New Locked Topic member notice #update

Hi All,

I just pushed a new `Locked Topic` member notice. If there is an active locked topic member notice, it will be sent to the group when a topic is locked using the `Lock Topic` dropdown in the Topics page. Also, in the `Topic Properties` page, when you click the `Lock Topic` checkbox, a new selector appears allowing you to send a specific locked topic member notice to the group when you lock the topic.

There are some other possible places where this could be used, but I wanted to get feedback before making any other changes. Here are some questions:

- Should the Active locked topic member notice be returned when someone emails a locked topic?
- Should the Active locked topic member notice be sent when a topic is automatically locked based on the group's `Automatically lock topics older than N days` setting?
- Should the Active locked topic member notice be sent when a topic is automatically locked based on a hashtag's locking a topic after a specific duration?
- Should the Active locked topic member notice be sent when a topic is started with a hashtag that has the `Locked` checkbox checked? Or possibly a selector to pick which locked topic notice to send?

Glenn Glazer

Yes to the first.

I don't use the functionality of the other three, so I will defer to those who do.

Best,

Glenn

On 06/03/2021 08:10, Mark Fletcher wrote:
[...]

#calcare
PG&E Delenda Est

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 04:11 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

As usual, questions can generate more questions!

- Should the Active locked topic member notice be returned when someone emails a locked topic?
Do you mean in addition to the usual rejection message or in place of?

- Should the Active locked topic member notice be sent when a topic is started with a hashtag that has the `Locked` checkbox checked? Or possibly a selector to pick which locked topic notice to send?
We use the 'locked' setting on the #poll-notice hashtag to 'encourage' people to use the web UI and vote online. A locked topic notice for a poll would therefore need to be worded different to effectively say 'go online to respond' whereas a normal locked topic response would be 'you can no longer respond'.  How do we differentiate?  If a poll topic is locked and the poll is closed, what happens then?

Regards
Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 11:11 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
- Should the Active locked topic member notice be returned when someone emails a locked topic?
Anyone can attempt to send a message to a topic that was locked days or months or years ago. If the active member notice has changed in the interim, it most likely bears no relationship at all as to why these older topics were locked (if it still did, why would you change it?).

So I suggest no....unless you can somehow "save" the associated member notice with the topic.

- Should the Active locked topic member notice be sent when a topic is automatically locked based on the group's `Automatically lock topics older than N days` setting?
Unless you want to create a second "type" of Member Notice for this purpose, I suggest no.

I expire topics after 60 days for no other reason than I don't want people replying to something many years old after having accidentally inverted the sort order of the archive.

- Should the Active locked topic member notice be sent when a topic is automatically locked based on a hashtag's locking a topic after a specific duration?
Again, I suggest that topics locked based on a "timeout" of any kind calls for a separate member notice...if you want to go there at all.

- Should the Active locked topic member notice be sent when a topic is started with a hashtag that has the `Locked` checkbox checked? Or possibly a selector to pick which locked topic notice to send?
I don't see the advantage of this. If you want to explain why the topic is locked with the first message, just say why in the message.

Generally, I'd prefer that we stop while we're still on relatively solid ground.

My $0.02,
Bruce

Glenn Glazer

On 06/03/2021 10:24, Bruce Bowman wrote:
On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 11:11 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
- Should the Active locked topic member notice be returned when someone emails a locked topic?
Anyone can attempt to send a message to a topic that was locked days or months or years ago. If the active member notice has changed in the interim, it most likely bears no relationship at all as to why these older topics were locked (if it still did, why would you change it?).

So I suggest no....unless you can somehow "save" the associated member notice with the topic.

Maybe the person forgot and needs a reminder?

Best,

Glenn

--
#calcare