Topics

locked Post preference, show message history, emoji

ro-esp

4a. Re: [beta] Post preference, show message history, emoji
From: Shal Farley <shal@...>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 23:21:59 PST

Mark,

For Markdown and Plain reply boxes, there's a new Show Message History
button, ...
I really hate that terminology.
So do I. BTW how do I quote in the website, with the ">" that is ?

It seems to cause a lot of user
confusion versus the message thread context surrounding the message and its reply edit box. How about "Insert Quoted Message" - to me that better describes what it does.

that works similarly to how Y! Groups' button works, to insert the
quoted message in the reply box.
Can I have mine shown (inserted) by default? I almost always want to inline quote for context.
exactly

And... I love breaking the rules by not wrapping my plain text message bodies (because that generally works better with other people's email services and with on-line message archives that dynamically word-wrap at the window width); but I don't like that at all for quoted text. So could I have a wrap button that re-wraps paragraphs (blank line separated) and if the paragraph is reply quoted ("> ") inserts the quote marking on each of the wrapped lines. Note, a line with only the quote marking should also be considered a paragraph separator.
I'm not sure what "wrapping" means. Are you talking about "quotefix"? It's meant to automatically keep the maximum-length of the line (I've heard that 80 spaces is the standard), regardless of how many ">"s are added. Using quotefix means the last bit of first line isn't pushed to before the > of the second line, but to after it.

groetjes, Ronaldo

Ronaldo,

BTW how do I quote in the website, with the ">" that is ?
Click Reply, then change the format to Markdown or Plain Text. Or choose one of those two as your default (Edit your Profile).

I'm not sure what "wrapping" means. Are you talking about "quotefix"?
I wasn't trying to be that precise, nor that "smart". I was talking about a "simple" word-wrap, but one that doesn't include the quote marking in the count of characters on this line. The result would be similar to quotefix, but without ever moving a word from line to line, and allowing the line to exceed the "threshold" width by the length of the quote marking.

It's meant to automatically keep the maximum-length of the line (I've
heard that 80 spaces is the standard),
78 characters + CRLF (total of 80) was the original length limit for internet messages ("email"). It is still specified as a SHOULD for plain message bodies. Going backwards in time, 80 characters was also the typical display width of character mode display terminals, Teletype printers, and card punches.

My proposed word-wrap wouldn't conform to that standard under all circumstances. In particular I'd allow the line to get "too long" if the width of the quote marking got "too long" (more than 6 characters). It is my judgement that the simplicity gained is worth the occasional violation, (a violation which has little to no negative impact in modern systems).

-- Shal