moderated "Or" the available Actions options on a filtered Member List #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- Since the new member list filter "ands" the selected checkboxes, it seems appropriate the the resulting Actions menu should "or" the corresponding functions.

I bring this up in response to an inquiry in GMF as to why someone can select Bouncing and a second (or third) box in the member list filter and subsequently find themselves unable to select Send Bounce Probe for the filtered list. https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/38144

Regards,
Bruce

Andy Wedge

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 04:17 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Since the new member list filter "ands" the selected checkboxes, it seems appropriate the the resulting Actions menu should "or" the corresponding functions.

I bring this up in response to an inquiry in GMF as to why someone can select Bouncing and a second (or third) box in the member list filter and subsequently find themselves unable to select Send Bounce Probe for the filtered list. https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/38144
Rather than 'OR' the selections, would it be simpler to show the 'Send Bounce Probe' option on the the Actions button if the Bouncing filter has been selected?  "OR"ing the filter selections would mean that the resulting list could contain bouncing and non-bouncing members so showing a 'Send Bounce Probe' option in those cases wouldn't make sense.

Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 04:46 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
Rather than 'OR' the selections, would it be simpler to show the 'Send Bounce Probe' option on the the Actions button if the Bouncing filter has been selected?  "OR"ing the filter selections would mean that the resulting list could contain bouncing and non-bouncing members so showing a 'Send Bounce Probe' option in those cases wouldn't make sense.
Perhaps I wasn't clear.

I'm suggesting that we "and" the filter selections and "or" the options that appear in the Actions menu.

At this time it appears both are "and'ed."

Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 11:17 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Since the new member list filter "ands" the selected checkboxes, it seems appropriate the the resulting Actions menu should "or" the corresponding functions.
Mark -- My assumption as to how the filter works doesn't appear to hold water.

I selected the NC and Bouncing checkboxes in order to see if I would subsequently get a list of members who were both Bouncing and NC (likely an empty set). The intent was to discover whether the Actions menu would contain both "Send Bounce Probe" and "Send Confirmation Email."

Instead, the filter seemed to "or" the selections (I got back a union, not an intersection). Other selections in the filter provide an intersection and not a union.

Pending more detailed understanding of how the filter works I am withdrawing my suggestion.

Regards,
Bruce

Andy Wedge

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 02:02 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Instead, the filter seemed to "or" the selections (I got back a union, not an intersection). Other selections in the filter provide an intersection and not a union.
After a bit more playing around, it seems that related settings are grouped. Filter selections within a group are 'OR'ed and the different groups are 'AND'ed.  If there was some kind of dividing line between the groups it would make it clearer.

Andy

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 06:02 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
the filter seemed to "or" the selections
That is how it should behave and how you would expect it to behave.  If there are bunch of checkboxes for filtering, even on a shopping website, you would always expect to get both choices. Not choices with both criteria. If I'm shopping online for pants and I check both "linen"and "cotton," it means I want to see linen pants and cotton pants. Not pants that are both linen and cotton.

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 09:51 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
That is how it should behave and how you would expect it to behave.  If there are bunch of checkboxes for filtering, even on a shopping website, you would always expect to get both choices. Not choices with both criteria.
If it actually did that, I might agree with you. But it doesn't...at least not consistently.

Regards,
Bruce

Oh. I’ve never tried it. Just took your word for it. 😊

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 6:50 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

After a bit more playing around, it seems that related settings are grouped. Filter selections within a group are 'OR'ed and the different groups are 'AND'ed.  If there was some kind of dividing line between the groups it would make it clearer.

Here is a mockup that groups the fields together into sections. Within each section, we 'OR' the fields. Between sections, we 'AND' them. Does this make sense? It's designed around how the underlying database is structured.

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 4.55.10 PM.png

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 07:58 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Here is a mockup that groups the fields together into sections. Within each section, we 'OR' the fields. Between sections, we 'AND' them. Does this make sense?
Mark -- Yes, it does make sense, and the horizontal rules in the mock-up represent a substantial improvement.

How does this interact (if it does at all) with the choices that subsequently appear in the Actions menu for the filtered list? That was the basis for my original #suggestion.

Thanks,
Bruce

Andy Wedge

On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 12:58 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 6:50 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

After a bit more playing around, it seems that related settings are grouped. Filter selections within a group are 'OR'ed and the different groups are 'AND'ed.  If there was some kind of dividing line between the groups it would make it clearer.

Here is a mockup that groups the fields together into sections. Within each section, we 'OR' the fields. Between sections, we 'AND' them. Does this make sense? It's designed around how the underlying database is structured.
That's much clearer - thanks.

Andy