Topics

moderated Problems replying to digest messages? #misc

Chris Jones

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 04:58 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Her email is just not handling a reply link.
Any chance of a screenshot or two from the bottom of the digest?

Chris

ro-esp

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 07:59 PM, ro-esp wrote:

If you want to reply from your own email, you click the "reply" of
your
email and delete the stuff in the digest that you don't reply to, and
change the subjectline to that of the thread you are replying to.
and apparently, that does work, AND gets threaded properly.

I'm not sure whether the line
"Do not reply to this email. To reply to one of the messages in the digest, click on the link at the bottom of the message." should be changed

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo

She doesn't want to reply to sender. She wants to post a reply in the group. In any case, for all I know that may not work for her either. I doubt Reply to Sender or Reply to Group has anything to do with this. Her email is just not handling a reply link.

Judy F.

Maybe I'm missing something in this thread, but if she is only wanting to reply to one message in a digest, she should click on Reply to Sender and it will go directly to the person that wrote the original message.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

ro-esp

From: J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 18:12:02 CET
On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 10:07 AM, ro-esp wrote:

The situation is that she's trying to reply to an individual message via
email
within a digest, and this is what she says happens:
" When I click on Reply to Group on the message
Why would you do that? that's supposed to take you to the
iogroups-website.
If you want to reply from your own email, you click the "reply" of your
email and delete the stuff in the digest that you don't reply to, and
change the subjectline to that of the thread you are replying to.
This is what I'm trying now

"Why would you do that"? Because the digest specifically says at the top "do not reply to this email.
Good point, but that's just MF's preference. In some cases replying to several messages in one thread at the same time makes sense

To reply click reply-to-group below
any message." That is not the option that takes you to the site.
It takes you to the part of the site where you compose your reply. At leas that's how it works in plain-digests

That's a different option, "view/reply online." There is no "reply to this message" in a digest.
I agree that there is no "reply to this digest" -link, but as a digest is an email-message, you can (ab)use the reply (and edit out the "noreply" thingy...IF YOU INSIST on replying by email)

Now let's see how this message is threaded

groetjes, Ronaldo

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 10:07 AM, ro-esp wrote:
The situation is that she's trying to reply to an individual message via email
within a digest, and this is what she says happens:
" When I click on Reply to Group on the message
Why would you do that? that's supposed to take you to the iogroups-website.
If you want to reply from your own email, you click the "reply" of your email and delete the stuff in the digest that you don't reply to, and change the subjectline to that of the thread you are replying to.
"Why would you do that"? Because the digest specifically says at the top "do not reply to this email. To reply click reply-to-group below any message." That is not the option that takes you to the site. That's a different option, "view/reply online." There is no "reply to this message" in a digest. There is only "view/reply online" and "reply to group."

ro-esp

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 12:47 AM, J_Catlady wrote:

The situation is that she's trying to reply to an individual message via email
within a digest, and this is what she says happens:
" When I click on Reply to Group on the message
Why would you do that? that's supposed to take you to the iogroups-website.
If you want to reply from your own email, you click the "reply" of your email and delete the stuff in the digest that you don't reply to, and change the subjectline to that of the thread you are replying to.

So to reply via email to a digest message, do you have to be logged into
groups.io in that same browser in order for the message to post, and otherwise
the message just disappears?
If you click "reply to this message" it should take you to the website of the io-group, right away

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo

Thanks, I’ll let her know.

On Oct 26, 2020, at 8:32 AM, West Coast Compañeros Staff <westcoastcompaneros@...> wrote:

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 04:47 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I'm not sure whether or not this is a bug. I don't use the digest in any of my groups, so I am unfamiliar with the way it is supposed to work, but this seems to be a problem. A member of one of my groups complained to me about it and told me she noticed it recently and that "it didn't used to do this."

The situation is that she's trying to reply to an individual message via email within a digest, and this is what she says happens:
"When I click on Reply to Group on the message it opens a completely blank new tab in my email program (Thunderbird) (not even send etc. fields) and I can't use it to respond. Any idea what's going on? I used to be able to respond directly from the messages or digests in Yahoo and I'm pretty sure I've done so in io also, but for a while now this is how it's behaved."
J,

I can reproduce this error using the current release of Thunderbird for Macintosh, version 78.4.0. It happens whenever I try to reply to a message using the footer links (either Reply to Group or Reply to Sender), whether it is an individual message or in a digest. A new tab opens in Thunderbird with the title "Loading..." and nothing further happens. (See attached screenshot.) If this is not the case in Thunderbird for Windows, it would point to a bug in Thunderbird for Mac. If it also occurs in Thunderbird for Windows then I would be surprised that it has not been reported before now. In that case it could be a general Thunderbird bug or it could be due to the way Groups.io formulates the footer reply links.

The workarounds for an individual message is 1) to use the Thunderbird interface to reply to the group (or to the sender, if the individual's email address is known). or 2) to make the reply using the Groups.io web interface. The only way to reply to a message In a digest is to use the Groups.io web interface.

Robert R.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 08:32 AM, West Coast Compañeros Staff wrote:
I can reproduce this error using the current release of Thunderbird for Macintosh, version 78.4.0. It happens whenever I try to reply to a message using the footer links (either Reply to Group or Reply to Sender), whether it is an individual message or in a digest. A new tab opens in Thunderbird with the title "Loading..." and nothing further happens. (See attached screenshot.)
The attachment didn't make it into my previous message. Here it is.

[...]

I suspected, but have not yet determined, that she may not have been logged into groups.io when she did this, or that she was logged into the wrong account. To test that, I set myself up to digest mode in my test group and sent 12 messages to generate a digest. I received the digest in my email (gmail under safari, not the safari mail program) and tried to reply to a message in it while being logged into a groups.io account that's not a member of that group. The message just went into a black hole. It does not appear anywhere except in the gmail sent file.

I then logged out and logged into the account that is a member of the group, and tried the same thing, and the message went through.

So to reply via email to a digest message, do you have to be logged into groups.io in that same browser in order for the message to post, and otherwise the message just disappears? This seems wrong. And what's going on with her Thunderbird email, which seems to behave in an even weird way? As I said, I still need to check to see whether she was logged into groups.io (and the "correct" account), but either way, there seems to be a problem, or problems, here.