottom and use the right arrow to go to page 501, there are no results shown, even though it (currently) says 10001 - 10020 of 32031 and the URL shows https://groups.io/search?p=SubsCount,,,20,2,10000,0.  I suspect it's when the results get into the 5 digit range.  Probably not something many people will do, but it's a bit irritating when I'm playing with search parameters there. ;>)

Hi Duane,

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 8:07 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
When paging through the results of the various views in the groups directory, there comes a point when it won't show the next page.  It always happens when crossing over the 10,000 results line.  As an example, if I go to https://groups.io/search?p=SubsCount,,,20,2,9980,0, all works fine.  When I scroll to the bottom and use the right arrow to go to page 501, there are no results shown, even though it (currently) says 10001 - 10020 of 32031 and the URL shows https://groups.io/search?p=SubsCount,,,20,2,10000,0.  I suspect it's when the results get into the 5 digit range.  Probably not something many people will do, but it's a bit irritating when I'm playing with search parameters there. ;>)

I didn't know this until now, but it's apparently tricky to pull more than 10,000 results out of Elasticsearch, the search software that we use. To fix, I'd have to do some research into the issue. Is this something that you're coming up against a lot?

Hi Mark,

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 05:45 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Is this something that you're coming up against a lot?
Only when playing...  Some of us are trying to figure out what all the parameters do in various search functions.  Rather than bother you with trivial questions, we've been experimenting and this is one of the things that popped up.  Since it doesn't appear to be a simple fix, I certainly won't complain about it.  There are much more important things to work on.  But at least now we know there's a reason in some cases.

Thanks again,
Duane