"Override: not moderated" does not work when using moderated hashtags #bug

Marina

My restricted group is set to "Messages that start new topics are moderated".
I have set all my moderators' posting priviliges to "Override: not moderated" (in the Members' List their accounts are shown with a P = Posting alway allowed).
We have a set of mandatory hashtags, two of which (for off-topics and job offers) are moderated.

Now, if my moderators or I start a new topic, according to our posting privilege, our message is not moderated and we can freely post.
However, if we send a message with one of the moderated hashtags, our message is moderated/treated as pending message and we have to approve it.

So, apparently, Posting is not always allowed and the "Override: Not moderated" privilege does not override moderated hashtags.

Thank you for your help.
Marina

Marina,

So, apparently, Posting *is not* always allowed and the "Override: Not
moderated" privilege does not override moderated hashtags.
Correct.

That is by design: the member Posting Privilege Overrides override only the group's Moderation setting, not any of the other things which may cause a message to be moderated. This is suggested by the fact that the only non-Override is "Use Group Moderation Setting". Perhaps this needs to be said more explicitly with an explanatory text under the control.

So what you have is more of a #suggestion to change the meaning of this control, or to create additional controls for overriding other causes of moderation.

Shal

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 10:47 AM, Shal Farley wrote:

That is by design: the member Posting Privilege Overrides override only the group's Moderation setting, not any of the other things which may cause a message to be moderated.
Shal,

That's not correct. It overrides moderated threads. This was a requested (by me) and implemented change long ago. And it should also therefore override threads moderated via hashtag.

Marina

Shal Farley:
So what you have is more of a #suggestion to change the meaning of this
control, or to create additional controls for overriding other causes of
moderation.

I apologize for the wrong tag, I couldn't, and still can't, see any reason for the present restricted behaviour so I thought it was a bug.
I agree with Catlady that the override should do its work and include even threads moderated via hashtag.

I don't remember if I chose myself this posting privilege, but I think it should be the default setting for group owners to give them total control over the group.

I hope that Mark will consider this suggestion.
Have a nice week everybody,
Marina

Marina,

I don’t think that P should be the default setting fir group owners.

But what you noticed is indeed a bug. You can even find this in the Help description of this setting.

Shal Farley:

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 9:51 AM Marina <moderatore@...> wrote:
My restricted group is set to "Messages that start new topics are moderated".
I have set all my moderators' posting priviliges to "Override: not moderated" (in the Members' List their accounts are shown with a P = Posting alway allowed).
We have a set of mandatory hashtags, two of which (for off-topics and job offers) are moderated.

Now, if my moderators or I start a new topic, according to our posting privilege, our message is not moderated and we can freely post.
However, if we send a message with one of the moderated hashtags, our message is moderated/treated as pending message and we have to approve it.

So, apparently, Posting is not always allowed and the "Override: Not moderated" privilege does not override moderated hashtags.

This should be fixed now.

Marina

Just checked it on my group. It works!
Many many thanks, Mark.