Topics

moderated "moderate all messages of every topic this person starts" threads not showing moderated icon #bug #fixed

Good catch on the topic not being moderated at all, an additional bug. In the case I encountered, the OP was also NMM and the responder was on mideration, so both posts came through pending anyway and I assumed the topic moderation was happening.

The wording, IIRC,  came from an attempt to distinguish the status from MF, which is moderation of the first (rather than every) message in topics the member starts. I agree that changing it to “moderate every topic the member starts” might be incrementally clearer to some, but less clear to others. I have no opinion on it.

On Jun 7, 2020, at 7:36 AM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 02:02 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
so I know exactly what it does, regardless of wording. It is topic-level moderation.
Well I've gone back and read the option text again and also done some of my own testing. I can see that messages from other members get moderated so it does indicate that the topic is moderated. In addition to the moderated icon not being displayed as you mentioned, the topic drop-down menu shows a 'Moderate topic' option suggesting that the topic is not moderated which is also incorrect in this case.

I have to admit I've learned something new here but I still think the wording on the moderation option "Override: moderate all messages of every topic this person starts " could better indicate that this impacts the topic regardless of who posts rather than just the member where the option is changed.

Andy

Andy Wedge

[...]

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 06:04 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
moderating any individual topic is not a group action
Or you can call it a group-level action but that's just semantics. You can also call it a "topic-level action" that happens to be based on who starts the topic. It doesn't really matter what you call it. There are good reasons for this feature and if it doesn't suit some group's particular needs, they can ignore it.

Yes seeing your second message now. It moderates every topic the person starts. This is a simple bug with a thirty second fix. Not worth discussion. It does affect anyone else who posts to the topic, of course, but it is definitely not a group option, just as moderating any individual topic is not a group action. Nuf said. Let’s not rehash this feature?

On Jun 7, 2020, at 1:34 AM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 09:24 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
"Override: moderate all messages of every topic this person starts"
Having sat at looked at the wording of this option again I can see how 'all messages of every topic' it might be construed to mean that the the topic should be moderated but given that the option itself relates to an individual member that cannot be the case. Moderating a new topic based on the post of a member would then impact other members' ability to post to that topic and I think moderating a topic should be seen as a group level activity rather than one propagated to the group based on a member's settings.

Andy

Actually, I was the person who requested, and fought for (lol), that feature, so I know exactly what it does, regardless of wording. It is topic-level moderation.

On Jun 7, 2020, at 1:24 AM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 02:46 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
A member of my group is on "moderate every message of every topic this person starts" but the topics aren't showing the "moderated" icon.
The specific wording of that option is "Override: moderate all messages of every topic this person starts" so it's a message level moderation option rather than a topic level option.

Andy

Andy Wedge

[...]

Self-explanatory. A member of my group is on "moderate every message of every topic this person starts" but the topics aren't showing the "moderated" icon.