Posting a message "from" the group owner address doesn't post as from the group owner address #bug

Andy

When a group owner/moderator posts a new message from the web interface, they have the option to send the message "From" either their own email address, or from the group owner's address, "groupname+owner@groups.io".

The latter does not work.

Instead, the message posts with the individual's email address as the sender.

Andy

Chris Jones

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 05:23 PM, Andy wrote:
...the message posts with the individual's email address as the sender.
Are you sure about that? I ask because I had the need to post as Group Owner earlier this week; I have just double - checked the email I received as a result and it was the Group Owner email address. However, it was associated with my Display Name, which might be the point that you are actually making.

I raised this matter eons ago but without any changes taking place; if I get the chance I will try to find the (beta) message concerned.

Chris

Chris Jones

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 05:37 PM, I wrote:
if I get the chance I will try to find the (beta) message concerned.
Rather more quickly than I had expected I found it; see here. FWIW "eons" in the previous message turned out to be just over 4 years.

Chris

I just test-posted a Message to Member to my alternate account and the email shows up not as coming from the group owner but from me. Whether it's the address or the display name or both, it's not good. I'd always assumed that a Message to Member sent as the group owner was virtually anonymous, in the sense that the member could see only that it's coming from the group owner. I think this conversation is about posting a message to the group, rather than sending a message to an individual member, but it applies to this case too.

Donald Hellen

I just now sent a message as group owner to myself and there's no indication on
the message I opened that it came from me. It came from the group-owner address,
no reference whatsoever which of the owners it was from.

Donald

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 10:31 AM, Donald Hellen wrote:
I just now sent a message as group owner to myself and there's no indication on
the message I opened that it came from me. It came from the group-owner address,
That's odd.

Chris Jones

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 06:23 PM, Janet_Catlady wrote:
I'd always assumed that a Message to Member sent as the group owner was virtually anonymous, in the sense that the member could see only that it's coming from the group owner.
Well I've just done the same and it worked OK. Interestingly (or not!) a DM to another member sent as the Group Owner does not include the Display Name, just the (group owner) email address. Posts to the Group do include a personal Display Name as mentioned previously.

Chris

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 10:47 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
a DM to another member sent as the Group Owner does not include the Display Name, just the (group owner) email address.
Are you talking about using the Send Message feature from the member page? That's what I'm doing, and it always shows my display name. Not the owner address.

Andy

The messages I am talking about are messages I posted to a group via New Topic, not to an individual.  But as you say, the same problem might apply to both.

I just double-checked, and the message I posted has no trace of the group+owner's address that it should have had, both in the copy that's in the web interface and in the email copy I received.  They both show *my* display name and *my* email address, only, as the "From" name/address.

I recall seeing this happen before too, a few months ago, but did not bother to follow up.

That's interesting that it seems to work sometimes.  I wonder if it depends on the group's settings....

Andy

Donald Hellen

Mine was from the member list page, checked me as the member, then chose send a
message.

I didn't try a post to the group as group-owner but if that's an issue, I'll try
that as well as a test.

Donald

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:56:56 -0700, "Janet_Catlady"
<JanetOliviaCatlady@gmail.com> wrote:

Are you talking about using the Send Message feature from the member page? That's what I'm doing, and it always shows my display name. Not the owner address.

Marina

Andy wrote:
I just double-checked, and the message I posted has no trace of the group+owner's address that it should have had, both in the copy that's in the web interface and in the email copy I received.  They both show *my* display name and *my* email address, only, as the "From" name/address.
I have a similar problem. If I send a message in a group from the +owner's address, the email copy shows my display name (for that specific group) + the owner's address, however the web interface shows just my display name. So, apparently, group members who read posts via web can't see any difference between messages sent personally or as the groups' owner.

Marina

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 06:11 AM, Marina wrote:
 apparently, group members who read posts via web can't see any difference between messages sent personally or as the groups' owner.
And worse, if you try to send an "anonymous" (i.e., just from owner) "message to member" via Send Message, all they see in the email is your actual address. No owner address at all.

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 08:20 AM, Janet_Catlady wrote:
And worse, if you try to send an "anonymous" (i.e., just from owner) "message to member" via Send Message, all they see in the email is your actual address. No owner address at all.
I'm not seeing that.  It appears that the owner address is the default for Message To Member and I have to click/select my address before it's used.

Duane

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 06:40 AM, Duane wrote:
I'm not seeing that.
I know. At least one other person here is also not seeing it. But I've tested this a couple of times. As someone here suggested, maybe it depends on some group setting?

Chris Jones

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 02:40 PM, Duane wrote:
I'm not seeing that.
Neither am I. I have just repeated some tests on another group; the results were as follows, and confirm my previous findings both yesterday and 4 years ago.

Posts (replies) sent to Group:

On the web UI my own Display Name identified me as the originator in both cases with no indication that one message had been sent as a Group Owner.

The emails sent to the group used my own Display name in both cases; in one case it was allied to the Group Owner email address; in the other it was allied with my personal address.

Posts sent to individual member: The message sent by me as a member showed my (group) Display Name and my own email address as the originator; the message sent by me as Group Owner had no Display Name, just showing the Group Owner email address.

In other words, out of the four test messages sent (two of which were readable on both the seb UI and by email) only in the direct message to member sent as Group Owner was it fairly obvious that it had been sent by the Group Owner, and even then only by the absence of a potentially misleading Display Name.

Who routinely examines the full detail of the origin of an email to determine the exact "status" of the sender?

Well I certainly don't other in those cases where the email looks a bit "iffy".

Chris

Ok. I wll test it again later today.

Donald Hellen

Now I am wondering if Mark is testing different versions of the GIO interface,
like Facebook does, across subsets of the user base. For instance, you and I
could see quite a different FB page at the same moment. This happens all the
time and few are even aware of it.

That makes it difficult to keep browser add-ins working for everyone who uses a
FB "fixer" add-in, because while it works for one person, it may not for
another. Then again, a fix made in an add-on for FB might fix a problem for most
of the users might just create a new problem for others. This is the case with
the FB "fixer" called Social Fixer. It works well, for most of the users, most
of the time. But sometimes FB makes a change across a subset of its user base
and only some have problems because of it. Others don't have any problems,
because they weren't in the subset where the changes are being tested.

I mention this just in case Mark rolls out new features slowly across all users.
I didn't think he did this, but now I'm wondering if this is indeed the case
here since we're seeing different results when doing the same things.

Of course, all bets are off if there's a "fixer" add-in for GIO that some are
using and some are not. I am not aware of any, though, at this time.

Donald

On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 06:57:16 -0700, "Janet_Catlady"

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 12:06 PM, Donald Hellen wrote:
Now I am wondering if Mark is testing different versions of the GIO interface,
like Facebook does
How can you mention groups.io and Facebook in the same breath! lol
I will test again later. Just running out the door now...

Chip Davis <chip@...>

<sigh> I already have members asking for that interface ... :-/

As I posted to another forum just the other day: "Friends don't let friend use The Facebook", to a surprisingly large agreement.  -C-

Hi All,

Messages sent by the +owner address were being emailed with the correct From address. They were not being displayed on the website correctly, however, as you've noticed. I've fixed that.

I do not do any sort of user interface A/B testing. Everybody gets the exact same web site. The only testing I've done is through the use of the /settest URLs which I think I've posted about a couple of times in the past, for people to opt-in to different things (there are none of those at the moment).

Hi All,

I forgot to mention that this fix only applies to new messages. Old messages will still be displayed incorrectly on the website.

Chris Jones

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 10:19 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Messages sent by the +owner address were being emailed with the correct From address. They were not being displayed on the website correctly, however, as you've noticed. I've fixed that.
Mark; I've just done a test elsewhere and can confirm that the web UI display is now correct; much better!

However, I would argue that the format of the emailed post is still at best "unclear", as it is still personal Display Name + "owner" email address. As you have changed the web UI format is it not possible to change the email "From" line to be <Group Moderator> <Group Owner email address>? That would then be consistent between web UI and email appearance; at the moment it is somewhat inconsistent and thus potentially confusing for members.

Chris

Chris, I have not had time to retest this but I absolutely, distinctly remember that the display name is at least included in the From address. That makes the feature virtually useless for Send Message.

Marina

Chris Jones:
Mark; I've just done a test elsewhere and can confirm that the web UI display is now correct; much better!

In my case, nothing has changed, unfortunately.
I've just sent a message in two of my groups from the owner's address and in the web interface both show with my Display Name, as before.

Marina

Marina

On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 10:15 AM, Marina wrote:
I've just sent a message in two of my groups from the owner's address and in the web interface both show with my Display Name, as before.

To be more precise, after another test:
in the web message archive (topics page) both messages show my display name.
Only if I open them they show "Group Moderator" as the sender (why not "Group Owner", I wonder?)

Thank you for your help.
Marina

Chris Jones

On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 09:29 AM, Marina wrote:
...in the web message archive (topics page) both messages show my display name.
Only if I open them they show "Group Moderator" as the sender (why not "Group Owner", I wonder?)
Yes; you're right. A bit weird, certainly, but at least when the message is looked at (as opposed to the topic) its "official status" is clear. I wondered about Group Moderator / Group Owner, but I'm not unduly fussed about it TBH.

I would rather the misleading Display Name associated with the email version was remedied, mainly because AIUI most members post / read by email, not web UI, so they would be unaware that a specific post had been originated by an Owner or Moderator in that specific capacity.

Chris

Andy

Yesterday, Mark wrote:
Hi All,

Messages sent by the +owner address were being emailed with the correct From address. They were not being displayed on the website correctly, however, as you've noticed. I've fixed that.

Mark, are you saying that you also fixed the way emailed messages were sent?  Because the message I sent "from" the +owner address, arrived in my inbox From my own email address - therefore, not with the correct From address.  https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/31867

Did you fix that too, or are you assuming that it worked already?  Because it did not.

But as others here are saying, YMMV.

Andy

I finally retested the Send Message (as owner) and today it's arriving with the correct (owner) "From" address and no display name. I wanted to see how this was going to play out before re-testing. I have no idea whether Mark did anything to fix this too, or whether I'm getting random results somehow. I'll try it again in a couple of days. I know I saw my display name in the email last time I tested.

Marina

Chris Jones:
Yes; you're right. A bit weird, certainly, but at least when the message is looked at (as opposed to the topic) its "official status" is clear. I wondered about Group Moderator / Group Owner, but I'm not unduly fussed about it TBH.
I do appreciate the change Mark implemented (very many thanks, Mark!), but I still think that group members viewing the message archive should be able to tell which topics were started by the group owner and which not, without necessarily open them.

I guess most group members read posts by mail, but why should members using the web interface be denied the same information the others get? I, for one, prefer to manage/read my group via web (thanks for the wonderful web interface, Mark).

At least, for consistency (which applies to Group moderator vs Group owner, too. I agree that it's not that big issue, still...)

Maybe I am just obsessed with consistency because I am a literary translator :-)

Have a nice Sunday everyone,
Marina

Chip Davis <chip@...>

No, Marina.  Consistency is a lofty goal of any well-designed system.  Only a "foolish" consistency is "the hobgoblin of little minds".

-Chip-

On 4/24/2022 6:14 AM, Marina wrote:
Maybe I am just obsessed with consistency because I am a literary translator :-)

Hi All,

New posts from the +owner address will now display correctly in the /topics page.

Also, for emails that are sent out when the +owner address posts, the From line will have the name 'Group Moderator'.

Thank you for this (not-so) simple, but appropriate solution and fix.

Dan Tucker, Groups.io  AFDRetiree’s Group Founder/Owner/Moderator

From: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io>
Date: Monday, April 25, 2022 at 4:05 PM
To: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [beta] Posting a message "from" the group owner address doesn't post as from the group owner address #bug

Hi All,

New posts from the +owner address will now display correctly in the /topics page.

Also, for emails that are sent out when the +owner address posts, the From line will have the name 'Group Moderator'.

Marina

Very many thanks, Mark!

Don't want to risk you sending a hired killer to Italy, so I'm saying this just for the sake of hairsplitting.

The topics page is great, but in Messages view, posts from the group owner still show as sent from his/her personal address.

I've noticed that in the topics page "Group moderator" is not a link, while in other messages the sender's name is linked to his/her profile. Is it because there isn't a specific group owner profile?
I'm not particularly bothered by it, I'm just asking because I'm a bit confused.

Best,
Marina

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 12:57 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
New posts from the +owner address will now display correctly in the /topics page.

Also, for emails that are sent out when the +owner address posts, the From line will have the name 'Group Moderator'.
I feel I must be missing something here. In my test subgroup, using the website:
  • I create a new topic and select the +owner address in the From: drop-down
  • I post a message and in the pending message queue (the subgroup is Moderated) it shows the pending message with my personal email address in the Author column.
  • The pending message email notification I receive as a Mod shows that my personal email address has posted a message that needs to be approved.
  • When the message is approved, the Topics page it shows the message with my name underneath it.
  • When I open the message, it shows my name and profile picture as the sender.
  • The email copy of the message I receive shows my name in the Display Name with the +owner address.
In short, I see no evidence on the website that the +owner address was selected in the From field and I see no reference to 'Group Moderator' anywhere.

Regards
Andy

Chris Jones

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 09:28 AM, Marina wrote:
The topics page is great, but in Messages view, posts from the group owner still show as sent from his/her personal address.
I can almost confirm Marina's observation; Topics view is fine; Messages view shows my personal Display Name. When opened from Messages view the Display Name (correctly!) becomes Group Moderator.

I think Marina is mistaken in saying posts from the group owner still show as sent from his/her personal address; I think she may mean Display Name rather than personal address.

The message as emailed to members still shows my personal Display Name, not group Owner (or Moderator)

Chris

Hi All,

I think I've fixed these issues. Please check it out and let me know what you if you see anything.

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 05:20 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I think I've fixed these issues. Please check it out and let me know what you if you see anything.
The website looks OK now and the test message I sent shows as coming from Group Moderator in all places.  However the pending message notification I received by email still shows my personal email address as the sender of the message awaiting approval.  After approval, the emailed copy of the message has my name as the Display Name with the +owner address.

Regards
Andy

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 9:29 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

The website looks OK now and the test message I sent shows as coming from Group Moderator in all places.  However the pending message notification I received by email still shows my personal email address as the sender of the message awaiting approval.  After approval, the emailed copy of the message has my name as the Display Name with the +owner address.

I've fixed the pending message notification, and was unable to duplicate the problem with the email copy. Can you view the message source and verify that the From header line has your name? (Sometimes mail clients will get confused/use an old alias).

Chris Jones

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 05:39 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Can you view the message source and verify that the From header line has your name?
I have done another couple of tests and ccopy the result below.

Received-SPF: none (sa-prd-rgin-004.btmx-prd.synchronoss.net: domain
 mail02.groups.io does not designate permitted sender hosts) identity=helo;
 receiver=sa-prd-rgin-004.btmx-prd.synchronoss.net; client-ip=66.175.222.108;
 helo=mail02.groups.io;
Received-SPF: pass (sa-prd-rgin-004.btmx-prd.synchronoss.net: domain groups.io
 designates 66.175.222.108 as permitted sender) identity=mailfrom;
 receiver=sa-prd-rgin-004.btmx-prd.synchronoss.net; client-ip=66.175.222.108;
 envelope-from@...;
 helo=mail02.groups.io;
X-RazorGate-Vade: gggruggvucftvghtrhhoucdtuddrgedvfedrudefgddutddtucetufdoteggodetrfdotffvucfrrhhofhhilhgvmecuueftkffvkffujffvgffngfevqffonecuuegrihhlohhuthemuceftddunecunecujfgurhepuffvhfgfggfffhgjkfhpjfdtfehsjehrtgesrgdtrefotderjeenucfhrhhomhepfdevhhhrihhsucflohhnvghsfdcuoehmrghinhdoohifnhgvrhesshhhrghlshhtvghsthdrghhrohhuphhsrdhioheqnecuggftrfgrthhtvghrnhepudeivdejvdeiffeihfekgeegffehgeevfedtiedujeevheffvddvudfhffekveffnecuffhomhgrihhnpehgrhhouhhpshdrihhonecukfhppeeiiedrudejhedrvddvvddruddtkeenucevlhhushhtvghrufhiiigvpedtnecurfgrrhgrmhephhgvlhhopehmrghilhdtvddrghhrohhuphhsrdhiohdpihhnvghtpeeiiedrudejhedrvddvvddruddtkedpmhgrihhlfhhrohhmpegsohhunhgtvgdoledtodefvdelledovdegheeikeekodefiedtudeijeeksehgrhhouhhpshdrihhopdhnsggprhgtphhtthhopedupdhrtghpthhtoheptghhrhhishhjohhnvghsuddvsegsthhinhhtvghrnhgvthdrtghomhdpshhpfhepphgrshhspdgukhhimhepphgrshhs
Subject: Re: [xxxxxtest] Another Test Message
To: main@xxxxxtest.groups.io
From: "Chris Jones" <main+owner@xxxxxtest.groups.io>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:46:18 -0700
Sender: main@xxxxxtest.groups.io
 q=dns/txt; s=20140610; t=1650991578;
 bh=7iyWjh0YyDQY6W0rKels4diCVnBW2Sh2KIwdoocNTk8=;
 h=Content-Type:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To;
 b=kuLfn2jVMjg6j4t94LgCSDa/nH1AUa7twxsfjX5Xuc74kETGQ+5ZOvyYLO4Xc+nG7Ns
 3ap1XswYT1zSoniVQjC5MYjgWfoFBhRQxU4zvxlW62F5WxhCq645WcpUvypRrhwU2Nt1a
 h40g9uUZXriyzywgNUpvzNFKX8wb2mtSJ9k=

and the "From" line was on behalf of; Chris Jones <main+owner@xxxxxtest.groups.io>

I have done some obvious "anonymisation" with email addresses.

Odd, IMHO...

Chris

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 05:39 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've fixed the pending message notification,
Yes, that looks good.

Can you view the message source and verify that the From header line has your name?
The emailed copy of my test message has my name displayed in the From :header:

Regards
Andy

--

Regards
Andy

Hi All,

This is turning out more involved than I thought it would. :-)

I believe that the 'via groups.io' issue has been fixed.

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 09:28 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I believe that the 'via groups.io' issue has been fixed.
Yes, it all looks OK now.

Thanks
Andy

Chris Jones

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 10:23 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
Yes, it all looks OK now.
Indeed it does.

Many thanks Mark. :)

Chris

Andy

I think the problem is still not fixed.

I posted a test message to a group from the web interface, choosing it to be "from" the +owner address.  So I'm talking only about messages posted to a group, not messages sent to individuals.

The online copy of the message looks OK.  It shows just "Group Moderator" as the sender.  View Source shows that plus the +owner email address.

The emailed copy of the message is not OK.  It correctly shows that it is from the +owner address, but it still has my name as the display name.  Actually it shows "Andy owner", followed by the +owner email address, so it's a concatenation of my display name with the word "owner".  My name should not be there, should it?

Andy

Andy

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 11:18 PM, Andy wrote:
...  Actually it shows "Andy owner", followed by the +owner email address, so it's a concatenation of my display name with the word "owner".  ...

Small correction about that.  "Andy owner" was the actual display name of me (the group's owner).  So it displayed my personal display name, not a contatenation of my display name and the word "owner".

But it should not have included my personal or display name at all.  It should have been sent anonymously.

Andy

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 08:31 PM, Andy wrote:
it should not have included my personal or display name at all.  It should have been sent anonymously.
If it's showing your display name, that's exactly what I saw several days ago when I first tested this and replied in this topic. Then I waited to see what would happen, Mark said it was fixed, I tested at that point, and it WAS fixed. Maybe I should test again lol.

Andy

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 11:34 PM, Janet_Catlady wrote:
... Maybe I should test again lol.

Yes, I think so.  My test was today.

But the troubling thing is that it seems to vary from group to group, or perhaps from time to time.

Andy

Ok, I just tested and it's fine. The message comes from [group]+owner.

Andy

I just repeated the same test I did earlier today, and the result has changed.

Earlier today: email message is "from" MY display name with the +owner email address.

Just now: email message is from "Group Moderator" with the +owner email address.

So either Mark's changes were not in place yet after he wrote that they were fixed, or this thing changes from time to time.

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 09:28 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I believe that the 'via groups.io' issue has been fixed.

One other thing I have found is that if you reply to a member's '+Owner Messages' and select the owner as the From address, the email sent to the member does not have 'Group Moderator' as the Display Name, it just has the +owner address. For consistency, I think that should also be shown as 'Group Moderator <+owner email address>'.

Regards
Andy