moderated owner "add field" or phone number in profile #suggestion

Brooke Brooks

With the growing demand for texting it would be great to have a texting feature OR an area for a cell number in the Directory.

Perhaps allowing the owner to add fields to the profile would be helpful?

Duane

On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 08:41 AM, Brooke Brooks wrote:
Perhaps allowing the owner to add fields to the profile would be helpful?
For paid groups, there are now "extra member data" fields that can be created by group owners.  These can be set to be visible to other members or not, some in the directory (profile).

Duane

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 02:41 PM, Brooke Brooks wrote:
With the growing demand for texting it would be great to have a texting feature OR an area for a cell number in the Directory.

Perhaps allowing the owner to add fields to the profile would be helpful?
A member can always put their number in the Bio field in their profile if they want. Premium and Enterprise group owners can also add extra member data field via Admin > Settings > Default Sub Settings where you can define an extra field and check the box to say it's displayed as part of the user profile and on the member list. Getting people to update their account to share those details is another thing altogether though!

Regards
Andy

On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 6:41 AM Brooke Brooks <linuxgrl@...> wrote:
With the growing demand for texting it would be great to have a texting feature OR an area for a cell number in the Directory.

Perhaps allowing the owner to add fields to the profile would be helpful?

I've thought about a texting feature before, but I have no clue as to what kind of demand there is for such a thing. It'd have to be a paid feature, because sending the texts would cost us money.

Mark,

I’m thinking (and hoping) that the comment about texting was NOT about texting through, or using Groups.io as the ‘sending entity.’ But, rather, that current profile information would allow and provide for members to get a phone number for a member that could be used to text other members.

I know that I have to maintain a separate spreadsheet of my members just for that reason. Note: I haven’t access or attempted to use the ‘additional member data’ feature yet. Again, but I know I’ve seen a comment within the discussion on this that a provision for member access to that data on other members would be the hinging item.

--

Dan Tucker

4330 E Wickersham Way

Wasilla, AK  99654

(907) 376-2630

(907) 863-1313 Dan cell

From: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io>
Date: Friday, October 7, 2022 at 12:20 PM
To: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [beta] owner "add field" or phone number in profile #suggestion

On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 6:41 AM Brooke Brooks <linuxgrl@...> wrote:

With the growing demand for texting it would be great to have a texting feature OR an area for a cell number in the Directory.

Perhaps allowing the owner to add fields to the profile would be helpful?

I've thought about a texting feature before, but I have no clue as to what kind of demand there is for such a thing. It'd have to be a paid feature, because sending the texts would cost us money.

Brooke Brooks

Just added a cell phone field to the Profile data. Looks great! Now I just need to get everyone to update their profiles...I feel a campaign coming on :P

Thanks again for the reminder about the Aug addition of the "extra fields" SO SO HELPFUL

Brooke
moderating two school groups (1700+ members)

A small neighborhood group I run is a basic group, so no extra fields. But we use a wiki page for a “block directory by address.” Most people include their phone numbers there (as well as kids’ and pet names and whatever else they want). People can also include info like that in their profiles, if no extra fields are available because it’s a basic group.

On Oct 7, 2022, at 5:42 PM, Brooke Brooks <linuxgrl@...> wrote:

Just added a cell phone field to the Profile data. Looks great! Now I just need to get everyone to update their profiles...I feel a campaign coming on :P

Thanks again for the reminder about the Aug addition of the "extra fields" SO SO HELPFUL

Brooke
moderating two school groups (1700+ members)

Brooke Brooks

so existing members can't seem to find this extra field to enter their cell number...I was able to but I'm a moderator.

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 01:24 AM, Brooke Brooks wrote:
so existing members can't seem to find this extra field to enter their cell number...I was able to but I'm a moderator.
It seems that is a bug. According to #33031, members should be able to see the extra fields either in their profile or their subscription page depending upon what options are set but neither seems to work.

Regards
Andy

Duane

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 04:21 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
members should be able to see the extra fields either in their profile or their subscription page depending upon what options are set but neither seems to work.
It worked for me as long as I set the field to "Viewable In A Member's Profile".  As a member, I could change it through the Directory (click on display name, Edit Group Profile) or Subscription > Group Profile > Edit Group Profile.

Duane

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 12:59 PM, Duane wrote:
As a member, I could change it through the Directory (click on display name, Edit Group Profile) or Subscription > Group Profile > Edit Group Profile.
Hmm. But the fields are not visible if you edit the group profile via your Account > Identity.

Regards
Andy

Andy I

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 12:04 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
Hmm. But the fields are not visible if you edit the group profile via your Account > Identity.

I have not followed this carefully.  But I think the above makes sense.

Directory, or Subscription > Group Profile are settings unique to that group.

Account > Identity is not associated with any group.  So it should not have any data pertaining to any group's member data or your group profile.

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 05:21 PM, Andy I wrote:
Directory, or Subscription > Group Profile are settings unique to that group.
Correct.

Account > Identity is not associated with any group.  So it should not have any data pertaining to any group's member data or your group profile.
Your overall account profile will not have any extra member data associated with any group you are in but you can also access each group profile via the Account > Identity page and if you access a group profile that way, the extra data is not shown - which would seem to be a bug.

Regards
Andy

Andy I

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 01:06 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
Your overall account profile will not have any extra member data associated with any group you are in but you can also access each group profile via the Account > Identity page ...

I did not know you could do that.  Cool.

Andy

Duane

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 12:06 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
you can also access each group profile via the Account > Identity page and if you access a group profile that way, the extra data is not shown - which would seem to be a bug.
Sure 'nuf...  Otherwise it looks like the same page as going through the Subscription or Directory.  Probably a bit not set/reset.

Duane

Brooke,

On Sun, Oct 9, 2022 at 5:24 PM Brooke Brooks <linuxgrl@...> wrote:
so existing members can't seem to find this extra field to enter their cell number...I was able to but I'm a moderator.
_._,_._,_
I'm not able to reproduce the bug, but this stuff is complicated. If the `Viewable in a member's profile` checkbox is checked for a field, it will show up in their group profile. You can get there by going to the Subscription tab, then clicking the Group Profile button. If that checkbox is not checked, then the field will just appear in the Subscription page.

Please let me know if that's not what you're seeing, or if you have suggestions for improvements.

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 09:30 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
If the `Viewable in a member's profile` checkbox is checked for a field, it will show up in their group profile. You can get there by going to the Subscription tab, then clicking the Group Profile button. If that checkbox is not checked, then the field will just appear in the Subscription page.

Please let me know if that's not what you're seeing, or if you have suggestions for improvements.
My point in #33552 was that there are two ways for a member to view their Group Profile. One is via the Subscription page and the Group Profile button, the other is via the Account > Identity page (which is the method given in the member's manual). The first method shows the additional data on the profile page and second method does not.  I think the profile page should display the same information regardless of how you get there.

Regards
Andy

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 09:30 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
if you have suggestions for improvements.
I have defined a date and a number field as extra member data. Both appear as left justified under the column headings on the member list which feels wrong. The normal 'Applied' date on that list is right justified so there is a slight inconsistency there. If number based fields are right justified and text based fields left justified, it would give a more familiar feel and resemble a speadsheet such as Excel.

Being able to sort the extra member data fields would be nice.

The extra member data is not cleared when the Group profile is reset, which makes sense as the extra fields don't apply to the overall account profile so there is no corresponding field they can be refreshed from.. I think a clarification in the manual for that would be helpful.

Regards
Andy

Brooke Brooks

You can also access and edit the profile information via the Directory

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Oct 11, 2022 at 04:46 PM, Brooke Brooks wrote:
You can also access and edit the profile information via the Directory
So I see. I must say I don't recall the option to edit a Group Profile being there before and only the 'Report This Profile' button is mentioned in the member's manual.  The extra member data is shown if you view a group profile this way though.

Regards
Andy