Topics

moderated Public archives #suggestion

Only just noticed this group has public archives. Not sure if this changed, because I never knowingly post in groups with public archives. In fact, I don't usually even join them.

I see no reason why a group to help people using a particular listserv should be set up so the whole world can see posts sent to it, and suggest that it changes. If it doesn't, I will not post here again (but am thankful I used my website e-mail address and not my private one).

Duane

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 03:41 PM, Tanya's Feline CKD wrote:
Not sure if this changed
Nope, it's been that way since day 1.  It's so folks can find answers to questions without needing to join a group, same as Group_Help and GMF.

Duane

Hi Helen,

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 1:41 PM Tanya's Feline CKD <helen@...> wrote:
Only just noticed this group has public archives. Not sure if this changed, because I never knowingly post in groups with public archives. In fact, I don't usually even join them.

It's always had a public archive, and that won't change. I have very much appreciated your feedback and suggestions over the years and hope you'll stay.

Mark

I'm also happy this group has public archives, as I can give it a quick check for new messages at times when I don't want to log on.

If it helps, the public can't see much about you from the archives if you don't write it out fully in a message. Someone subscribed by mail could see your email address, but someone looking at the archives can see at most "Tanya's Feline CKD <helen@...>".

JohnF

It's a given that it has not changed from private to public. That's a one-way street and goes only in the other direction. I concur with Mark about your excellent suggestions, in particular the one about moderating the first message of every topic, which I have made my group setting. I always use alias email addresses for any forums, with the two exceptions being groups for the neighborhood I live in.

Oh, also your suggestion about new member notifications was golden. 😊

On May 28, 2020, at 10:16 AM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

It's a given that it has not changed from private to public. That's a one-way street and goes only in the other direction. I concur with Mark about your excellent suggestions, in particular the one about moderating the first message of every topic, which I have made my group setting. I always use alias email addresses for any forums, with the two exceptions being groups for the neighborhood I live in.

Sorry, I'm done here. I've always loathed public groups. I would have joined groups.io much earlier, but it only allowed public groups at the time so we went with bigtent instead.

I've also never understood the rationale for having groups public so people can read without having to join. Joining is not exactly hard, and you don't have to post. Basically all members' messages are visible for the benefit of those non-members who cannot be bothered to join.

Thanks for the help, and bye.

Helen