Topics

locked POLL: Change Archives to Messages?

Linda

YES please. Thank you, Mark!
Linda

David P. Dillard

One of the definitions of archive (words often have a number of meanings) is:

"a collection of information permanently stored on the Internet"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/archive

Importantly, the word archive gives a sense of messages or records or documents ranging over a period of time. The term messages has less of the concept of a collection of posts in chronological order that represent the sharings of a discussion group.

Message

Digital Technology. a post or reply on an online message board.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/message?s=t

I strongly believe the word archive is a much better fit and indeed a search of Google shows over 17,000 hits for the phrase "discussion group archives.

http://tinyurl.com/pgmbuo6

Furthermore, a collection of all the messages of a group is in fact a collection of documents and a historical archive.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015, Linda Star-Freedman wrote:

YES please. Thank you, Mark!
Linda

Nightowl >8#

Interesting information. And in many ways I agree. :)

However, the people we are trying to bring over here will be completely confused by tje term archive. Add that to the fact that every thing else says message number, message so and so, this message or that one, and well, messages is still the best fit.

Brenda

David,

Importantly, the word archive gives a sense of messages or records or
documents ranging over a period of time. The term messages has less of
the concept of a collection of posts in chronological order that
represent the sharings of a discussion group.
Likewise, I prefer the word Archive because of two implications the word carries: shared and permanent.

But I may be overreacting to a few instances (reported in the Yahoo Groups moderator groups YGOG and GMF) of novice moderators ripping through the Messages, deleting as they read them because they thought that was a kind of personal inbox.

Mark,

Speaking of which maybe, and especially when a user clicks through to a message from "Your Inbox", it may make sense to put a more explicit warning on the Delete function. Perhaps "Are you sure you wish to delete this message from the Message Archives of GROUPNAME? This cannot be undone."

The problem with "Archives" in the Groups.io context is that Files (and future Photos and/or Links) areas are no less Archival in nature than the messages. That's the flip side of others' observation that new members won't expect to find (current) messages there - the word doesn't specify the type of content.

A compromise might be to label them "Messages" in the left column, but "Message Archives" in the breadcrumb bar at the top of the page (where there's more room).

-- Shal

RS

Another possible compromise: Let mods rename their tabs as they see fit.

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 12:40 AM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

Speaking of which maybe, and especially when a user clicks through to a message from "Your Inbox", it may make sense to put a more explicit warning on the Delete function. Perhaps "Are you sure you wish to delete this message from the Message Archives of GROUPNAME? This cannot be undone."

I've changed the Delete message to say this, along with bolding the 'This cannot be undone.' part. The changes will go out shortly.

Mark

I've changed Archives to Messages. Please let me know if you see any issues.

Nightowl >8#

Thank you!!!!!

Brenda

Thank you a million times over!!! I have been busy so did not see the poll but I am so glad that Messages was the decision!!

I've changed Archives to Messages. Please let me know if you see any issues.

In my opinion, novice moderators should be trained in how to use their new tools and quizzed with "what would you do" examples before they are actually given those tools.

Susan B

> Importantly, the word archive gives a sense of messages or records or
> documents ranging over a period of time.  The term messages has less of
> the concept of a collection of posts in chronological order that
> represent the sharings of a discussion group.

Likewise, I prefer the word Archive because of two implications the word carries: shared and permanent.

But I may be overreacting to a few instances (reported in the Yahoo Groups moderator groups YGOG and GMF) of novice moderators ripping through the Messages, deleting as they read them because they thought that was a kind of personal inbox.

Mark,

Speaking of which maybe, and especially when a user clicks through to a message from "Your Inbox", it may make sense to put a more explicit warning on the Delete function. Perhaps "Are you sure you wish to delete this message from the Message Archives of GROUPNAME? This cannot be undone."

The problem with "Archives" in the Groups.io context is that Files (and future Photos and/or Links) areas are no less Archival in nature than the messages. That's the flip side of others' observation that new members won't expect to find (current) messages there - the word doesn't specify the type of content.

A compromise might be to label them "Messages" in the left column, but "Message Archives" in the breadcrumb bar at the top of the page (where there's more room).

-- Shal

Judy F.

I second that Susan.

Judy f.