Topics

locked "My posts" view option #suggestion

RS

One thing I noticed on a more active group is that it might be helpful to have a button on the website that filters the messages or threads you are seeing to just your own posts.  Then you could more easily find your own activity and see who may have replied to it.  Perhaps a "track replies" feature for the web interface?  Just a couple thoughts as I am wandering around.

Nightowl >8#

Tyger, my problem is that I can't seem to always find the response I get in my e-mail on the site easily. Is there a way to know which posts are NEW and not previously read by someone?

Brenda

Brenda,

Tyger, my problem is that I can't seem to always find the response I
get in my e-mail on the site easily.
The message number can be found in the email header. For example look in your message for the Return-Path field:

The second number is the message number, 597, and you can put that into the new "Msg Num" search box at the top of the Messages View. My guess is that the first number, 68, identifies the group, don't know about the other two.

Feature: perhaps the message footer could contain the message number in plain view.

-- Shal

Nightowl >8#

Thank you, Shal!

I need to get a notebook out and start jotting all this down! I'm only up to having read message1- 22 so far, but I'm learning a lot!

Brenda

David P. Dillard

You may want to consider a Gmail email account as a "notebook". It is searchable with Google search and will be a place you can send all the messages you think you may need in the future as well as notes you want to send yourself with the ability to search word and phrase combinations when you need specific information rather than spending lots of time paging through a notebook trying to find a hidden treasure. One can even have different email accounts for different subject areas if one wants. You can also send your group members specific archived messages from that email to answer their questions and have that message also in your archive for future use.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 6:25 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

The second number is the message number, 597, and you can put that into the new "Msg Num" search box at the top of the Messages View. My guess is that the first number, 68, identifies the group, don't know about the other two.

129 is your user id, and 215 is your subscription id.

Feature: perhaps the message footer could contain the message number in plain view.

I'm concerned about 'footer bloat'. Do you think this would be useful enough to include?

Mark,

Feature: perhaps the message footer could contain the message number
in plain view.
I'm concerned about 'footer bloat'. Do you think this would be useful
enough to include?
Certainly a worthy concern. I think the number itself is useful enough, but not a lot of surrounding verbiage. Even the label "Message #" may not be necessary.

Perhaps integrate it with something that's already there, such as:

Message 653, you receive all messages sent to this group.
or even

You receive all messages sent to this group (#653).
That may not work semantically with some of the other subscription choices, I haven't seen those footers.

-- Shal

Nightowl >8#

David,

I understand the value of electronic "notebooks" I have a lot of those.

But ideally, I'm a pen and pencil person...or more specifically, colored pens & pencil. ;)

I am a writer by nature, and although the computer makes writing a lot easier in many respects, I love the feel of actually writing with a writing utensil. And my notebooks are searchable, because I use little colored tabs and dividers and all sorts of things to separate the data. :)

Yep, I know...I'm unique, but that's what makes me who I am.

Brenda

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

Perhaps integrate it with something that's already there, such as:

> Message 653, you receive all messages sent to this group.

or even

> You receive all messages sent to this group (#653).

That may not work semantically with some of the other subscription choices, I haven't seen those footers.

Something like that could work. It's a bit more than a tiny change to the code, so for now I've added it to the todo list.

Mark,
I think the message number should be on the message somewhere and easy to find. I don't use message numbers because I read and write by email and go to the site to approve pendings or use the Files. But some people do rely on them and so making them easy to see is probably a good idea. Especially for the technically-challenged <g>.

Susan B

On 1/14/2015 11:08 AM, Susan B wrote:
I think the message number should be on the message somewhere and easy
to find. I don't use message numbers because I read and write by email
and go to the site to approve pendings or use the Files. But some people
do rely on them and so making them easy to see is probably a good idea.
Especially for the technically-challenged <g>.
100% agreement here...

dg