Topics

moderated One User Account – Multiple Email Addresses #suggestion #featurerequest

beta@...

It would really be nice if you could have one account but have an email address for each group you are subscribed to.    For example, have a user account as user@...  but for groups have something like cats@... and dogs@....

I am coming from Yahoo groups where I was able to do this and it was not only very convenient for administering my groups but it made reading the posts much easier since all the posts from one group were in one place and not mixed in with posts from other groups.

I know I can make up an account for each group and I have done that but it is rather cumbersome.

A search of the archives finds this has been mentioned before and there was a hint that there was a long range plan to accomplish this, but that was almost two years ago (1Mar16)  so perhaps a “bump” would be not be out of place.  I would have just added my post to the older one rather than start a new thread, but it appears to be locked.

Tony Moody

I have filters set in my emailer (Pegasus) to send post to folders for each each group.
So email from   @beta.groups.io goes into the GrioBeta folder  etc.

OK,
Tony

On 12 Feb 2018 at 6:43, beta@... wrote about :
Subject : [beta] One User Account – Multip

[...]

Lars KelloggStedman

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:10 AM, beta@... wrote:

It would really be nice if you could have one account but have an email address for each group you are subscribed to...

I'd like to request the same feature, but for a different use case.

I have two email addresses that I use regularly; one for technical lists, and one for family/personal lists. One of the groups I'm on just migrated over to groups.io, and I wanted to log in and manage my subscription...only to find that I *can't*, because the email address I'm using on that group is not the one that matches my groups.io account.  This means I'm going to need to create a *second* groups.io account, which causes all sorts of problems:

- For any given group I'll need to remember which address I'm using
- I can't stay logged into both accounts all the time without setting up multiple browser profiles (or using multiple browsers, etc)

I'm not sure why it's not already possible to register multiple addresses for an account, but if there is some concern over that idea, then at least pursuing a Google-like ability to be logged into multiple accounts would be a decent second option.