Topics

locked New Subscription Options

I've taken Shal's suggestion, and created a mockup page, so we can discuss it.

I haven't had a chance to think much about this yet. Please let me know what you think.

Frances

Looks good.

Typo - first message ONLY
Not ALSO

Frances

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 19, 2015, at 2:21 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

I've taken Shal's suggestion, and created a mockup page, so we can discuss it.

I haven't had a chance to think much about this yet. Please let me know what you think.

Frances

Functionality - great.

A couple of grammar changes needed, I think.

Group messages together as one email instead of individually.

Should be groups
Might be clearer to say "being sent individually"

Also.
Every message in threads or hashtags you are following are emailed to you, except threads you've muted. (Special notices from the moderators are followed).

Instead of "are emailed" should be "is emailed".

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 19, 2015, at 3:27 PM, Frances <travel@...> wrote:

Looks good.

Typo - first message ONLY
Not ALSO

Frances

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 19, 2015, at 2:21 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

I've taken Shal's suggestion, and created a mockup page, so we can discuss it.

I haven't had a chance to think much about this yet. Please let me know what you think.

Frances

Hi

Well, the email delivery looks right.

Not sure about the other section - Message selection.

First Message Also
The first message of every thread is also emailed to you, except for hashtags you've muted.

This is a checkbox, rather than a radio button. I assume you must select a radio button and the check box modifies it.

I had thought that users would be able to say, just send me the first message of any new thread.
This doesn’t do that, I think.

Also “follow replies” - not sure the circumstances for this one.
Isn’t that “all email”?

Frances

On Jan 19 15, at 3:36 PM, Frances <travel@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark,

I've taken Shal's suggestion, and created a mockup page, so we can
discuss it.
I haven't had a chance to think much about this yet. Please let me
know what you think.
Thanks!

I imagined "Individual Messages" and "All Messages" as the defaults (unless moderators get to choose the defaults), but I suppose the lack of any initial selection is an artifact of the mockup. The latter I think should be "All Messages", not "All Email", as this Option is about message selection.

Maybe the former should be "Individual Emails - You will receive each message in an individual email." for consistency.

I like Frances' re-wording "Daily Digest - Group messages together as one email instead of being sent individually."

I imagined "First Message Also" being enabled only if "Following Only" is selected, to make that connection clearer. I'm not sure if having one control enable/disable another is done elsewhere in Groups.io, maybe it isn't part of the style book.

Visually I'm not so happy with "Follow Replies" hanging there at the bottom. In a way it is a separate option, related to Message Selection but also distinct. Maybe it deserves a heading of its own, "Auto Follow" or something hinting that it is broader than just Message Selection for email - it also controls which threads appear in the "Followed Threads" list(s) on the web site.

I note the absence of the "Special Notices" selection. At first thought maybe you've flip-flopped again, or just decided to keep them out of this discussion. On second thought, maybe it really isn't needed there - it is really a part of Message Selection.

My reason for leaving it in the Email Delivery list was to serve the use case of a member going on vacation or otherwise wanting a simple way to temporarily suspend email delivery - while perhaps still picking up the Special notices.

-- Shal

Frances,

Typo - first message ONLY
Not ALSO
Not a typo. It means "also", in addition to the messages in threads you are following. Getting the first message of each new thread is how you decide if you want to follow that thread (otherwise you'd have to go to the web site to find them).

-- Shal

Frances

Hi

Could "First Message Also" be greyed out if Following Only isn’t selected?

Frances

On Jan 19 15, at 4:54 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

I imagined "First Message Also" being enabled only if "Following Only" is selected, to make that connection clearer. I'm not sure if having one control enable/disable another is done elsewhere in Groups.io, maybe it isn't part of the style book.

Frances,

This is a checkbox, rather than a radio button. I assume you must
select a radio button and the check box modifies it.
Correct. It modifies "Following Only" - it isn't meaningful if you've
selected "All Messages" (which Mark wrote as "All Email").

I had thought that users would be able to say, just send me the first
message of any new thread.
This doesn’t do that, I think.
It does do that if you aren't following any threads or hashtags (yet).
But if you are you get those too. I don't think there's a use for
getting First Messages in each thread but not the messages in threads or
hashtags you've chosen to follow.

Also “follow replies” - not sure the circumstances for this one.
Isn’t that “all email”?
Only if you start or are the first one to reply to absolutely every
thread (in some groups, maybe here, I'm probably thought to be "that
guy"). But I'd normally select "All Messages" (aka "All Email") in most
of my groups anyway.

The use case is for someone who likes to use the "Followed Threads" list
on the web, or the "Following Only" option by email. With this option
checked they don't have to manually Follow threads they start or reply
to. It is more likely, I suspect, that there is no actual use case for
_not_ having it checked.

-- Shal

Frances,

Could "First Message Also" be greyed out if Following Only isn’t
selected?
Exactly what I intended to say, but jargon got in the way. By
enable/disable I meant make the control active versus greyed out - I
didn't mean to check or uncheck the box.

-- Shal

I would have thought that "No email" would be a message selection option rather than a delivery option.

I also agree with Shal that "Follow replies" is left dangling awkwardly and would fit in better under an "Auto-follow" heading.

"Every message in threads or hashtags you are following are emailed to you" - I wasn't aware that there was an option to follow hashtags, just to block some.

Chris,

I would have thought that "No email" would be a message selection
option rather than a delivery option.
Hm... I can see the argument that selecting no messages for delivery is equivalent to selecting not to deliver messages. I put No Email (and Special Notices) in the "Email Delivery" option mostly to keep that option similar to what Yahoo Groups users expect. That might not be a rational choice in the long run.

LOL, if we move that to a Message Selection of "No Messages" (and one of "Special Notices") then we've gone just about full circle back to the existing Subscription page - except using a pair of radio buttons in a separate option to choose between Individual Emails and Daily Digest, instead of a checkbox. Still, if that's all we did I think it is still clearer than the current page.

"Every message in threads or hashtags you are following are emailed
to you" - I wasn't aware that there was an option to follow hashtags,
just to block some.
There isn't (yet).
"There currently is no option to follow a specific hashtag. That's clearly missing."
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/beta/message/793

-- Shal

On 1/19/2015 4:43 PM, Chris Leong wrote:
I would have thought that "No email" would be a message selection option
rather than a delivery option.
In a way it is both - but it really is a delivery option, because you
might only read your group on the web. It's saying "don't send
anything to my email address". If you read on the web, you can
(apparently, since I haven't tried the thread options yet) choose
what you want to see there. *How* you're seeing it is via the
web, not your email client.

dg

ro-esp

"The first message of every thread is also emailed to you" should read

"The first message of every new thread is also emailed to you"

and why can't I put a quotation mark  on the same line here?

                                             groetjes, Ronaldo

Judy F.

I see quotes around each statement.

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

"The first message of every thread is also emailed to you" should read

"The first message of every new thread is also emailed to you"

and why can't I put a quotation mark  on the same line here?

                                             groetjes, Ronaldo

I've updated the mockup.

I added a Special Notices Only delivery option. I also put Auto Follow Replies under Following Only, because that's the only option that applies to it. I also changed the wording of several options based on your feedback. And now it grays out options that aren't applicable.

Please check it out and let me know what you think.

Mark,

I also put Auto Follow Replies under Following Only, because that's
the only option that applies to it.
I note that a checkmark there disappears (leaving an empty gray box) when you click "All Messages", and does not reappear when you click "Following Only" again. Same if you click "No Email" and then click "Individual Messages" again.

There's a minor issue that I'd prefer that the prior state be retained when one switches and switches back.

The more major issue is that I think "Auto Follow Replies" is a useful option for members that have selected "Special Notices Only" or "No Email" because they prefer reading messages via the "Followed Threads" tab in their Groups.io Inbox. That's the use case that makes me think it should be broken out as a stand-alone option, unaffected by Email Delivery or Message Selection.

That's assuming the necessary changes are made to the Follow/Mute affordances so that one can manage one's Followed Threads without receiving email.

Unless I've completely misunderstood.

-- Shal

Email delivery would be clearer if "Daily digest" was "Daily digest + Special notices" said "Special notices will still be received individually"

I think I've confused myself. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've confused myself. Let's ignore for a minute how the Inbox/Muted Threads/etc tabs actually work on the home page. How should all this work? Here's a proposal:

Based on your subscription, you either have muted threads & hashtags, or followed threads & hashtags. You're either excluding or including things to be delivered to you.

When viewing a specific group that you're subscribed to, there will be tabs on the sidebar for muted threads/hashtags, or followed threads/hashtags, allowing you to see what you've muted/followed, and letting you undo those actions. The group archives will always show all the group messages, from which you can mute or follow new things..

When going to groups.io (aka the home page), there will be tabs for Inbox, Muted Thread, Muted Hashtags, Followed Threads, Followed Hashtags. The Muted and Followed tabs are just aggregations over all your subscriptions. Inbox will be what you would get sent to you in email if your Email Delivery setting was set to Individual Messages (regardless of what your Email Delivery setting actually is).

Does that make sense? If it does, then I think the current newsubpage makes sense? Too complicated?

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:
Mark,

> I also put Auto Follow Replies under Following Only, because that's
> the only option that applies to it.

I note that a checkmark there disappears (leaving an empty gray box) when you click "All Messages", and does not reappear when you click "Following Only" again. Same if you click "No Email" and then click "Individual Messages" again.

There's a minor issue that I'd prefer that the prior state be retained when one switches and switches back.

The more major issue is that I think "Auto Follow Replies" is a useful option for members that have selected "Special Notices Only" or "No Email" because they prefer reading messages via the "Followed Threads" tab in their Groups.io Inbox. That's the use case that makes me think it should be broken out as a stand-alone option, unaffected by Email Delivery or Message Selection.

That's assuming the necessary changes are made to the Follow/Mute affordances so that one can manage one's Followed Threads without receiving email.

Unless I've completely misunderstood.

-- Shal

Duane

" Inbox will be what you would get sent to you in email if your Email Delivery setting was set to Individual Messages (regardless of what your Email Delivery setting actually is)."

So anything that would be delivered (or not) under these circumstances would also be delivered (or not) according to actual delivery settings (individual/digest/special/none)? In other words, what we see in the Inbox view may or may not be sent via email depending on our individual delivery settings. (I tend to use the web only, but I know many prefer to use email when possible.)

Possibly adding a "Cancel" button on the subscription settings page would be useful if someone changes their mind?

Frances

Hi Mark,

I think it does make sense.

I like that I will also be able to see the status of an individual group by the tabs on the side bar.

Frances