Non-members becoming Past members? #misc

Andy

Groups.io lets you ban an email address even if it does not belong to a current group member.  From time to time I ban addresses of people who are not my group's members yet.  OK, maybe I am abusing the "ban" function.  I'm trying to either make sure they can't join, or trying to give the hint that their repeated messages are not wanted.  Recently I did some house-cleaning and un-banned some addresses that I realized were temporary.

To my surprise, those un-banned addresses now appear as Past Members, even though they never were members.

This doesn't seem right.

The other thing is that some banned members who WERE group members, do not show up as Past Members.

Andy
(who realizes someone should probably break the "Ban User" button on his computer)

There are several anomalies along these lines. I think every email address that ever had some kind of record in the group is called a "past" member. It might be good to find another word besides "past," but I'd have to think about what it could be.

Mike Hanauer

I can't find an option to see past members.

Where is that? Is it not in all versions?

Consider Better, not Bigger. So many advantages. Just ask. USA adds a Chicago to our overpop each year.
"Still more population growth is not our way to a healthy community, a healthy planet, OR enjoyable cycling."

    ~Mike

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 12:24 PM, Mike Hanauer wrote:
I can't find an option to see past members.
It's not available to basic groups.

Andy

Hmm.  I have a use for seeing who are Past members.  I believe I have no reason to see a list of others who are not Past members.

I vote for keeping the name the same ("Past" members) and changing how it works so that it fits the name.

Andy

It currently includes all “members” who were rejected. I would definitely like to keep those in this list, or some list, no matter what it’s called. And there are other situations involving the way this is set up internally. I think it would would require a major revamp in order not to mess up some of those other things (which I can’t list at the top of my head right now). I “vote” for keeping it as is and ignoring what you’re not interested in. You can always see why they’re in the list by the “history” column.

On Sep 30, 2021, at 12:35 PM, Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

Hmm.  I have a use for seeing who are Past members.  I believe I have no reason to see a list of others who are not Past members.

I vote for keeping the name the same ("Past" members) and changing how it works so that it fits the name.

Andy

Bob Bellizzi

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 12:47 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I “vote” for keeping it as is and ignoring what you’re not interested in.
Me too, I vote with you Julie, I mean Catlady <g>

--

Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 01:23 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
Me too, I vote with you Julie, I mean Catlady <g>
No idea what you're talking about. My name is not Julie anyway. But your "vote" is welcome.

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 12:47 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
You can always see why they’re in the list by the “history” column.
And of course, you can sort by that column to make that easier.

Hi All,

Currently, when you ban an existing member of your group, that generates a past member record. If you proactively ban an email address (someone that is not currently a member of your group), that does not generate a past member record.

If you unban someone, regardless of whether that was a proactive or not ban, that also generates a past member record. This is basically a duplicate record (for members who had been banned).

My proposal is to eliminate the creation of a past member record when you unban someone. That fixes Andy's problem.

Please let me know what you think.

Andy

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 04:42 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
My proposal is to eliminate the creation of a past member record when you unban someone. That fixes Andy's problem.

I think that matches my expectation.  (Then again, what I think often does not jibe with what others think, or with the reasons behind something.)

If someone wasn't ever a member, I would think they should not appear on a list of members, past or otherwise.  Using the word "member" implies actual group membership, even if it really only means that you have a record of that address.

If this is being done only to satisfy my strange peculiarities, I'd say don't do it just for me.  Maybe it's a good thing to keep that record of an email address that was banned and unbanned.

Andy

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 04:42 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
My proposal is to eliminate the creation of a past member record when you unban someone. That fixes Andy's problem.
Unless it creates coding headaches and such, I'd suggest to finetune the proposal instead of doing it wholesale:  Eliminate the creation of a past member record only if you unban a banned address which was originally banned proactively (wasn't a member when banned+no past member record creation)

This leaves those out of the past member list screen entirely so it would still take care of Andy's problem, but would also preserve past member list inclusion for unbanned folks who were members when they were banned hence they should appear in that past member list screen.

Cheers,
Christos

Andy

Personally, I find it puzzling that previous members who are banned, do not appear on the Past Members list.  But that's just me.  I guess there's a policy reason for ignoring them when it comes to past members.

On 2021-10-07 19:49, Andy via groups.io wrote:
Personally, I find it puzzling that previous members who are banned, do not appear on the Past Members list.  But that's just me.  I guess there's a policy reason for ignoring them when it comes to past members.

Wait, I thought they did show up, isn't that what Mark's statement means?

"Currently, when you ban an existing member of your group, that generates a past member record."

I haven't had the need to ban a member (so far), so to see what happens, I did a quick test with a test address I joined to one of my groups, then banned it, and it does show up in Past members.

Cheers,
Christos

Andy

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 08:28 PM, Christos Psarras wrote:
Wait, I thought they did show up, isn't that what Mark's statement means?

Hmm.  I even checked before writing what I did.  None of the banned members I checked are in the Past Members list.  However, there are other previously-banned members who are among Past Members, so I guess "it depends".  I lost track (too many bits for my feeble brain to hold onto), but I think there were changes to this policy, weren't there?  The most recently banned members are NOT on the Past Members list.

Andy

On 2021-10-07 20:47, Andy via groups.io wrote:
I think there were changes to this policy, weren't there?  The most recently banned members are NOT on the Past Members list.

I honestly have no idea if something was changed or not, I have not had to use the ban functionality before and I only did a couple of tests with a single test user yesterday, but I did notice one strange thing in the banned-member filtered screen, or at least it looked strange to me.  You can (as expected) select someone and from Actions select "unban" or "send message".  But there's also a "remove" option, see below, I don't know what that is supposed to do, I didn't try it when I did my test yesterday.  I mean, unbanning someone removes them from the list, so what's the purpose of the "remove" option, what does it do?  It's not documented in the owner manual in the "Unbanning a member" section.  Could it be you accidentally selected that for some folk and it may have something to do with what you're (or not) seeing?  I have no clue.

Cheers,
Christos

Hi All,

I've gone ahead and made the change where unbanning someone does not generate a new past member record. I have also removed the `Remove` option on the Banned Members page, it was mostly a duplicate with `Unban`.