moderated Paypal support for group sponsorships #update

Hi All,

I just pushed to production support for paying group sponsorships using Paypal. Please let me know if you see anything amiss.

(Adding Paypal support for group hosting fees will require much more work, as those aren't one time only charges. I don't know if/when that will happen).

Ken Schweizer

Can we use it to "sponsor" groups.io or just local groups?

Ken S

"And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." God

I just pushed to production support for paying group sponsorships using Paypal. Please let me know if you see anything amiss.

(Adding Paypal support for group hosting fees will require much more work, as those aren't one time only charges. I don't know if/when that will happen).

Malcolm Austen

This is good news Mark, thanks.

While I would like (love?) to have PayPal accepted throughout I can get by with annually opening up sponsorship for long enough to let the group treasurer put in enough from the group's PayPal account to cover the fees. What we don't (can't sensibly) have is a group credit card.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...>

On 29/01/2021 21:02:17, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

I just pushed to production support for paying group sponsorships using Paypal. Please let me know if you see anything amiss.

(Adding Paypal support for group hosting fees will require much more work, as those aren't one time only charges. I don't know if/when that will happen).

Malcolm Austen

While I don't want to enable this right now, I can't see where I do enable it when the time comes!

I can see $donations but that needs a connection to a Stripe account and I understood the issue was that Stripe did not handle PayPal. Thus I'm looking, but not finding, some other sponsorship option, somewhere ...

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...>

On 29/01/2021 21:02:17, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

I just pushed to production support for paying group sponsorships using Paypal. Please let me know if you see anything amiss.

(Adding Paypal support for group hosting fees will require much more work, as those aren't one time only charges. I don't know if/when that will happen).

Malcolm Austen

Doh! Got it after reading the Fine Manual. I was looking for something in the Premium and Enterprise section. I never occurred to me that a Free group might take sponsorship - guess to enable such a group to save up for premium :-)

Malcolm.

--

On 05/02/2021 14:38:19, Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...> wrote:

While I don't want to enable this right now, I can't see where I do enable it when the time comes!

I can see $donations but that needs a connection to a Stripe account and I understood the issue was that Stripe did not handle PayPal. Thus I'm looking, but not finding, some other sponsorship option, somewhere ...

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...>

On 29/01/2021 21:02:17, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

I just pushed to production support for paying group sponsorships using Paypal. Please let me know if you see anything amiss.

(Adding Paypal support for group hosting fees will require much more work, as those aren't one time only charges. I don't know if/when that will happen).

Samuel Murrayy

It was not clear to me initially that I had to enter an amount at the top of the page before pressing the yellow PayPal button at the bottom of the page.  At first I thought that the button is broken, because I clicked it and nothing happened (I expected a page to come up asking me for my e-mail address and an amount).  So, you have to enter an amount before you press the PayPal button.  Could you (a) add a note to that effect and (b) let the site give the user a useful error message if he uses the button without having entered an amount?