Topics

moderated New notifications #update

Chris Jones

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 08:49 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what form such a control might take.
I am going to take Shal's comment out of its original context to raise another related point: should Notification Hashtags be Locked by default?

IMHO replies to Notifications make no sense, but at present there is nothing to stop members sending them. The content of an individual upload or wiki edit may warrant some discussion, but the Notification of that upload or edit is not an appropriate place for that discussion because the subject line gives no clue about the actual content.

Chris

Chris,

IMHO replies to Notifications make no sense, but at present there is nothing to stop members sending them. The content of an individual upload or wiki edit may warrant some discussion, but the Notification of that upload or edit is not an appropriate place for that discussion because the subject line gives no clue about the actual content.

I disagree. The subject text of a notification for a Wiki page includes the page's Title, and the body text contains a link to the page. Those seem perfectly adequate as discussion starters.

In the case of the #cal-xxxx notifications, those have been very successful discussion starters in my social groups, particularly birthday and anniversary events.

Shal

Yes, locked by default or even by constraint, I’ve suggested that in one of these threads. And I think that edit options on these notification tags should generally be restricted to what’s meaningful for them.

On Jun 18, 2020, at 1:43 PM, Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 08:49 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what form such a control might take.
I am going to take Shal's comment out of its original context to raise another related point: should Notification Hashtags be Locked by default?

Chris 

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Bob Bellizzi

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 12:49 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
Impudent response: sounds like your members need to learn what the Mute link in the message footer is for.
Demands to people we are trying to help won't sit well and will likely increase optional unsubscribes plus those for marking  messages as spam.
Many groups here serve their stakeholders at the stakeholders' pleasure even though we are truly attempting to help them. 

--

Bob Bellizzi

Bob,

Demands to people we are trying to help won't sit well and will likely
increase optional unsubscribes plus those for marking messages as
spam.
Of course!

I certainly wasn't advocating that anyone respond impudently to their membership. That label was intended as mark that statement as having a point, but one that would probably not often be welcome.

Many groups here serve their stakeholders at the stakeholders'
pleasure even though we are truly attempting to help them.
That's exactly the case with my PTA group, and I think it is a reasonable attitude to strive for in many types of groups.

Shal

Michael Pavan

On Jun 18, 2020, at 3:49 PM, Shal Farley <@Shal> wrote:

Michael,

While these Notifications might be informative and perhaps useful to
some, the additional email traffic they generate is unwelcome for many
people, especially if their Inbox is already very busy.
Impudent response: sounds like your members need to learn what the Mute link in the message footer is for.
I called no names.
My intent was to be anything but impudent, impertinent, insolent, cheeky, audacious, or in any way rude. I was acknowledging that some people might like these Notifications.

I do disagree with the notion that anyone needs more training, rather than Groups.io's features should be selectable to best suit all users.
Won't Groups.io be more successful if it is more user-friendly (easier to use) than not?

Why shouldn't Group Owners be able to customize their groups to best suit their participants?

Why insist everyone needs to use all features?
If so, why is it possible to choose/unchoose some, but not others?
And if not, what is wrong with easy, suitable controls to turn off undesired features, rather than having to undergo tedious workarounds?

In fact I don't have a problem with having a group option to Mute the new system notification hashtags for all members, as each new hashtag is implemented. Retroactively perhaps for the three recent ones (#file, #photo & #wiki).
If a Group Owner wants an option off, what is the need for some members to turn those on?
Isn't the Owner supposed to be able to decide that for each of their groups.

But I wouldn't do that to the well established #cal-xxx hashtags.
I believe the #cal-xxx hashtags started about 2 years ago - that doesn't mean that there are satisfactory controls for them yet...

Again, Groups/Owners/members may desire some, all, or no hashtags.

Michael,

I called no names.
I never thought you did.

My intent was to be anything but impudent, impertinent, insolent,
cheeky, audacious, or in any way rude.
I was applying that label to my own statement, not to anything you said.

I do disagree with the notion that anyone needs more training,
On the contrary, if a member doesn't know how to use the available features, then they can use more training.

Which was my point: a member who finds the additional email traffic unwelcome has an existing way to turn them off. But at the same time I recognize that many of those same people don't want to be bothered with having to deal with it. Which is why I labelled my response "impudent" - it doesn't show due respect for the other person's concerns and circumstances.

If a Group Owner wants an option off, what is the need for some
members to turn those on?
It is exactly what you said: "some people might like these Notifications." When the group owner disables the feature for all that imposes a worse user experience on the members who would like the feature.

Isn't the Owner supposed to be able to decide that for each of their
groups.
There is always a bit of tug-of-war between what group owners want to control, and what members want to control for themselves. The question is whether the service can find a healthy balance between these competing needs and wants.

In proposing a default muting scheme I am looking for such a balance: address the immediate need to tone down the surprise, provide a way for owners to pre-set members' preferences as they deem best, yet allow the members to change it if they so desire.

Shal

Sandi D

Our group is under an umbrella of a Parent Non-Profit. We are in the midst of updating 2020 content as well as proofing.
I am disturbed that 28 Wiki notifications were generated just TODAY! I did not see anything to check or uncheck to avoid members being notified.
PLEASE, find a way so that our members are not bombarded with Wiki updates. 
I am about ready to delete the entire Wiki site rather than to finish the Project of updating them.
Wiki was one of the most attractive features and overnight it has become a nightmare. 

--
Sandi Dickenson
ASG Volunteers Group.

Sandi,

PLEASE, find a way so that our members are not bombarded with Wiki
updates.
It's not perfect, but as a stopgap you can set the Wiki notifications to No Email, or put them on moderation and delete them in Pending. See:
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/21482

Shal

I did an informal survey of some of my members.  No one wants any/all these notifications sent to them.  They don't care what goes on behind the scenes, they just want useful information that is posted to the group that may help them with problems.  Even as a moderator/owner, there are very few that I'd want to see, mostly when something on the group is changed - photos added, wiki page added/changed, file uploaded, messages edited, etc. (and then via email, not instant browser notifications) - but not notify the whole group.  There's already been a flurry of complaints on GMF due to the notices being sent to the groups.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 11:08 AM, Duane wrote:
"I  did an informal survey of some of my members.  No one wants any/all these notifications sent to them.  They don't care what goes on behind the scenes, they just want useful information that is posted to the group that may help them with problems.  Even as a moderator/owner, there are very few that I'd want to see, mostly when something on the group is changed - photos added, wiki page added/changed, file uploaded, messages edited, etc. (and then via email, not instant browser notifications) - but not notify the whole group.  There's already been a flurry of complaints on GMF due to the notices being sent to the groups."

I  was quite surprised to realize that notifications of all kinds are now sent to the group. I wanted to see what had changed and tested it by uploading a file. I then realized that all of a sudden the little check box "notify members" was checked by default, the opposite of what was the standard all these years. So now, if one doesn´t uncheck it, every little upload or change is being sent to the group. This is not very appropriate, in my opinion.

The requirements of many moderators and owners - as I understand them - is the option to be notified when a member or another moderator uploads a photo, a file, a database or a wiki information, which is something that could be added to the rest of the notifications.

In my humble opinion all of these notifications for moderators should be optional (and owner´s privilege to set them), just like the rest of them. And the "notify members" check box for the uploading of files, photos and so on should stay empty so that they can be checked if desired.
Victoria

Dave Sergeant

And there has been a flurry of postings on here as well, most of which
I deleted.... The only notifications I NEED are new membership requests
for approval and the linked 'new member' one. I don't care if somebody
has added a new file or photo, if it is important they will comment in
the relevant message thread. Or for that matter loads of long
#hastags-yourfavouriteextension which just makes subject lines long for
no reason.

Dave

On 19 Jun 2020 at 1:47, Victoria via groups.io wrote:

I did an informal survey of some of my members.  No one wants any/all
these notifications sent to them.  They don't care what goes on behind
the scenes, they just want useful information that is posted to the
group that may help them with problems.  Even as a moderator/owner,
there are very few that I'd want to see, mostly when something on the
group is changed - photos added, wiki page added/changed, file uploaded,
messages edited, etc. (and then via email, not instant browser
notifications) - but not notify the whole group.  There's already been a
flurry of complaints on GMF due to the notices being sent to the groups.

http://davesergeant.com

Dave,
just to avoid misunderstandings: The above citations are Duane´s words. I cited them twice unintentionally and I fully underline them. In my message I then tried to specify the requirements of my groups.
Victoria

Duane

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 05:38 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
I've just discovered a serious problem with these notifications.  They all bypass the group setting of moderating all messages.  It's causing mayhem for several group owners.

Thanks,
Duane

For the record, I am loving the new push notification functionality. No longer do I have to go into the site, or check my email, to see that there's a message pending approval, etc. It just alerts me, quickly, efficiently, and unobtrusively. And if there is any particular hashtag I want to keep close tabs on, I no longer have to keep checking on that, either.

I don't see any problem with people not liking them because they have to be proactively turned on. I do see an urgent need to be able to turn off the message notifications, however. Shal's crazy-brilliant idea of setting the tags to "moderated," as well as to "no email," should work for most people meanwhile.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 02:20 PM, Duane wrote:
I've just discovered a serious problem with these notifications.  They all bypass the group setting of moderating all messages.  It's causing mayhem for several group owners.
Confirmed. You need the hashtag itself to be moderated in order to end up with a pending message.

Andy

Andy Wedge

Another thing I have noticed (testing some file uploads) is that if you lock the file upload topic in the archive and then do another upload:

a) the upload completes OK
b) a message is placed in the activity log to confirm which file was uploaded
c) no extra message is placed in the archive (as expected because the topic is locked)
d) here is no activity log entry to say that someone tried to send a message to a locked topic

I'm not sure if it is supposed to work that way or not in respect of (d) but it shows that locking the topic can also prevent new notifications being sent. I suspect the threading algorithm is playing a part here and a further upload in a few days time will generate another topic.

Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 09:53 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
Another thing I have noticed (testing some file uploads) is that if you lock the file upload topic in the archive and then do another upload:

a) the upload completes OK
b) a message is placed in the activity log to confirm which file was uploaded
c) no extra message is placed in the archive (as expected because the topic is locked)
d) here is no activity log entry to say that someone tried to send a message to a locked topic

I'm not sure if it is supposed to work that way or not in respect of (d) but it shows that locking the topic can also prevent new notifications being sent. I suspect the threading algorithm is playing a part here and a further upload in a few days time will generate another topic.
Seems to me that the hashtag's "lock topic" mechanism is best reserved to address Chris's concern about people replying to the notification (ref: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/25438).

For that reason I'd actually prefer that each notification appear in its own topic. 

Regards,
Bruce

Chris Jones

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 04:31 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Seems to me that the hashtag's "lock topic" mechanism is best reserved to address Chris's concern about people replying to the notification
If I'm honest I am now wondering about the wisdom of that idea, for reasons triggered by Shal's comment. I simply cannot work out in my own head what the optimum (for which read least annoying) settings might be, and being honest again I don't want to spend much time on thinking about it until the situation is more stable than it currently is; with the end point of the development being as yet undefined, any "solution" could turn out to be somewhat short - lived.

Someone - Andy I think - brought up Shal's occasional point about "least astonishment" at some point, and I think that ought to be a guiding principle here.

Chris.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 6:20 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

This should be fixed now.

Thanks,
Mark 

Mark,

They all bypass the group setting of moderating all messages. ...
This should be fixed now.
Ok, now they are held in Pending, but I can't Approve them.

Just now when I tried to approve a #wiki-notice by email nothing happened.

Earlier when I tried to approve one by web it ended up "claimed" by me instead. Another moderator also tried and failed to approve it, then deleted it instead.

Shal