moderated Now begging: add log entry for updating member signature #suggestion

In our group, the auto-signature carries the cat's medical history and basic info - age, weight, diagnosis, all meds with dosages, etc. We ask members to keep theirs up to date, in particular regarding meds given. When a member, or I as a moderator, update this, there is absolutely no clue anywhere that it has happened. Sometimes, member screw their signatures up monumentally and they have to be edited. Sometimes, I or a mod change a signature and there's no clue to the rest of us (or even our own memories) that this has been done. I've asked before, but is there any way editing signatures could be logged somewhere? If too granular (which I suspect), possibly just changes to the member page could be logged?
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 9:58 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
In our group, the auto-signature carries the cat's medical history and basic info - age, weight, diagnosis, all meds with dosages, etc. We ask members to keep theirs up to date, in particular regarding meds given. When a member, or I as a moderator, update this, there is absolutely no clue anywhere that it has happened. Sometimes, member screw their signatures up monumentally and they have to be edited. Sometimes, I or a mod change a signature and there's no clue to the rest of us (or even our own memories) that this has been done. I've asked before, but is there any way editing signatures could be logged somewhere? If too granular (which I suspect), possibly just changes to the member page could be logged?

I've added new `Changed signature` and `Moderator changed signature` activity log entries. I've also added a `Changed notifications` entry to match the existing `Moderator changed notifications` entry. I believe this means that every change in the Subscription and Member pages is now logged.

Cheers,
Mark 

Mark,
Yay! Thank you so much!
--
J

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Mark,

I just looked for these in the log dropdowns, and without having your message handy, I was searching (fruitlessly) for "edited signature." So I might change the wording to "Signature edited by member" and "Signature edited by moderator," thereby (1) using the term "editied" instead of "changed" and "(2) putting both kinds of signature edits (by member, by moderator) next to each other in the dropdown. No biggie, just a thought to make it more intuitive.
--
J

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 08:47 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I just looked for these in the log dropdowns, and without having your message handy, I was searching (fruitlessly) for "edited signature." So I might change the wording to "Signature edited by member" and "Signature edited by moderator," thereby (1) using the term "editied" instead of "changed" and "(2) putting both kinds of signature edits (by member, by moderator) next to each other in the dropdown. No biggie, just a thought to make it more intuitive.
There are two places I can see where moderator changes are referenced in the actions drop-down, the 'Moderator changed...' group where the new entry about signatures has been added and also 'Changed email delivery method (by Moderator)'.  If the latter was changed to 'Moderator changed email delivery method' then they would all be together.

Regards
Andy

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 02:54 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
There are two places I can see where moderator changes are referenced
The problem is that editing the signature is not strictly a moderator action. The member can do it themselves as well. So if you're looking for changes to the signature, with these changes - member and mod edits, respectively - not listed contiguously, you have to look in two completely different places alphabetically.

--
J

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:05 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
you have to look in two completely different places alphabetically.
I seem to recall a previous suggestion that the 'moderator changed' actions are listed in a separate group at the bottom of the list. That way, they would all be together and easier to find.

Regards
Andy 

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:12 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
they would all be together and easier to find.
I think signature edits are in a different category. Often I am looking specifically for signature edits, not for "moderator changed" actions as a whole. With most "moderator changed" actions, only the moderator can make the changes. I think we've both made ourselves clear so I am done.

--
J

Just saw the first log entry this morning and it was *extremely* helpful. I don't really care where it shows up in the dropdown. I would actually probably hardly ever search for it. I mainly just want to see it in the activity log.

Thanks.
--
J

"Changed email delivery method (by moderator)" is not worded or grouped with all the other "Moderator changed" items in the search options. If this is supposed to be consistent (or if people expect it to be consistent), it's not. Maybe rephrase and move that one...

I also noticed that there's no activity entry for when a moderator edits a topic title. (That's how I stumbled on the above.)
--
J

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 05:01 PM, Janet_Catlady wrote:
"Changed email delivery method (by moderator)" is not worded or grouped with all the other "Moderator changed" items in the search options.
As I mentioned in #31487

Regards
Andy

On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 02:58 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
As I mentioned
Fabulous! We agree.

--
J

On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 9:01 AM Janet_Catlady <JanetOliviaCatlady@...> wrote:
"Changed email delivery method (by moderator)" is not worded or grouped with all the other "Moderator changed" items in the search options. If this is supposed to be consistent (or if people expect it to be consistent), it's not. Maybe rephrase and move that one...

I've changed itto `Moderator changed email delivery method`.

I also noticed that there's no activity entry for when a moderator edits a topic title. (That's how I stumbled on the above.)

I've added a new `Changed topic's subject` activity log entry.

Thanks,
Mark