Topics

New group message and chat message notifications #update


 

Hi All,

As part of the work on the app, I've added two additional notifications, one for when messages are sent to the group and one for when messages are sent to a chat you're subscribed to. They are listed in your Subscription page, under Member Notifications. They are checked by default.

Since the app is not currently generally available yet, the only way you'd see these notifications is if you've got notifications enabled in your web browser (under Account -> Notifications). Which is a small percentage of the Groups.io population. That said, I will not turn on the sending of these notifications until Monday, March 29th, which will give people time to uncheck the boxes if they wish. Again, even if the boxes are checked, and it's after Monday, you'll never see a notification unless you've configured your browser to accept them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mark


 

Could someone send me the app store link? Or the Test Flight link?


 

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 4:41 PM Robert Kingett <kingettr@...> wrote:

Could someone send me the app store link? Or the Test Flight link?


Please subscribe to the app subgroup, and when the app is ready, I'll post a link there.

Thanks,
Mark 


 

I want to make sure I understand this. These are strictly mod notifications, right?
Thanks.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Duane
 

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 10:09 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
These are strictly mod notifications, right?
No, they're shown in the new panel "Member Notifications" on each group Subscription.

Duane


 

I am really concerned about this, in that case. Will members now receive notifications any time any member posts to their group? Will there be a way, and preferably an easy way, for mods to turn off the default? If not, can this please not be the default?


On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 8:14 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 10:09 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
These are strictly mod notifications, right?
No, they're shown in the new panel "Member Notifications" on each group Subscription.

Duane


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Andy Wedge
 

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 11:03 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I will not turn on the sending of these notifications until Monday, March 29th, which will give people time to uncheck the boxes if they wish.
That could be an awful lot of boxes to uncheck for those who are subscribed to lots of (sub)groups.  Wouldn't it be better to opt-in rather than have to opt-out.

Andy


 

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 9:00 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 11:03 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I will not turn on the sending of these notifications until Monday, March 29th, which will give people time to uncheck the boxes if they wish.
That could be an awful lot of boxes to uncheck for those who are subscribed to lots of (sub)groups.  Wouldn't it be better to opt-in rather than have to opt-out.

At some point I will have a consolidated screen to make overall notification management easier.

Remember, no one gets any of these notifications unless and until they configure their browser (or in the future, app) to accept notifications.

Thanks,
Mark


 

Ok. Will try to remember. 😀


On Mar 25, 2021, at 9:05 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:


On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 9:00 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 11:03 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I will not turn on the sending of these notifications until Monday, March 29th, which will give people time to uncheck the boxes if they wish.
That could be an awful lot of boxes to uncheck for those who are subscribed to lots of (sub)groups.  Wouldn't it be better to opt-in rather than have to opt-out.

At some point I will have a consolidated screen to make overall notification management easier.

Remember, no one gets any of these notifications unless and until they configure their browser (or in the future, app) to accept notifications.

Thanks,
Mark

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Andy Wedge
 

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 04:05 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
At some point I will have a consolidated screen to make overall notification management easier.
That would make life easier.
 
 
Remember, no one gets any of these notifications unless and until they configure their browser (or in the future, app) to accept notifications.

I have notifications enabled in my browsers on my laptop and phone. I am also subscribed to 30+ groups and subgroups so I get the notifications for pending messages and new subscription requests etc. I don't really need extra ones for every message too. It looks like I'll be unchecking a lot of boxes.

Andy


Andy Wedge
 

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 11:03 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I will not turn on the sending of these notifications until Monday, March 29th,
I think it's 2021 now :-)



Andy


 

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 9:41 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 11:03 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I will not turn on the sending of these notifications until Monday, March 29th,
I think it's 2021 now :-)


Is it? Ever since the pandemic, it's felt like it's eternally March 2020.....

Fixed. :-)

Mark


 

Exactly! Which is why I reported that date “bug” a few days ago. 😀


On Mar 25, 2021, at 9:52 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:


On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 9:41 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 11:03 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I will not turn on the sending of these notifications until Monday, March 29th,
I think it's 2021 now :-)


Is it? Ever since the pandemic, it's felt like it's eternally March 2020.....

Fixed. :-)

Mark

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu