moderated Moderator function has a #bug

Duane

While doing some testing for a topic on GMF, I came across a glitch that seems to be very important.  A moderator can't demote an owner, nor promote someone to owner.  However, in this test case, a moderator with all permissions was able to remove an owner's membership from the group.  In at least 2 locations, the membership overview and the individual member record, the Remove function allows an owner to be removed.  I didn't try it with the last owner, but I don't think a mod should be allowed to remove an owner at all.

Thanks for finding and reporting this, Duane! I concur with your concerns and believe this is a serious issue. I trust that Mark will look at it soon and apply his wisdom.

Dano
___________________

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 09:00 AM, Duane wrote:
I didn't try it with the last owner
I created a test group this morning specifically to check into this.  A mod with all permissions CAN NOT remove the LAST owner.  This would allow the remaining owner to take care of the problem - demote that mod and reinstate other owners - though it could be a bit time consuming.  However, I still think it's a #bug that they can remove ANY owner.

Andy

On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 11:09 AM, Duane wrote:
...  However, I still think it's a #bug that they can remove ANY owner.

In some cases, it might be desired.  If the owner's account has become compromised, or if the owner's intentions became devious, it might be better for moderators to step in and remove the owner.  If it's a free group, Mark might not intervene to help you.

At some point, you have to trust someone.

A moderator who has all privileges should be someone who can be trusted.  She/he was given all the keys.  If you didn't want that, don't hand them the keys.

Andy

Duane

On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 10:22 AM, Andy wrote:
If the owner's account has become compromised, or if the owner's intentions became devious, it might be better for moderators to step in and remove the owner.
I think that's a whole different situation since a mod can't remove the last owner.  BTW, I notice that you and some others refer to the owner when it's possible to have more than one.  If there's only one, a mod couldn't remove them anyway.

Duane

Andy

When I wrote the owner, I referred to the owner in question.

It makes sense that a moderator can't remove the last owner if as a rule there must always be at least one owner.

Q:  If a moderator has enough privileges to remove an owner, does that also give them the power to promote someone to owner?  (I think not, based on limited past experience.)

Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 12:35 PM, Andy wrote:
Q:  If a moderator has enough privileges to remove an owner, does that also give them the power to promote someone to owner?
No. That was changed last year (after a few false starts).

https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/71147681

Regards,
Bruce

Hi All,

I have changed it so that a moderator cannot remove an owner from a group.