Topics

moderated Notify Members checkboxes #update

Mark,

Should the photo notification setting be separate from the album
notification setting? My gut says no, but want to make sure.
I'll go with your gut. Also for File folders.

Also, I forgot database notifications, which don't exist anywhere
right now. Would you want to know when a row was added, or just when a
database was created?
I concur with others' comments: both row and table.

My thinking with aggregation is that when an email notification is
generated, I'll wait N minutes to send it out to see if any
additional, similar email notifications are generated. If so, I'll
combine them.
I still have concerns about timeliness, but maybe it isn't such a big deal that I should worry about first-one-out delay.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/25395

But it suddenly occurs to me that moderator notices (such as member/message approval) should not be aggregated, under any scheme.

And since every exception deserves an exception perhaps retain the one for Direct Add: only one notice need be generated (to the other moderators), not a "member joined" per address.

Or maybe "member joined" generally. Acceptance of an invitations if a mod sent out hundreds, or other mass-marketing of the group, could cause a flood. None of the rest seem like they should plausibly need aggregation.

Shal

Chris,

Two reasons; I don't want anything I do to tidy up (say) Photos to
generate a blizzard of notifications (even to just one member), ...
The blizzard effect is something that needs a better solution than not notifying. Maybe that's aggregating notices, maybe something else we haven't thought of yet.

and I don't want to have to fend off the "why did you edit, move,
delete, whatever such and such" messages that are likely to accrue as
a result of a rationalisation process.
For edit I'd say the member deserves to know (and you likely deserve to fend off such questions). Maybe move too (if not notified the member might look and not find his/her content, and believe that it was deleted). I'm more willing to concede on delete: as J points out that's already a fact with messages.

Shal

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 08:24 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Would you want to know when a row was added,
A row added notification would be helpful for me. And if my suggestion on limiting table sizes in https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/25278 is implemented, one to say when a table is full too!

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 05:31 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
Not quite. My point is that a moderator should have the option of not even originating a notification, whatever the member might select. cf now; if I upload a photo I can choose to send a notification or not; I want and need (as a moderator) the ability to edit an archive without notifications being generated.

As a general rule (and this is matter of personal choice) I will announce a tidy - up before it happens, and may later identify what has been rationalised as a result, but without specifying what I may have deleted / moved / edited in the process.
OK. That makes sense and I would typically follow the process you outlined too.

Andy

sorry to nickel and dime this, but also, row updated

Row added.

On Jun 22, 2020, at 12:24 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 8:27 AM Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

I'd generally say no, except add/modify photo album.

[...]

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 11:57 AM billsf9c via groups.io <OOWONBS=Netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:

Rather than see Likes, etc, a month of data was given to include a bar hraph, about the posts. What posts drew 73% of the members viewership, 42, 18, whatever... was a main aspect.

I don't anticipate adding something like this, as it'd require tracking pixels on the emails we send out. Which I'm not a fan of.

Mark

billsf9c

> I think also when I'm adding these new per-moderator notifications, I will add 2 per-subscriber notifications: notifications when someone likes a message, and notifications when someone posts to a chat their subscribed to, but not currently viewing.
Mark

This and now and then, I remember an eGroups function, called, 'Traffic.'

Rather than see Likes, etc, a month of data was given to include a bar hraph, about the posts. What posts drew 73% of the members viewership, 42, 18, whatever... was a main aspect. Which pisters derw what Reply-count or caused a Topus repky count if repkies were to their original or not. Mods can use this to really see what trends are of more interest, (who to make a mod,) and divide their research/work/support, proportionately, to drive list quality and audience appreciation.

Like databases, which I liked, (and for which I developed tricks to extend the 10 column limits etc,) few owners made use of it, so it was dropped. But I even sometimes pointed out to membership what seemed popular. They seemed to make use of it to join in or support their 'causes' more ardantly.

I'd hope you wouldn't develope it and give it only to Enterprises, but truely, no Enterprise should be without it.

BillSF9c

Agree with Chris.

On Jun 22, 2020, at 9:31 AM, Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 05:15 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
if I understand correctly, you are suggesting that a Moderator can control whether a member can opt to receive notifications for things like photo edit/move/delete actions?
Not quite. My point is that a moderator should have the option of not even originating a notification, whatever the member might select. cf now; if I upload a photo I can choose to send a notification or not; I want and need (as a moderator) the ability to edit an archive without notifications being generated.

As a general rule (and this is matter of personal choice) I will announce a tidy - up before it happens, and may later identify what has been rationalised as a result, but without specifying what I may have deleted / moved / edited in the process.

Chris

Chris Jones

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 05:15 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
if I understand correctly, you are suggesting that a Moderator can control whether a member can opt to receive notifications for things like photo edit/move/delete actions?
Not quite. My point is that a moderator should have the option of not even originating a notification, whatever the member might select. cf now; if I upload a photo I can choose to send a notification or not; I want and need (as a moderator) the ability to edit an archive without notifications being generated.

As a general rule (and this is matter of personal choice) I will announce a tidy - up before it happens, and may later identify what has been rationalised as a result, but without specifying what I may have deleted / moved / edited in the process.

Chris

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 05:05 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
Only if that notification is optional on my part as a moderator.
Chris,

if I understand correctly, you are suggesting that a Moderator can control whether a member can opt to receive notifications for things like photo edit/move/delete actions?  That would work for me.

Regards,
Andy

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 09:05 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
<slight shudder>
Totally agree with the shudder factor. I would object strongly to members being notified of any deletion of their content. That's up to moderators. Notifying them of edits to their messages is one thing; deletions is another thing altogether.  I somehow missed this and I think adding it would be a HUGE mistake.

Chris Jones

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 04:27 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
And as mentioned before, for those that don't post I'd like the member whose content is affected (including deletes) to receive an off-list notice.
<slight shudder>

Only if that notification is optional on my part as a moderator.

Two reasons; I don't want anything I do to tidy up (say) Photos to generate a blizzard of notifications (even to just one member), and I don't want to have to fend off the "why did you edit, move, delete, whatever such and such" messages that are likely to accrue as a result of a rationalisation process.

With Files and Photos counting towards a group's storage allowance then judgement over what to keep and what to discard has to rest with group moderators and territorial disputes over what material is retained and what isn't must not be encouraged, and sending members detailed notifications about what has happened to their material is, IMHO, just inviting those disputes to happen.

Chris

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 08:27 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
This one probably needs two options: notify me of any like, and notify me of a like on my content.
Good idea.

Mark,

2) Should those actions be included in the new per-moderator
notifications?
Definitely yes.

1) Should I add those as notifications that group members can send
when performing those actions, with `Notify Members` checkboxes?
I'd generally say no, except add/modify photo album. And as mentioned before, for those that don't post I'd like the member whose content is affected (including deletes) to receive an off-list notice.

... I will add 2 per-subscriber notifications: notifications when
someone likes a message,
This one probably needs two options: notify me of any like, and notify me of a like on my content.

Given that Likes are intended as light-weight alternatives to "me too" postings, we can expect (hope?) that there would be a lot of them. This one is probably the poster child for aggregating notices.

and notifications when someone posts to a chat their subscribed to,
but not currently viewing.
That's a good idea you have they're.

Shal

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 07:03 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
would that be "all" likes or just those applicable to the individual member whose post has been "liked"? Either way IMHO it would have to be a notification that the individual members could switch off should they so wish as per my previous post.
I'm assuming just the individual member and that it would be an option that could be switched off.

Chris Jones

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 02:55 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I like notifications for Likes.
I certainly don't object, but would that be "all" likes or just those applicable to the individual member whose post has been "liked"? Either way IMHO it would have to be a notification that the individual members could switch off should they so wish as per my previous post.

I see no reason to allow members to notify the group for content deletions, but I do think those should go to moderators.
Agreed.

Chris

I like notifications for Likes. I see no reason to allow members to notify the group for content deletions, but I do think those should go to moderators.

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 06:41 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
A further thought about Polls; a Poll is a message with a specific question included, and as such is not a notification in the same way as an upload is. I would not want members to be able to suppress awareness of a  Poll by any means whatsoever. Choosing not to respond to a Poll is one thing; choosing not to know about it is another thing entirely. IMHO #poll-notice should not be a notification.
We do need to keep a clear view regarding which of the existing system hashtags are intrinsic to the effective operation of groups.io. We've already mentioned #cal-reminder and #cal-notice in that context, and I agree with Chris that #poll-notice (and possibly #chat-notice) are in the same category.

That said, members should continue to be allowed to mute these hashtags if they so desire.

Regards,
Bruce