moderated New premium group feature: event summary emails

Hi All,

I just pushed a new feature for premium groups, event summary emails. Every Friday morning, you can have an email sent to your group listing the next 20 events in your group. It's tagged with #cal-summary. To turn it on, look for the new checkbox in the Calendar section of your group settings page.

Cheers,
Mark

Nina Eppes

I like this idea, but for my chorus group, an event summary every week would be overkill because we don't have that many events and they're fairly spread out; therefore, we'd see the same ones listed in the summary email for several weeks in a row. However, I think a summary once a month would work nicely for us. Would it be possible to add an option to send the event summary monthly?

Thanks,
Nina

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 8:05 AM Nina Eppes <nina.eppes@...> wrote:
I like this idea, but for my chorus group, an event summary every week would be overkill because we don't have that many events and they're fairly spread out; therefore, we'd see the same ones listed in the summary email for several weeks in a row. However, I think a summary once a month would work nicely for us. Would it be possible to add an option to send the event summary monthly?

There's now a dropdown in group settings to select either weekly Friday delivery or monthly delivery of the summary email.

Cheers,
Mark

Nina Eppes

Awesome, Mark! Thank you so much!

- Nina

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 08:15 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
you can have an email sent to your group listing the next 20 events in your group
The cal-summary emails we receive are only listing the next 10 events.  Is there also a limit on how far in advance the system is checking for events to include on the summary?

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 03:06 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 08:15 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
you can have an email sent to your group listing the next 20 events in your group
The cal-summary emails we receive are only listing the next 10 events.  Is there also a limit on how far in advance the system is checking for events to include on the summary?
Hi Mark,

I'm just giving this a nudge and following up on a current topic on GMF. Can you confirm whether the calendar event summaries should contain 10 or 20 events?  The owners' manual says 20 but since its inception back in June 2019 I have never seen more than 10.

Regards
Andy

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 5:54 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

I'm just giving this a nudge and following up on a current topic on GMF. Can you confirm whether the calendar event summaries should contain 10 or 20 events?  The owners' manual says 20 but since its inception back in June 2019 I have never seen more than 10.

I've changed it to 20.

Doug M.

I question, why on Fridays? This would be very useful to me if I could choose the day of the week it gets delivered.  I'd do it on Sundays to prep for the business week ahead. Less important, but also potentially valuable, would be to allow users to designate the number of entries included or, even better, a time period, like "Only include postings for listings happening in the next XX days." My understanding is that only a max of 20 entries is included in the summary. In one of my groups, some weeks (like near a deadline or a special event) can quickly reach and exceed that amount. Specifiying a set number of days vs a set number of entries would manage this. But just being able to designate the day of the week it is sent would be HUGE for me.

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 07:34 PM, Doug M. wrote:
I question, why on Fridays?
Friday is probably the best day for my group as we tend to have lots of weekend activity so a reminder on Friday morning works well. I support you request for greater flexibility though. I put forward a suggestion for promoted events in August too which would also offer additional flexibility.

Regards
Andy

Village Circle Club

I agree with Doug here.  I could also argue a need to be able to post this more than once a week, or even better, on demand when it seems to be needed due to updates, corrections, and additions.

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 11:34 AM Doug M. <dmpublic99@...> wrote:

I question, why on Fridays? This would be very useful to me if I could choose the day of the week it gets delivered. I'd do it on Sundays to prep for the business week ahead. Less important, but also potentially valuable, would be to allow users to designate the number of entries included or, even better, a time period, like "Only include postings for listings happening in the next XX days." My understanding is that only a max of 20 entries is included in the summary. In one of my groups, some weeks (like near a deadline or a special event) can quickly reach and exceed that amount. Specifiying a set number of days vs a set number of entries would manage this. But just being able to designate the day of the week it is sent would be HUGE for me.
You can now specify any day of the week for the summary emails to be sent out.

Cheers,
Mark

Doug M.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  You stun me every time by how agile and prompt you are in handling requests and squashing bugs.

Village Circle Club

I just finished reading the book, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" to my nephew. The title here could be, "If you give a group owner a new feature."  We'll always want more. :-) Anyhow.

I like the addition of a day choice for the calendar summary email.  Sending it on Sundays makes it so much more usable. One of my members pointed out that this is similar to the Google Calendar Daily agenda notification choice. In my case, having it list more than one day is greatly superior, but it does beg a few questions and considerations.

Is there any reason that the choice for the Calendar Summary couldn't be a checkbox last so more than one choice could be made? Say, Sunday and Friday. Or M W F? Does it use up too many computer resources or anything that would limit this?

Secondly, why specifically 20 items?  If this summary is limited to once a week, in our situation we have some days with 15-20 different resident activity and event choices listed--on a single day. Getting the summary is then useless. Again, is there any reason for not allowing us to chose how may items to include in the summary or indicate a range of days, say, the next seven days (or 8, or 14...)?

The idea here is that our residents (seniors in this case) like and need reminders and updates but do not want multiple separate emails or notifications for individual calendar listing. Getting a daily agenda is not enough because they want to see what's coming and to plan for it, but if the notice is too early, it's too easy to forget after the notice arrives. Additionally, although we have taught many how to follow or mute hashtags, and use them extensively, for individual activity notifications, getting a listing of everything coming up soon helps residents catch things they weren't aware of that they aren't following.  Conversely, an argument for producing a summary that is limited ONLY to those hashtags followed or not muted is easy to make as well.

I suspect you question why you ever included a calendar in GIO. Be assured, we are very thankful you did. We also appreciate whatever you are able to do for us to make it worth YOUR effort.

Brooke Brooks

If I remember correctly, the digest send day and 15 items are both triggers for the digest. Meaning, if 15 items are posted the digest would go out immediately. If only three items are posted than the digest would go out the day selected. In your case, Sunday.

On Sun, Dec 4, 2022 at 11:32 AM Village Circle Club <villagecircleclub@...> wrote:
[...]

Duane

On Sun, Dec 4, 2022 at 02:17 PM, Brooke Brooks wrote:
the digest
Digest format of posted messages is totally separate from the calendar event summary being discussed here.

Duane

Andy Wedge

On Sun, Dec 4, 2022 at 08:17 PM, Brooke Brooks wrote:
15 items.
In addition to what Duane said, a digest contains 12 messages as per details in the Member's Manual.

Regards
Andy