Topics

locked Not getting copies of messages I sent to my group


 

If I start a new thread via email, I'm not receiving a copy back in my mail after it passes through the group.

Some members are getting theirs when they send a message, but I am not.

Trish


monamouroui
 

If you want a copy you have to send it from the groups webpage (or maybe from a third party app like the one I'm using). Gmail won't add duplicate messages when emailed from Gmail. So even though it appears to come from the group, Gmail knows it came from you and that message is already in your archives. So it cannot duplicate it.

It's a pain in the butt, but I understand the logic behind it.

Sara

Sent from Blue Mail

On Jan 26, 2015, at 10:10 PM, "pnrfan@..." <pnrfan@...> wrote:
If I start a new thread via email, I'm not receiving a copy back in my mail after it passes through the group.

Some members are getting theirs when they send a message, but I am not.

Trish


David P. Dillard
 

This has nothing to do with Groups.IO. It is yet another delightful feature of Gmail, don't go to Hades without it. Temple University has a corporate Gmail account for its students staff and faculty. Gmail in the infinite wisdom of Herr Google has determined that though shalt not find emails that thou sendeth in thine Inbox for if thou sentest the email thou shouldest know what it looketh like. Such great wisdom, wasted on email when such brilliance could be solving the world's problems. Sad.




Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015, @trishm wrote:

If I start a new thread via email, I'm not receiving a copy back in my mail after it passes through the group.
Some members are getting theirs when they send a message, but I am not.
Trish


 

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 8:28 PM, David P. Dillard <jwne@...> wrote:

This has nothing to do with Groups.IO.  It is yet another delightful feature of Gmail, don't go to Hades without it.  Temple University has a corporate Gmail account for its students staff and faculty.  Gmail in the infinite wisdom of Herr Google has determined that though shalt not find emails that thou sendeth in thine Inbox for if thou sentest the email thou shouldest know what it looketh like.  Such great wisdom, wasted on email when such brilliance could be solving the world's problems.  Sad.


Many email providers do this. I used to think there was nothing I could do to circumvent this, but in the course of building support for edited messages, I found a way, and it's not difficult. If there's demand, I could add this feature. Would you want this on a per-subscription basis, or for all your subscriptions?


Mark 


David P. Dillard
 

My preference is to block this feature for all email providers so that members of any GroupIO group get the mail they sent back as evidence there posts were sent to members by the list server.




Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015, Mark Fletcher wrote:

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 8:28 PM, David P. Dillard <jwne@...> wrote:

This has nothing to do with Groups.IO.  It is yet another delightful feature of Gmail, don't go to Hades without it. 
Temple University has a corporate Gmail account for its students staff and faculty.  Gmail in the infinite wisdom of
Herr Google has determined that though shalt not find emails that thou sendeth in thine Inbox for if thou sentest the
email thou shouldest know what it looketh like.  Such great wisdom, wasted on email when such brilliance could be
solving the world's problems.  Sad.
Many email providers do this. I used to think there was nothing I could do to circumvent this, but in the course of building
support for edited messages, I found a way, and it's not difficult. If there's demand, I could add this feature. Would you want
this on a per-subscription basis, or for all your subscriptions?
Mark 


 

On 1/26/2015 8:28 PM, David P. Dillard wrote:

This has nothing to do with Groups.IO. It is yet another delightful
feature of Gmail, don't go to Hades without it. Temple University has a
corporate Gmail account for its students staff and faculty. Gmail in
the infinite wisdom of Herr Google has determined that though shalt not
find emails that thou sendeth in thine Inbox for if thou sentest the
email thou shouldest know what it looketh like. Such great wisdom,
wasted on email when such brilliance could be solving the world's
problems. Sad.
Only if you use the Gmail Web interface.

If you use a *real* email client - Thunderbird, for
example (because that's what I use), they have a POP
server - and if you use another email to get ggroup
email at a different address, it gets delivered
individually, including your own, the way any
listserver software works.

dg


 

No, I don't think so since I have a Yahoo group I still use and I always get a copy of that message back. So it can't be a gmail thing. Unless it's a gmail thing that only works intermittently?

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 10:45 PM, monamouroui <monamouroui@...> wrote:

If you want a copy you have to send it from the groups webpage (or maybe from a third party app like the one I'm using). Gmail won't add duplicate messages when emailed from Gmail. So even though it appears to come from the group, Gmail knows it came from you and that message is already in your archives. So it cannot duplicate it.

It's a pain in the butt, but I understand the logic behind it.

Sara

Sent from Blue Mail

On Jan 26, 2015, at 10:10 PM, "pnrfan@..." <pnrfan@...> wrote:
If I start a new thread via email, I'm not receiving a copy back in my mail after it passes through the group.

Some members are getting theirs when they send a message, but I am not.

Trish



 

Thumbs up on this idea.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 11:46 PM, David P. Dillard <jwne@...> wrote:



My preference is to block this feature for all email providers so that members of any GroupIO group get the mail they sent back as evidence there posts were sent to members by the list server.




Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...


On Mon, 26 Jan 2015, Mark Fletcher wrote:

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 8:28 PM, David P. Dillard <jwne@...> wrote:

      This has nothing to do with Groups.IO.  It is yet another delightful feature of Gmail, don't go to Hades without it. 
      Temple University has a corporate Gmail account for its students staff and faculty.  Gmail in the infinite wisdom of
      Herr Google has determined that though shalt not find emails that thou sendeth in thine Inbox for if thou sentest the
      email thou shouldest know what it looketh like.  Such great wisdom, wasted on email when such brilliance could be
      solving the world's problems.  Sad.


Many email providers do this. I used to think there was nothing I could do to circumvent this, but in the course of building
support for edited messages, I found a way, and it's not difficult. If there's demand, I could add this feature. Would you want
this on a per-subscription basis, or for all your subscriptions?


Mark 








David P. Dillard
 

I do have alternative email accounts that receive my posts. I use the Alpine email client for Temple Gmail, but this does block the return of my posts everywhere to lists. Thanks for the heads up.




Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015, CatWoman wrote:

On 1/26/2015 8:28 PM, David P. Dillard wrote:
This has nothing to do with Groups.IO. It is yet another delightful
feature of Gmail, don't go to Hades without it. Temple University has a
corporate Gmail account for its students staff and faculty. Gmail in
the infinite wisdom of Herr Google has determined that though shalt not
find emails that thou sendeth in thine Inbox for if thou sentest the
email thou shouldest know what it looketh like. Such great wisdom,
wasted on email when such brilliance could be solving the world's
problems. Sad.
Only if you use the Gmail Web interface.

If you use a *real* email client - Thunderbird, for
example (because that's what I use), they have a POP
server - and if you use another email to get ggroup
email at a different address, it gets delivered
individually, including your own, the way any
listserver software works.

dg




 

On 1/27/2015 3:37 AM, @trishm wrote:
No, I don't think so since I have a Yahoo group I still use and I always
get a copy of that message back. So it can't be a gmail thing. Unless
it's a gmail thing that only works intermittently?
Are you reading your gmail from the gmail web page? Or a
mail client?

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 10:45 PM, monamouroui <monamouroui@...
<mailto:monamouroui@...>> wrote:

If you want a copy you have to send it from the groups webpage (or
maybe from a third party app like the one I'm using). Gmail won't
add duplicate messages when emailed from Gmail. So even though it
appears to come from the group, Gmail knows it came from you and
that message is already in your archives. So it cannot duplicate it.

It's a pain in the butt, but I understand the logic behind it.


 

I read my emails in the Chrome browser.

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:28 AM, CatWoman <diana@...> wrote:
On 1/27/2015 3:37 AM, pnrfan@... wrote:
No, I don't think so since I have a Yahoo group I still use and I always
get a copy of that message back. So it can't be a gmail thing. Unless
it's a gmail thing that only works intermittently?

Are you reading your gmail from the gmail web page?  Or a
mail client?



 

On 1/27/2015 11:14 AM, @trishm wrote:
I read my emails in the Chrome browser.
logging in to your google/gmail account on the web,
so you are reading from the gmail web page.

A mail client would be something like Thunderbird,
Eudora, or even Outlook.

dg


Nightowl >8#
 

G mail can be set to forward all mail to another E-mail, for example, my g-mail address forwards my mail to my Yahoo one.

Brenda


Nightowl >8#
 

Diana wrote:>>Are you reading your gmail from the gmail web page? Or a mail client?<<

Mail client. Thunderbird. But G-mail gives you an option to send/forward your mail to another linked e-mail address, which I do.

Brenda


 

On 1/28/2015 2:52 PM, Feathered Leader wrote:
Diana wrote:>>Are you reading your gmail from the gmail web page? Or a mail client?<<

Mail client. Thunderbird. But G-mail gives you an option to send/forward your mail to another linked e-mail address, which I do.
So you should be seeing all your gmail messages sent to any list, since
I think GMail does the forward processing before doing any local
processing.

dg


Laurence Taylor
 

On 27/01/2015 03:45, monamouroui wrote:
If you want a copy you have to send it from the groups webpage (or
maybe from a third party app like the one I'm using). Gmail won't add
duplicate messages when emailed from Gmail. So even though it appears
to come from the group, Gmail knows it came from you and that message
is already in your archives. So it cannot duplicate it.
It's only Gmail's web display that does this; if you download the
messages to your email client, you see everything as you would expect.

There is a way of creating a duplicate email that fools Gmail into
thinking you're someone else and lets you read your relayed posts; I
forget the details but it's widely known and I'm sure someone will be
able to advise.


--
rgds
LAurence
<><


Laurence Taylor
 

On 27/01/2015 04:32, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Many email providers do this. I used to think there was nothing I could do
to circumvent this, but in the course of building support for edited
messages, I found a way, and it's not difficult. If there's demand, I could
add this feature. Would you want this on a per-subscription basis, or for
all your subscriptions?
A user option of "Do you want to receive your own posts?" was a feature
of some systems and might be popular.

--
rgds
LAurence
<><