Topics

locked Notice of Pricing Change

Maria,
If you think about it, everyone is going to have a slightly or largely different take on this. I don’t think anyone can expect another group owner to feel the same as they do, no matter what great reasons are put forth. All their circumstances are unique. What’s easy for one is very difficult for someone else. What may be true for one group may be very wrong for another. I may very much agree with many of your points. But on the other hand, others just may not see it that way and I don’t believe they are intending to shift the burden, I think they are trying very hard to cope with many things that are unexpected.

Susan B

On Oct 22, 2019, at 11:00 PM, Maria via Groups.Io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 09:49 PM, Janis wrote:
It is wonderful to have my groups free of ads now.
Isn't it?
You know what's also wonderful? To have:

- No farming of our data
- No submission of our data to ad tracking networks
- Barely any downtime in the past 3 years our group has been here
- Things actually work - unlike back when we too were on Y!groups
- frequent updates and improvements
- more features than Y!groups ever dreamed of

You have all heard the saying - if it's free, you are the product?
I think that's mostly true when it comes to other group platforms. They are either marketing your data or ad based.  That's their business model.
But not the one here.

And furthermore, even when it comes to that saying, Groups.io is an exception and reflects the integrity that drives it: they could exploit the groups that are hosted for free - but they don't.
Think about that.
Then think about how candid and straight forward it was to simply say that pricing for transfers needed to be adjusted to reflect a need to strengthen infrastructure and deal with this huge sudden influx.

So, seriously, for those with groups who are not helping them reach the financial goal to deal with the very reasonable transfer fee, please don't shift the burden of that problem on the service that is offering you a solution. It's not cool. I understand the frustration and I feel bad for all those who didn't read all the signs years ago that Y! was sunsetting it's service, but please figure it out, or ask for help on how to figure it out. It will be the best investment in your groups.

This platform is so worth it.

Maria

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 08:13 PM, Susan B wrote:
don’t believe they are intending to shift the burden
But that's what they are doing.

AG1P Ron

I appreciate the difficult situation Mark is in.  I know first-hand what it means when your usage exceeds contract bands of service.  I used to work for an outsourcer before burnout set in.

The rub comes when you have small groups of maybe a hundred or fewer people that are doing good things for humanity - like sharing info on rare childhood diseases or cancer types where the data will be lost if not moved. I am webmaster for a group that fortunately can afford the higher costs but it wasn’t that long ago we were struggling to survive. I know Mark is swamped but maybe come up with a set of qualifications for free or low cost services for those groups whose content would cause detriment to those who really don’t need any more chaos or unknowns in their life. Not many of us have a conscience permitting us to let a child die because they weren’t able to get shared experience data that might save their child’s life. Just charge extra to those who can afford to pay more and ask for donations to cover costs similar to what many local power companies do for emergency assistance.  We are on fixed income but  still donate a few bucks every month in hope that someone or some people keep their power going.

Ron

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 08:13 PM, Susan B wrote:

don’t believe they are intending to shift the burden

But that's what they are doing.

J. Olivia,
That is in your opinion of course. Seems to me that many are struggling to cope with two chaotic events at the same time and are feeling pretty beat up and desperate.

Susan B

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 09:25 PM, Susan B wrote:
That is in your opinion of course.
As it says in my signature: sole opinion of the author. That said, I've seen people here whine and yell (with caps and exclamation marks) that "all our files are going to be lost!" in the same breath in which they blame Mark for charging them money to save it.

It is not Mark's fault that "all their files are going to be lost." That's a combination of yahoo and their own intransigence in ignoring the signs of yahoo's demise. And if you want to give these folks the benefit of the doubt, you can say it's entirely yahoo's fault. But still: not Mark's. Not at all. And they (or some of them) blame him.

That part is not a matter of opinion.

J. Olivia
A to Z I don’t agree with your views at all.

Sorry.
Susan B

On Oct 23, 2019, at 12:32 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 09:25 PM, Susan B wrote:
That is in your opinion of course.
As it says in my signature: sole opinion of the author. That said, I've seen people here whine and yell (with caps and exclamation marks) that "all our files are going to be lost!" in the same breath in which they blame Mark for charging them money to save it.

It is not Mark's fault that "all their files are going to be lost." That's a combination of yahoo and their own intransigence in ignoring the signs of yahoo's demise. And if you want to give these folks the benefit of the doubt, you can say it's entirely yahoo's fault. But still: not Mark's. Not at all. And they (or some of them) blame him.

That part is not a matter of opinion.

Susan,
No one is forcing you to agree with my views or anyone else's here. We don't need to discuss the fact that we obviously disagree with each other. This is not a private conversation. We are expressing our views and that's fine. It's not necessary to keep insisting that my own opinion is my own opinion lol.

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 9:39 PM Susan B <doggiesmail@...> wrote:
[...]

You are welcome to the last word.

Susan B

On Oct 23, 2019, at 12:41 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi All,

Because the conversation had devolved, I put this topic on moderation last night before I went to bed, and will be locking it this morning, without approving any of the messages sent last night. Apropos of nothing, here is a picture of Linus.

small linus.jpeg

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 2:28 PM Mark Fletcher via Groups.Io <markf=corp.groups.io@groups.io> wrote:

Like everyone, we were taken by surprise when Yahoo announced they will be shutting down Yahoo Groups in just a few short weeks. Groups.io runs a world-class email groups service and has quickly been recognized as the best migration option for Yahoo Groups users. We are flattered by this recognition, and have been overwhelmed with traffic and group transfer requests as a result. We have spent the days since Yahoo's announcement diligently adding new server capacity and starting to work through an unprecedented number of transfer requests.

Fortunately, Groups.io has always been built to scale and already has a user base in excess of 1 million users today. In order to accommodate this major growth phase while maintaining our excellent service levels and industry-leading functionality, we will need to adjust our pricing as follows. As of 9AM Pacific Time, October 22:

  1. The annual fee for premium groups is $20/month or $220/year. (Premium groups in existence before that date are grandfathered in at their current fee.)

  2. As is already the case, all transferred groups are required to be premium groups for the first year. The $220 transfer fee counts for the premium fee, so once having paid the transfer fee, transferred groups are exempt from paying the premium fee for the first year.

  3. All new basic (non-premium) groups are required to be premium groups if they have, or acquire, more than 500 members or more than 3 subgroups. (Basic groups in existence before October 22 at 9AM remain unlimited for now; however, next year we will be looking at readjusting our pricing structure and moving away from a flat rate fee and towards a more equitable per-member cost. We will keep you posted about all of this as we work through the process.)

As you know, Yahoo has given us incredibly short deadlines. New content cannot be uploaded to Yahoo Groups after October 28 and all user generated content will be deleted from Yahoo Groups on December 14. To ensure that we have enough time to export all data off of Yahoo, we have set a deadline of midnight, December 1 Pacific Time for all new transfer requests to be received. Assuming that Yahoo doesn’t have any server issues, we believe that we’ll be able to export all data out of Yahoo before they delete all the data. However, in order to maintain a high level of service to our existing customers, we cannot import groups into our service as fast as we can export them out of Yahoo. There may be some delay before we can import all groups. If you wish to have your transfer prioritized, the group transfer page allows you to pay an additional one-time fee of $200 (this will go live at 9AM Pacific Time, October 22).

We welcome the opportunity to elevate the groups email experience for Yahoo users. We are committed to making the migration process as seamless as possible. Thank you for choosing Groups.io.

Thanks, Mark