Topics

locked Not getting copies of messages I sent to my group

Hi Mark,

For my group this isn't a want, it's a definite need. My users will freak if they don't get a confirmation their message went through to the group. It's one of the reasons we're looking to migrate off of Wiggio.

I think for us what would work best is to have it as the ability to set it as a group setting with the option for individual members to opt out if desired.

So far this is the only thing I've come across that would cause us not to migrate to io. The calendar looks like it's going to work pretty well for our automatic reminder notices as long as there's not a low limit to characters or file size as a couple of our notices are fairly long.

Also, another user in my test group is on gmail and she's getting copies of her messages. So people who are thinking this is being caused solely by gmail, I don't think that's it. Another tester is on AOL and she seems to be getting her messages back most of the time but occasionally not.

Thanks
Trish

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 11:32 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Many email providers do this. I used to think there was nothing I could do to circumvent this, but in the course of building support for edited messages, I found a way, and it's not difficult. If there's demand, I could add this feature. Would you want this on a per-subscription basis, or for all your subscriptions?

Mark

Trish,

For my group this isn't a want, it's a definite need. My users will
freak if they don't get a confirmation their message went through to the
group. It's one of the reasons we're looking to migrate off of Wiggio.
To be clear, Groups.io is sending their own posts back. Whether they can see the returned messages in their email service depends on the service. For Gmail not, usually, but there's a lot of confusion out there about work-arounds to the problem.

I don't know about Wiggio, but the same issue is a perennial topic in Yahoo Groups help lists.

I think for us what would work best is to have it as the ability to set
it as a group setting with the option for individual members to opt out
if desired.
I disagree. The issue email service specific not group specific; so the tools to resolve it belong with the member's profile or subscription not the group settings.

Also, another user in my test group is on gmail and she's getting copies
of her messages. So people who are thinking this is being caused solely
by gmail, I don't think that's it.
It is caused by Gmail, and some other services. But there are various ways to get around it and so some people report that they do get copies back. Much more detail is needed to understand the situation.

Another tester is on AOL and she seems to be getting her messages back
most of the time but occasionally not.
She should look in her spam folder for the occasionally not. AOL and Yahoo Mail are both prone to putting list messages in spam, especially when the From address is your own.

-- Shal