Topics

locked Preventing Reply to Group/Sender mixups

AQ <aq2sw3@...>

I think it needs to be up to the group whether is a choice for the sender
or the choice of the group owner where replies are sent. In some groups,
it is important for messages to go only to the sender, while in others private
messages would be unwelcome. In other groups, it can be up to the sender
to decide with no group preference indicated or required.

Weirdly, this message came in five minutes ago by private email from a group member: "Subject: messages. God I hope I'm not getting these messages screwed up and responding in the wrong place. It's getting confusing."

And *now* I'm out of here.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

I'm saying I'm "thinking email" or anything having to do with email specifically. I was using that as an example of how we customarilu communicate in any medium: you first think of whom you are writing to, and then you write the content. When I compost a message that I mean to send to someone offlist, I know that immediately, before I even start writing, and it feels odd to first click "reply" and only later to click "reply to sender" (or "send to sender" - I don't think it makes much difference). It makes me slightly nervous, when I click "reply," that it will somehow go to the whole group even if I know I have the option later. It is psychological.

Am I right that your group, Maria, has not transferred over yet? So you haven't experienced the uptick in mixups that my group has. It might be premature to conclude that they won't happen.

I think that's all I can say about this. I don't have any more arguments that I can make.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Maria

I'd be curious to see how much of an issue this is when the new green/blue buttons roll out.

While It's not the way one goes about composing an email, when I am on the web interface, I am thinking more "forum" than "email". In forums you generally compose and then click send. Groups.io has the added benefit of being able to reply privately, and doesn't make you jump hoops to send a PM via a profile link, like many other forums do... So, I wasn't even looking at it from an email behavior POV. When I am on the web interface, I feel I am in a forum not my email client.

I just love that the reply options are the same as the ones in digest and html emails and with the group one being green and with the reply arrow icon, my eye goes there first. I am so comfortable with it and it feels so easy on mobile too that it's hard to see it wit the eyes of someone who has never seen it before.

I will say that I have looked  at the buttons and wondered if maybe they should say "send to group" and "send to sender" as that would be more accurate perhaps,  but "send to sender" sounds weird.

Maria

...and offline too, for that matter. We have in our heads who we're writing to. We don't compose s message and decide afterwards who we're talking to. Everyone who's ever written an offlust message knows this very well. Or a letter. So normal, usual order (choose the addresses first) fits what we do in our heads. Choosing afterwards is unintuitive, surprising, and at minimum, takes some getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 1, 2016, at 5:48 PM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

p.s. In email, you don't first compose your message and then fill in the addressee(s). Addressing someone first and then writing the content is the normal, accepted, conventional order of communicating online.

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 5:44 PM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

My group had almost no mixups before we transferred over from Y!G. Since transferring, the mixups are constantly occurring (a bit less now than at the very beginning after the transfer, but they are still significant). So I don't think everything is as crystal clear to the group members as it may seem to us.

I'm not suggesting reverting to what Y!G does. I'm just saying, as I said when I agreed with Jennifer, who broached this idea, that it seems more intuitive to click "reply to (whoever)" before composing your message, rather than after. I'm sure there's a way to do that without being as clumsy as yahoo is about it.

The blue and green buttons may help, but my gut feeling is that they will help only marginally. It still seems a weird selection order.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

[...]

Hi Mark

I really LOVE the way it is now. I think the green and blue buttons, with"reply to group" or "reply to sender" written on them are simple and self explanatory.

They also mirror what's on the groups.io digest/individual emails as well as Y! digests/individual emails. So the process of replying and selecting who to reply to feels exactly as it does on the digest and individual emails. I love that consistency.

I actually think that the way it is in Groups.io is much clearer than in Y! where the "To" header on the interface is set by default to either group or sender based on the group preferences and in order to bypass the default you have to expand headers and use the drop down menu to select a different recipient. We get people replying accidentally to sender or group with that method ALL the time and I know I've received a lot of feedback that doing it that way (like Y! has it set up) is confusing/tricky.

So, when I saw the way groups.io has it set up I was so relieved that it would be crystal clear.

I love the way you have it now: it feels like the individual emails, it feels like the digests, it feels simple and clear. I've gotten the same feedback from others in our test group I've shown this too and there was relief that finally it would feel simple.

I'm sure whatever you come up with will be simpler and better than Y! but I did want to share that the way it is now feels good to me.

Maria

Hi All,

I'm bringing this to a new thread. It was suggested that when replying to a message on the website that, to reduce the chance of a reply to group/sender mixup, that you should have to select what type of reply you want before you actually can type in the reply. That is, the Reply link under a message would somehow have to be changed force you to pick Reply to Sender or Reply to Group before the reply box came up.

Do you think this would help with Group/Sender mixups? Do you have other ideas on how to reduce these mixups?