Private messages sent via groups.io are not logged? #misc

Andy

If someone sends a private reply, it seems the act of sending the message is not logged in the Activity Log.

I'm wondering (a) if my understanding is correct, and (b) if it seems right that groups.io doesn't log it.  I would have thought that it would.  So many other things are logged - private messages to +owner, group messages rejected, etc.  Heck, messages from a Moderator to a member are logged; so why not messages from a member to a member?

(I am not a fan of having the contents of the message in the log; just an entry that says a message was sent.)

Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 05:32 PM, Andy wrote:
If someone sends a private reply, it seems the act of sending the message is not logged in the Activity Log.

I'm wondering (a) if my understanding is correct, and (b) if it seems right that groups.io doesn't log it.
Private responses to group emails never pass through groups.io and therefore cannot be intercepted and logged. It seems appropriate -- or at least consistent -- that private messages sent via the groups.io web interface be treated the same way. Having said that, I would not object to having them appear in the log; if that's what everyone wants to do.

Regards,
Bruce

This is just my opinion, but if a log entry is recorded, the message is by definition not private.
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas