moderated "moderate all messages of every topic this person starts" threads not showing moderated icon #bug #fixed

Ok, mystery solved. It IS a bug.

The bug consists of a conflict between a member's individual MT status and the group's overall setting to moderate the first message of every topic. The group setting took precedence over the individual member's MT and the topic ended up unmoderated; only the first message was moderated.

The fix: a member's MT status should take precedence over a group setting to moderate the first message of every topic.

Andy Wedge

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 04:33 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
I have just conducted a test elsewhere and found results not consistent with observations made so far.
I've gone back and looked at this again and found my test subgroup was set to "All messages are moderated" (maybe a hangover from a previous test) so in this case the group setting seemed to take precedence over the member "Override: moderate all messages of every topic this person starts" setting and I ended up with no moderated icon on the topic and the Moderate Topic option available.

I removed the "All messages are moderated" group setting (leaving just Restricted Membership) and posted a message from my 'member' account that has "Override: moderate all messages of every topic this person starts" set. This time, the message was moderated and when released, the topic was moderated and showed the moderated icon.

I then unmoderated the topic using my 'owner' account and posted a second message to the same topic from my 'member' account which went straight through to the group archive. So, now I have a situation where a member account has a posting privilege with a description that contains the text "moderate all messages" and that isn't happening - somewhat confusing and contradictory I think.

If the description was changed to "Override: moderate every topic this person starts" (J's suggestion) it would more accurately reflect what happens in this situation.  I guess a clarification could be made about whether moderation was applied to the topic after the first post was published to the group archive or not by adding a suffix  "Override: moderate every topic this person starts (including the first message)".

Andy

I still don’t think the wording matters much but I see your point in the second case. At any rate, there IS a bug (not sure if you saw my subsequent post). The bug is that a group setting of “moderate the first messsge of every topic” is incorrectly taking precedence over a member’s MT status.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 02:49 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
The bug is that a group setting of “moderate the first messsge of every topic” is incorrectly taking precedence over a member’s MT status.
Before you reply that those aren't inconsistent: the group setting "moderate the first message of every topic" essentially puts everyone on MF status, which means, "moderate the first message of the topic and then you're done" (i.e., moderate the first message and *only* the first message). The "override" of an individual member's MT status is not happening if the group is set to MF.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 02:32 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
I then unmoderated the topic using my 'owner' account and posted a second message to the same topic from my 'member' account which went straight through to the group archive. So, now I have a situation where a member account has a posting privilege with a description that contains the text "moderate all messages" and that isn't happening - somewhat confusing and contradictory I think.
I would consider this normal behavior.  The system did it's job, but you manually overrode it, so it's no longer in charge.  If this is something that would occur often, I think the solution would be to make the member moderated.

Duane

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 12:49 PM, Duane wrote:
The system did it's job, but you manually overrode it, so it's no longer in charge.
Hi Duane,

I'm not saying that the system didn't do its job (first by moderating a topic and then allowing a post straight through when the topic was unmoderated) but what we're left with is a member with an option set that suggests all messages in a topic will be moderated when that is not the case. It's the wording of the option that doesn't seem right to me.

Regards,
Andy

Agree with Duane, you override it and the behavior is expected.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 05:00 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
It's the wording of the option that doesn't seem right to me.
Oh, yeah, I agree it's minimally funky, but I can't really see it causing any problems. The mod(s) knows the intended interpretation, and nobody sees it but the mod(s).