moderated Notify member when their message is automatically deleted due to hashtag duration #suggestion


Tom Vail
 

When a message is automatically deleted due to hashtag duration, send the member a notice that it has been deleted, or better yet, will be deleted in 2 days.

The member would have no way of knowing their message was deleted if the duration has expired, especially if duration is changed my the moderator.

Also, if there are 2 hashtags with different durations, it seem from a data integrity point of view that the longest duration should determine the deletion point.

Thanks for your consideration.

Tom


 

I disagree. The greater restriction (shorter duration) should take precedence, logically. 


On Oct 15, 2021, at 11:03 PM, Tom Vail <tom@...> wrote:

When a message is automatically deleted due to hashtag duration, send the member a notice that it has been deleted, or better yet, will be deleted in 2 days.

The member would have no way of knowing their message was deleted if the duration has expired, especially if duration is changed my the moderator.

Also, if there are 2 hashtags with different durations, it seem from a data integrity point of view that the longest duration should determine the deletion point.

Thanks for your consideration.

Tom

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

Also, topics are hashtagged and deleted. Not messages.


On Oct 15, 2021, at 11:57 PM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I disagree. The greater restriction (shorter duration) should take precedence, logically. 


On Oct 15, 2021, at 11:03 PM, Tom Vail <tom@...> wrote:

When a message is automatically deleted due to hashtag duration, send the member a notice that it has been deleted, or better yet, will be deleted in 2 days.

The member would have no way of knowing their message was deleted if the duration has expired, especially if duration is changed my the moderator.

Also, if there are 2 hashtags with different durations, it seem from a data integrity point of view that the longest duration should determine the deletion point.

Thanks for your consideration.

Tom

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Andy Wedge
 

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 07:03 AM, Tom Vail wrote:
When a message is automatically deleted due to hashtag duration, send the member a notice that it has been deleted, or better yet, will be deleted in 2 days.
If a message is deleted then it cannot be recovered so I'm wondering what benefit there is in telling the member after the event. Also, as J pointed out, topics can be deleted based upon hashtag duration and many people can contribute to a topic so are you suggesting that they all get a notification?  What am I missing because I'm struggling to see any benefit from this?

Andy


 

It might depend on the application. Like maybe it’s a “for sale” notice?


On Oct 17, 2021, at 8:40 AM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 07:03 AM, Tom Vail wrote:
When a message is automatically deleted due to hashtag duration, send the member a notice that it has been deleted, or better yet, will be deleted in 2 days.
If a message is deleted then it cannot be recovered so I'm wondering what benefit there is in telling the member after the event. Also, as J pointed out, topics can be deleted based upon hashtag duration and many people can contribute to a topic so are you suggesting that they all get a notification?  What am I missing because I'm struggling to see any benefit from this?

Andy

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Tom Vail
 

That may be logical to you, but no to me.  As an IT professional, the longer retention date would always take precedence.  Deleting data before that can cause issues, but then we are not guarding Fort Knox.


Tom Vail
 

If you post something in a topic which you think is out there for whomever to see, and it is deleted due to duration, then it seems logical (to me) that you would remind them it was/will be deleted.  Not a big deal if the duration is 2 days, but a year out would make a difference.  As J said, it depends on the application so maybe it is an option in the Hashtag set up to "Remind before deleting."

Tom


 

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 05:05 PM, Tom Vail wrote:
That may be logical to you, but no to me.  As an IT professional, the longer retention date would always take precedence
I don't know what being an IT professional has to do with this. I myself did software for 15+ years. This is simple logic. Using your argument, a hashtag with no duration (i.e., no restriction) would take precedence over a hashtag with a finite duration, thus nullifying the entire feature.

If you want to get all technical about it, I'd say hashtag restrictions should be treated as "and"'s,  not "or"s.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 05:11 PM, Tom Vail wrote:
"Remind before deleting."
But it makes sense to me to notify only the originator of the topic. That's not a matter of logic, just of minimizing annoyance to everyone else.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu