Pending message remains after member leaves group #suggestion #done

Andy

These are minor nuisances.  I don't know if anything ought to be done about them.  I just find them a little bit odd.

(1)  If a member posts a message requiring approval, but then leaves the group (perhaps by their own doing, but definitely if removed by a Moderator) before the message was approved, the pending message remains in the queue, still waiting to be approved.

I wonder what would happen if that message is approved.  (I did not try.)

(2)  Then, when a Moderator rejects that pending message, the Activity Log shows that the moderator "deleted 's message".  Note that there is a place for the sender's ID, before the apostrophe-s, but it is blank.  I wonder if it could have the sender's ID anyway, even though they are not a group member anymore.  It's not really necessary but it might help refresh our memory about who attempted to send the message.

Andy

Andy

In case anyone cares, I probably need to correct something I wrote:

(1)  If a member posts a message requiring approval, but then leaves the group (perhaps by their own doing, but definitely if removed by a Moderator) before the message was approved, the pending message remains in the queue, still waiting to be approved.
The underlined portion above might not be correct.  Substitute this phrase: "but definitely if the member was Banned by system".

It might also be true if the member was removed (but not Banned) by a Moderator.  There were many related actions in the last couple of days and I might have lost track of which ones did what.  Sorry.

Andy

Duane

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 11:24 PM, Andy wrote:
(1)  If a member posts a message requiring approval, but then leaves the group (perhaps by their own doing, but definitely if removed by a Moderator) before the message was approved, the pending message remains in the queue, still waiting to be approved.

I wonder what would happen if that message is approved.  (I did not try.)
I just had this happen a few days ago when a member posted a moderated message, then left.  After I approved the message, it was posted to the group as normal.  The entry in the log says "approved 's message #1803".  I can click on the message title that follows to go to it and see who posted it if I have a need.

Duane

I agree that leaving pending messages rather than just deleting them when a member leaves or is removed (or even banned) from a group can be useful. You don't wipe out all traces of past members. Pending messages as well as existing messages are part of their legacy, to be disposed of in whatever manner the mod thinks is appropriate in each case.

Andy

It is odd that if a Moderator bans a member, their pending message instantly vanishes (deleted).  But if "system" (Groups.io) bans a member, their pending message remains, waiting for approval.  I've got mixed feelings about that.  Maybe there is no "right" way.

If a new member posts a message and then leaves (perhaps by accident) before it is approved, then you probably would not want that message to vanish before a moderator has a choice what to do with it.  Apparently that is what happens now.

Andy